Back to Principles of Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Principles of Game Design by Michigan State University

4.4

You have a great idea for a game. Turning that idea into a reality isn't just about knowing the tools. In this course you will practice moving from game concept through design documentation, prototyping and testing. Numerous elements go into the overall process of game design. These range from topics such as idea generation, story, character, and game world development, game mechanics and level design, and user experience design. You will explore the process for designing meaningful experiences for your players. At the end of the course learners will have produced a game's high concept document, one page blueprint, a physical prototype, pitch and supporting design documentation to move from an idea in your head to a fleshed out design, ready for implementation....

JR

Mar 27, 2016

Great course!\n\nThought I wouldn't use the stuff that I learned in the videos at first, but as I started working on my own projects, I realised it was very important knowledge for a game developer.

MC

Apr 03, 2017

This course helps your game go from concept to reality. It pushed me to get a digital prototype made and ready to demo. Great depth of information related to game design and the gaming industry.

26 - 50 of 283 Reviews for Principles of Game Design

Feb 08, 2016

Great course, thanks!

By Eftychios G

Aug 05, 2016

It's a really nice course it's teach you a lot on how to design a game from begin and make it something big!

By Pamela P

May 05, 2016

Very thorough coverage of the topic. Helpful.

By Esteban P

Apr 22, 2017

Love it.

By Rubens Y

Dec 23, 2015

Excellent introduction to Game logic and documentation

By Andre N

May 14, 2017

Excellent course. I particularly enjoyed the additional reference materials provided.

By Eduardo I

Mar 09, 2016

Casey O'Donnell is very talented and knows a lot. Thanks for the course.

By Daniel J C

Dec 04, 2015

I enjoyed the teacher. On online classes the teacher can make or break a class and this teacher did a great job at keeping my interest because he was obviously passionate, informational, and intriguing. Thanks for the great class!

By bruno m

Sep 17, 2017

Amazing experience!

I really enjoyed the time spent learning from this course and it definitely is gonna be a reference when I found trouble prototyping.

By Joanna K

Jul 22, 2017

I am very grateful for this course! Well-presented, great exercises and additional reading (the only suggestion would be to maybe update the material a bit, soon? :)). Really valuable!

By Jose C

Nov 24, 2015

Great course.

By Michael A C

Apr 03, 2017

By Francisco J G C

Mar 21, 2017

Professor Casay is awesome! The course is very well handed and paced, I learned a lot. Also, I enjoyed extra lectures and videos, thanks for print your passion on this! Great job!

By Matt

Jan 18, 2017

Really great course. Highly recommend.

By cristina n

Mar 28, 2016

It would a 4.5 star actually. The thing is the course thought me more in just a few hours than a 4 month physical course in Game Design. That it super awesome.

There a few things here and there that i wish were more elaborated upon, but then again i only audited the course not participated in it actively.

By Wasif F

Mar 02, 2016

great instructor

By Ryan T

Oct 31, 2016

Well worth the time spent becoming more knowledgeable about what goes into making a game.

By torea f

Jun 22, 2016

There's a lot of ideas and materials to make you think.

I also appreciate the pragmatic tips and document templates.

The best course on game design I've seen so far!

By Mete O

Jan 13, 2016

It is very well structured, easy to watch&listen course. Highly recommended!

By Yuancheng Z

Nov 02, 2016

特别棒!!学到很多概念和方法,知道了一个游戏从无到有的全过程,也尝试了做了两个。很好的课程,老师也很酷,很有趣。讲的超级好!

By Dipo A S

Aug 28, 2017

This course could guide me to make my idea more concrete

By Ekaterina G

Apr 18, 2017

Very useful as basis to learn more! And the Professor is great!

By Kevin

Jan 28, 2016

Just perfect!

By Renato F

Dec 28, 2015

The best Game Design course ever!