Back to Principles of Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Principles of Game Design by Michigan State University

4.4

You have a great idea for a game. Turning that idea into a reality isn't just about knowing the tools. In this course you will practice moving from game concept through design documentation, prototyping and testing. Numerous elements go into the overall process of game design. These range from topics such as idea generation, story, character, and game world development, game mechanics and level design, and user experience design. You will explore the process for designing meaningful experiences for your players. At the end of the course learners will have produced a game's high concept document, one page blueprint, a physical prototype, pitch and supporting design documentation to move from an idea in your head to a fleshed out design, ready for implementation....

JR

Mar 27, 2016

Great course!\n\nThought I wouldn't use the stuff that I learned in the videos at first, but as I started working on my own projects, I realised it was very important knowledge for a game developer.

MC

Apr 03, 2017

This course helps your game go from concept to reality. It pushed me to get a digital prototype made and ready to demo. Great depth of information related to game design and the gaming industry.

126 - 150 of 276 Reviews for Principles of Game Design

By Hernán D E

May 12, 2016

Great course. A very good balance between practice and theory. This a very well documented course.

By Ian L d C

Feb 08, 2018

I love games and now I know the Principles of Game Design!

Thank you Coursera,and also,Michigan Univesity!

I recommend all of you to make this course!

By Sanjit S

May 30, 2017

great course

By jorge f s

May 12, 2017

Very good!! I learned a lot about game design and how to be professional. Thank you very much!

By Maria A G

Jul 08, 2016

Really good course! Gives you the basic foundations you need for the specialization.

By Lucas B

Nov 18, 2015

It's an excellent course!

By Andre P

Nov 16, 2015

This course is perfect to giver an overall view of what is a game designer. It has interesting articles and templates inside this course that will help you to give a direction. I recommend this course to everyone who dreams to enter in the game industry.

By Elias E

Dec 21, 2015

Great course, i loving it.

By Thiago G

Dec 17, 2015

Just great!

By Johnny N

Dec 03, 2015

Amazin course coverin a lot of info about Game Design really useful for every aspect of the Game industry.

By Amol N K

Feb 27, 2018

Amazing course! Well thought out lessons and great Instructor/Teacher. It let me start out better!

By Gabriel C

May 15, 2017

Excelente curso, aprendí y mejoré muchas habilidades referentes al diseño de videojuego de manera teórica y práctica.

By Mithun K R

Jul 15, 2016

When I'd started the course, I did't like the course, because of the course is mainly theoretical! But soon I got to learn that Game Designer is the foundation and creator of games! And, I love the way our tutor taught the lecture. This is the best course for any game designer!

By Christian D A R

Mar 17, 2016

Great ideas and things to learn here, makes you think about a lot of stuff.

By Christopher T

Mar 25, 2016

This course covers everything you need to know about planning and designing your game. Don't be afraid to think big and even if your aren't sure about a game idea you have write it down and keep coming back to it. My capstone project was based on my design from this part of the course after many iterations of the idea and my game came out great.

By Camilo R

Jan 18, 2017

Excellent!! : )

By Lidia B

Dec 23, 2015

This course is very thorough, explaining game design principles (NB: not just the barest basics!) in-depth, yet it is not 'rocket science' in terms of difficulty - the material is conveyed in a friendly and comprehensible manner. If you're seriously passionate about game design, not just idly curious, this is definitely the course for you!

By Ben A

Oct 07, 2017

Great course! I learned a lot

By Oyetunji I A

Nov 04, 2016

Very Good

By Liron N

Jul 21, 2017

A very informative course, i learned alot

By Alan C

Sep 07, 2016

I probably have to rate this course 5 stars just for the supplementary reading materials provided. There's a lot of great information provided here. This course helps formalize a process that highly talented people just do intuitively. With the information within, you're able to better understand different aspects of your creative process. At times, the professor's delivery can be a little distracting (he has quite a few awkward pauses in the middle of thoughts, and uses the phrase, "right?" a little too unconsciously). I also found some of the lecture material difficult to connect in a practical sense. Some aspects of the design, play, experience model could use better examples in lecture to make the points more concrete. It is a deep model, and they do in fact point you to a whitepaper published on it so there is that, but just for the sake of the lessons; the examples need better explanation. The quizzes were easy, but challenging in the wrong way. Often, questions are posed that weren't ever directly answered in lecture or the materials, and sometimes they are worded in ways that make it difficult to pinpoint what they are looking for. It would be nice to see student responses to the free-response questions make a comeback in future lessons or at least know that they could possibly carry into the material used to teach the next incoming class. The assignments follow a logical progression, and again are supplemented with great materials. The review system is a little wonky. I've posted in the boards about this. They need to make the criteria more clear. The community activity is pretty low. I'm not sure how this can be addressed, but overall this is a great course and perfect second stop on the journey towards the Game Design and Development specialization.

By Hanlun S

Dec 07, 2015

Making progresses :)

By Kareem Z

Aug 30, 2017

This + The Art of Game Design = Bliss

By Mukund V

Jun 09, 2016

A really interesting course which details how games are designed from the inception of an idea, and what kind of work goes on before the actual development of a game. The instructor is absolutely brilliant.

By Carlos H J