Back to Principles of Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Principles of Game Design by Michigan State University

4.4

You have a great idea for a game. Turning that idea into a reality isn't just about knowing the tools. In this course you will practice moving from game concept through design documentation, prototyping and testing. Numerous elements go into the overall process of game design. These range from topics such as idea generation, story, character, and game world development, game mechanics and level design, and user experience design. You will explore the process for designing meaningful experiences for your players. At the end of the course learners will have produced a game's high concept document, one page blueprint, a physical prototype, pitch and supporting design documentation to move from an idea in your head to a fleshed out design, ready for implementation....

JR

Mar 27, 2016

Great course!\n\nThought I wouldn't use the stuff that I learned in the videos at first, but as I started working on my own projects, I realised it was very important knowledge for a game developer.

MC

Apr 03, 2017

This course helps your game go from concept to reality. It pushed me to get a digital prototype made and ready to demo. Great depth of information related to game design and the gaming industry.

201 - 225 of 319 Reviews for Principles of Game Design

By Timothy V

Dec 04, 2015

At the start, I felt this course was mostly uninteresting, irrelevant and unnecessary. Pretty much a waste of time. But as things progressed, I discovered there were lots of great theory and concepts introduced that play a critical role in how the game industry and professionals need to think and work.

My only complaint after having completed this course is that the instructors didn't do a good job explaining why this course should be taken. Once you're in and working your way through, you should see the importance. But on first glance it sounds irrelevant.

By Sergii Z

Mar 25, 2016

This is a great course, if you want to hear The Questions you need to Answer to make a good game design for your game. It does not give you the answers, but it gives you a road map to follow.

Downside of the course are Quizes and Peer Reviews. Quizes sometimes have shady and non-clear answers, especially for non-native English speakers. Assignments grading criteria makes your peers to choose from 1 to 5. And 5 is "you did so awesome, that you've impressed your peer very much". And this is not happening often.

By Ivan A

Oct 10, 2016

The course is great but there is some room for improvement. One awesome way to improve learner experience, I think, would be to provide one or two examples about what is expected to deliver for each activity (good/bad examples from previous courses, preserving anonymity?).

I know a lot of creativity is involved in the process, but sometimes I felt like I was wandering in the dark, trying to complete an assignment without knowing whether I understood appropriately the instructions.

By G S

Nov 05, 2015

Great overview of how games are designed. Course includes brief overviews of key topics in a game such as mechanics, rules, story/narrative, input/output, and user experience. While not very detailed on each aspect the overview provides a starting point of the various ideas and components to consider when developing a game. Additional resources on examples of games and articles on the topics are useful in further exploring the concepts.

By Robert B

Dec 07, 2015

This course has some great content and assignments that I'd never make myself do on my own, for that I rate the course highly.

I did find myself often wondering exactly what was expected of me on the assignments, and during lecture I'd hear "this is something to think about...", but not what I'd like to hear which is "here's what to do".

Overall a great fit into the game development specialization.

By V.B.Srevarshan

Oct 15, 2018

This course taught more than just the principles of game design. I enjoyed working on assignments like story bibles and GDD. Though the content is a bit dry, I suggest you pay good attention to what the instructor says in the videos. My favorite part in the entire course is "Social Issues for designers" where the instructor talks about the current state of games.

By Alan S

May 14, 2016

É o primeiro curso que recomendo para quem deseja começar com game design. Porém só dei 4 estrelas pelo fato de não ter dinheiro para submeter os exercícios para avaliação. Se você puder pagar, vale muito a pena. O professor transmite de forma clara e com vários exemplos como criar uma ideia de jogo e como organizar o processo de concepção.

By Deborah M M

Nov 19, 2015

Very helpful information with lots of solid, practical advise (prototype! test!) and a few important questions to think about (genderfication? accessibility?) when designing. Excellent learning experience for game design documentation. Quite worth the time and effort. Thank you!

By Evert G

Jun 21, 2016

Very interesting course. I am already familiar with software dev documentation, so a lot of it was not new for me. The style of teaching in the previous course was more pleasant for me. But I am well aware it is just a personal preference. Very good course indeed. Thanks!

By Christopher C

Jun 12, 2016

The lecturer is very engaging and for the most part these lectures were valuable. A few of them bordered on "why are we talking about this?" though. Felt more like filler than actual value. I think this could have been condensed to three weeks without losing much.

By Kari L

Jan 09, 2017

My difficulty in completing this course is that I am having to actually develop a playable version of a game. The information in the course is excellent but it is taking more time than I have to develop the playable version of the game I used for the exercises.

By Eduardo R C

Mar 08, 2016

It's a really good course but I feel like you need more time to really do the assignments, one week between assignments is kind of little time to do all the design. Sometimes the lectures are not directly relationed with the assignments.

By Ramy D

Oct 15, 2019

Great course, I suggest that the final assignment should be restricted to Digital prototypes because while I was assessing one of the assignments I saw people submitting wrong assignments that has nothing to do with prototypes.

By Dmitry B

Feb 08, 2016

The course is not bad, right? It gives you interesting texts to read, right? And explains a design process, right? Is it OK to say right after each sentence? (English is not my first language, right).

By andraž g

Nov 18, 2018

Somewhere between the corse the lectures are mixed up. That means that you first have the questions then in the next part of the week there is a reading and explanation. This was kinda confusing.

By Jean-Scott D

Jan 22, 2016

Very good course, allows you to actually "think" and implement a game, which I love.

Only issue is the grading. I would change the name of the scoring, makes it easy for people to give bad grades.

By Adriano V

Nov 19, 2015

A lot was discussed, and many resources were offered, but I felt the general direction offered was too loose. When time came to do each week's assignment, I was not always sure how to execute.

By Jordão B

Sep 29, 2018

It has a good structure of teaching, but it is not supported and in several moments it is necessary to look in the forum to advance. I recommend if you do not have difficulty with this.

By Stanislav L

Aug 01, 2016

Peer review is really bad idea for such assignement when you are writing your very first design document. It's very subjective and peers cannot provide a valuable feedback on your work

By Kamran B

Feb 23, 2016

I learn a lot by doing assignments and reviewing other people's assignments. The important con of this course was some of its quizzes' questions which was ambiguous or badly framed.

By mMans

Aug 08, 2016

Nice lessons, but the "teacher" use too often the word "right", what is really annoying. I hope you can

eradicate this terrible habit and fix the course materials after that.

By Daniel M

May 06, 2016

Great content and great teacher. But I found the assignments and the quizzes not that great. I reckon the questions and corrections were a bit subjective and time consuming.

By Tony O

Jan 28, 2016

This course has made me more thoughtful and analytical, about things I did not really look at previously. Plus I learned to use Twine, it is a great tool.

By Jorge D d T

Aug 03, 2017

Love this course, help me to define en clear terms the game i always want to desing and implement. Amazing profesor, the evaluations though

By PhoebeXiong

Dec 14, 2016

A lot of conceptual stuff going on, I learned what's a high concept document, a game design document, and the importance of prototyping!