Back to Principles of Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Principles of Game Design by Michigan State University

4.4

You have a great idea for a game. Turning that idea into a reality isn't just about knowing the tools. In this course you will practice moving from game concept through design documentation, prototyping and testing. Numerous elements go into the overall process of game design. These range from topics such as idea generation, story, character, and game world development, game mechanics and level design, and user experience design. You will explore the process for designing meaningful experiences for your players. At the end of the course learners will have produced a game's high concept document, one page blueprint, a physical prototype, pitch and supporting design documentation to move from an idea in your head to a fleshed out design, ready for implementation....

JR

Mar 27, 2016

Great course!\n\nThought I wouldn't use the stuff that I learned in the videos at first, but as I started working on my own projects, I realised it was very important knowledge for a game developer.

MC

Apr 03, 2017

This course helps your game go from concept to reality. It pushed me to get a digital prototype made and ready to demo. Great depth of information related to game design and the gaming industry.

1 - 25 of 276 Reviews for Principles of Game Design

By Benhur O J

Apr 04, 2019

Pretty poor course. The lectures are incomplete. Most of the learning process is left for the assignments. Finally, the scoring system for the assignments is very subjective leading to unfair evaluation. Please revise this course because it is a pity so low quality while first course is so good.

By Duy N

Dec 09, 2018

hghg

By Kristopher C T

Jan 23, 2019

Great framework for game design. Got me focusing on a lot of things that I hadn't considered previously. I originally felt it started kind of slow, but that is how any idea starts. It needs to go through all of the steps necessary to make it a reality and Casey O'Donnell is great at teaching the process. Recommended

By Sildo N G N

Mar 01, 2019

G.R.E.A.T!

By Noman M

Feb 09, 2018

This course is a real help in understanding game development cycle.

By Michael A C

Apr 03, 2017

By Francisco J G C

Mar 21, 2017

Professor Casay is awesome! The course is very well handed and paced, I learned a lot. Also, I enjoyed extra lectures and videos, thanks for print your passion on this! Great job!

By Rubens Y

Dec 23, 2015

Excellent introduction to Game logic and documentation

By Ryan T

Oct 31, 2016

Well worth the time spent becoming more knowledgeable about what goes into making a game.

By torea f

Jun 22, 2016

There's a lot of ideas and materials to make you think.

I also appreciate the pragmatic tips and document templates.

The best course on game design I've seen so far!

By Yuancheng Z

Nov 02, 2016

特别棒!!学到很多概念和方法,知道了一个游戏从无到有的全过程,也尝试了做了两个。很好的课程,老师也很酷,很有趣。讲的超级好!

By Joanna K

Jul 22, 2017

I am very grateful for this course! Well-presented, great exercises and additional reading (the only suggestion would be to maybe update the material a bit, soon? :)). Really valuable!

By Daniel J C

Dec 04, 2015

I enjoyed the teacher. On online classes the teacher can make or break a class and this teacher did a great job at keeping my interest because he was obviously passionate, informational, and intriguing. Thanks for the great class!

By Mete O

Jan 13, 2016

It is very well structured, easy to watch&listen course. Highly recommended!

By Matt

Jan 18, 2017

Really great course. Highly recommend.

By Aleksandr B

Sep 19, 2017

I did watched all course. It was really interesting and useful course.

I already participated before in gamedev semi successful, few years project was fine, but latter was closed.

That course helps me to found right question, what I must ask my self when create and design game.

Thanks

By Rafal K

Nov 17, 2016

Excelent course. I've had chance to see how process of design game looks like. I'm new in games area so I've got a lot of usefull information. I also think that many techinick can be succesfully used in other life activities - especcialy brainstormin, idea creation ect.

By Andrew T

Dec 05, 2015

it would have been cool if they could have tied in some of the projects from the last course and talked about ways to better organize their design, but all in all this was a pretty good intro to game design. There were a lot of links to outside resources which was cool too.

By Caio A N d S

Nov 17, 2015

Amazing, I recommend to everyone.

By Angelo B

Feb 20, 2016

Very good course. A unique experience for who's interested in these topics.

By Hernán D E

May 12, 2016

Great course. A very good balance between practice and theory. This a very well documented course.

Sep 07, 2017

As a writer, it's a fun experience to design hands-on documentations! a great course for those looking for game design lessons.

By Luca R S

Jun 17, 2017

This course is amazing, it confronts you with questions regarding game design and forces you to find creative answers, all of this while getting your hands dirty! You'll think of the game as a pitch, then its story, then the whole thing as precisely and accurately as possible and, finally, you'll be tasked to prototype a part of it! It's an invaluable experience, and Casey O'Donnell does a really good job with the videos. There's only one question left: why aren't you taking this course yet???

By Robert C

Jul 05, 2017

Very good for idea building and turning those ideas into the start of something that could work!

By Randall C J