Back to Principles of Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Principles of Game Design by Michigan State University

4.4

You have a great idea for a game. Turning that idea into a reality isn't just about knowing the tools. In this course you will practice moving from game concept through design documentation, prototyping and testing. Numerous elements go into the overall process of game design. These range from topics such as idea generation, story, character, and game world development, game mechanics and level design, and user experience design. You will explore the process for designing meaningful experiences for your players. At the end of the course learners will have produced a game's high concept document, one page blueprint, a physical prototype, pitch and supporting design documentation to move from an idea in your head to a fleshed out design, ready for implementation....

JR

Mar 27, 2016

Great course!\n\nThought I wouldn't use the stuff that I learned in the videos at first, but as I started working on my own projects, I realised it was very important knowledge for a game developer.

MC

Apr 03, 2017

This course helps your game go from concept to reality. It pushed me to get a digital prototype made and ready to demo. Great depth of information related to game design and the gaming industry.

251 - 275 of 340 Reviews for Principles of Game Design

By Anirudh C

Oct 21, 2018

Insightful and enthralling! I learned game design in an orderly fashion along with dos and donts. Very useful.

By Dhesikan C

Apr 05, 2018

The bit boring. But perhaps teaches some of the most required skills and concepts required in a game coarse.

By José L E C

Mar 21, 2016

This was a very good course, however the assignments were too long to complete in only a week.

By Tarek E

Sep 27, 2018

Good content for the basics of Game Design, but the course lacks good graded materials.

By Zheng L

Mar 13, 2018

Lots of detailed knowledge of game design, which makes me more professional

By Elham P G

Jan 28, 2020

I learned a lot from this module but I must say theory is not my thing!

By Sergey B

Aug 08, 2017

This course has hard assignments. And videos don't really help with it.

By Andres C

Jul 08, 2020

Good Information, it need more participation on forums from students.

By Andreas Z

Jul 26, 2016

Very insightful course although the assignments were a bit redundant

By Thomas B

May 23, 2017

Learned a lot, but the videos could stand to be a bit more concise.

By René S K

Dec 20, 2015

The templates are very good, but the course videos are too general.

By yuan c

Aug 01, 2016

good game design introduction course, lots of concepts, great!

By Jackson K

May 01, 2017

Fun course although a little too conceptual for my liking.

By Zhang Y

Dec 27, 2019

This course is great for beginner!

The materials is good.

By Marc T

Dec 03, 2015

Once you set the video speed to 1.5 it improves a lot ;-)

By Carlos H A

Feb 13, 2017

This course is mandatory to design a good videogame.

By Kareem A H

Oct 28, 2019

4/5 cz its a little booring :3

By Ricardo M

Dec 06, 2016

Lots of good information.

By Vikramaditya G

By Gabriel A

Oct 19, 2015

Muy bueno

Nov 11, 2016

Good

By Nenad N

Feb 06, 2016

This course has a good starting point, but there are so many things that ended up being wrong that I just can't force myself to give it more than 3 stars (and I'm not sure if it should be 3 or 2 stars). I think this is also the first course on Coursera that didn't get 5 stars from me (not sure if I've given 4 stars once only).

So the bad parts first:

Assignments are so unrealistic it's unbelievable. Week 1 is doable. Week 2 is problematic if you have a complex idea, let's say it's still doable, but you would certainly need more time than expected weekly hour work. Week 3 is insane. It is so out of the scope of this course. And week 4 is even worse, I had to use pen and paper and then explain only 1 of the core mechanics (even that used more than expected weekly hour work).

Some of the quizzes are not fully clear if you are not a native English speaker. Sometimes I had to re-read things several times, and still wasn't sure what I was doing wrong (I realized that only after I managed to literally guess the correct answer).

And most of all grading is the worst I've seen in any course. All of it based on a personal opinion. Hey I even managed not to get full points for a "document is HTML/PDF/....". I mean - how can I not get full points there? It either is or is not a HTML. It's so much subjective that it's making it awful.

Now about the good parts:

Professor did a great job, the course inspired so many ideas for me.

The material is concise and it was a pleasure listening to this course.

Most of the courses are too slow for me, so I have to fast forward them to 1.5 and some even to 2 times speed. I've run this course only on 1.25 speed, which is a good thing. I'm not a native English speaker.