Back to Principles of Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Principles of Game Design by Michigan State University

4.4

You have a great idea for a game. Turning that idea into a reality isn't just about knowing the tools. In this course you will practice moving from game concept through design documentation, prototyping and testing. Numerous elements go into the overall process of game design. These range from topics such as idea generation, story, character, and game world development, game mechanics and level design, and user experience design. You will explore the process for designing meaningful experiences for your players. At the end of the course learners will have produced a game's high concept document, one page blueprint, a physical prototype, pitch and supporting design documentation to move from an idea in your head to a fleshed out design, ready for implementation....

JR
Mar 26, 2016

Great course!\n\nThought I wouldn't use the stuff that I learned in the videos at first, but as I started working on my own projects, I realised it was very important knowledge for a game developer.

MC
Apr 2, 2017

This course helps your game go from concept to reality. It pushed me to get a digital prototype made and ready to demo. Great depth of information related to game design and the gaming industry.

201 - 225 of 349 Reviews for Principles of Game Design

Dec 9, 2018

hghg

By Stephanie B

Apr 29, 2017

This course has a lot of info to offer. The instructor is enthusiastic and provides lots of helpful links to articles, books, and resources that are really useful. I also appreciate that there is a portion of the course dedicated to social issues in games, which often get overlooked or dismissed.

However, the course appears to have been restructured at some point, which can make the videos confusing, as they refer to things you haven't learned yet or make you wonder if you accidentally skipped a video somewhere. That said, I also don't think the current structure is ideal, because what you're learning is sometimes at odd with the structure of the assignments—for instance, a game design doc isn't finished until a game is nearly done while a prototype should come early in the process. So why does the game design doc assignment come before the prototype assignment?

Also, while I appreciate that the instructor attempted to make the quizzes and grading more fun, the resulting options are often misleading or unclear. For example, the typical grading options are 1) You barely did it or didn't do anything, 2) You went above and beyond, and 3) This is pretty epic. If the person satisfied the requirements but didn't add anything else, do they really only deserve a 1? I didn't grade that way, but the options suggest I could have. Also, if the question is "Is this a zip file?" these options don't make sense at all.

Overall though, I recommend this course and give it 4 stars for the level and variety of information it covers.

By Martin H

Jun 24, 2020

As you would expect from a leading US university, the provided learning materials are professional, insightful and highly practical. Of course, designing games is an inherently practical exercise so you only gain real value from the materials by actually applying them as you design your own games. One important drawback of the learning materials is, as mentioned in other reviews, the course is a little out of date now.

The aspect of this experience that I was disappointed with is that the real benefits of MOOC learning, in collaborating with other learners, were not in-play during the course. I found no value in collaborative learning here, either in the forums or in receiving useful feedback from the assignment marking. I felt like I would be better off doing independent learning.

I've also got to say, the forums here are not very productive at all. There is little to no intelligent discussion around the course. I really don't understand the constant requests for assignment reviews by other learners. It's an automated system and you can't receive your grade unless you review others assignments.

It's a shame that there was little collaborative learning in the course I took, as there's real potential in this learning model. The provided learning materials are highly valuable but the other USP's of MOOC learning were not realised in the course I took.

By Roselle C

Dec 29, 2017

I'm still not done halfway through but like others who have actual game dev experience in the forum, I've taught about dropping out but approach this course as if I'm taking a game. This lecturer keeps going round in circles and the fact that I have to endure his salesman style teaching in another course is something I'm still not sure if I'm going to be able to pull through.

I'm still trying to put aside his whole "I'm going to spend more than a minute convincing you why something is great for you apart from actually telling you WHY it is great ACTUALLY for you" but I find myself not paying attention and increasing the speed of the video up to x2. Since I've already paid for it, I might as well go through with it.

Certain points are great though, I still did learn a lot from this. Was definitely disappointed in the beginning as the previous lecturer was very good. But kinda got over his irrelevant points and found the important bits somehow.

By Deividas B

Nov 30, 2020

Lectures gives good and detailed information about game design in general. Readings were especially good. But tests and projects were a bit off. Tests were even too easy or asked about things that lecturer said during videos that is not specific info about game design but his personal opinion. Projects were interesting and challenging. But problem was that during lectures there was not enough information how to do these projects. So quality of projects between peers were very broad. Overall I would recommend this course. The information was useful even for experience game designer. But keep in mind that you will spend much time on the projects and you will have to do those on your own with minimum guidance.