Back to Principles of Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Principles of Game Design by Michigan State University

4.4

You have a great idea for a game. Turning that idea into a reality isn't just about knowing the tools. In this course you will practice moving from game concept through design documentation, prototyping and testing. Numerous elements go into the overall process of game design. These range from topics such as idea generation, story, character, and game world development, game mechanics and level design, and user experience design. You will explore the process for designing meaningful experiences for your players. At the end of the course learners will have produced a game's high concept document, one page blueprint, a physical prototype, pitch and supporting design documentation to move from an idea in your head to a fleshed out design, ready for implementation....

JR

Mar 27, 2016

Great course!\n\nThought I wouldn't use the stuff that I learned in the videos at first, but as I started working on my own projects, I realised it was very important knowledge for a game developer.

MC

Apr 03, 2017

This course helps your game go from concept to reality. It pushed me to get a digital prototype made and ready to demo. Great depth of information related to game design and the gaming industry.

26 - 50 of 318 Reviews for Principles of Game Design

By Lidia B

Dec 23, 2015

This course is very thorough, explaining game design principles (NB: not just the barest basics!) in-depth, yet it is not 'rocket science' in terms of difficulty - the material is conveyed in a friendly and comprehensible manner. If you're seriously passionate about game design, not just idly curious, this is definitely the course for you!

By ADRIANO C

Aug 01, 2020

The course has good support materials and, if taken seriously, will give you good insights of what you need to do to document your own gaming project. Unfortunately there are a lot of lazy students barely providing basic assignments meeting the bare requirements and I encourage to review them properly and not be afraid to comment on them.

By Nathan L

Apr 19, 2016

Very comprehensive and thorough introduction to game design. I gained lots of insight into what it really takes to be a developer, and the steps involved. This course really helped to explain the process of getting a game idea off the ground, fleshing out details, and making it presentable to a team or prospective producer. Thanks!

By Márlon P G

Feb 23, 2016

I really enjoyed this course, I learned a lot of thing that will help me to build better games and today I have a clear idea of the whole process of creating games. So I think that everybody that would like to build games, should do this course. Thanks to Coursera and Casey O'Donnell for providing this course.

By Jalen V

Jun 11, 2017

This is a fantastic course! It game me so much insight as to what goes on behind the scenes of the wonderful stories and adventures we see in many of today's video games. Probably my favorite course of the specialization. It made me feel creative, and helped me to bring more to my simple ideas for a game.

By cristina n

Mar 28, 2016

It would a 4.5 star actually. The thing is the course thought me more in just a few hours than a 4 month physical course in Game Design. That it super awesome.

There a few things here and there that i wish were more elaborated upon, but then again i only audited the course not participated in it actively.

By Luis M B G

Oct 14, 2019

This course taught me to think about and approach games in a different way. I'm now more observant about the world around me and how a "silly" or "normal" activity can become an interesting element for gameplay. Highly recommended for anyone who is willing to take games and game making seriously.

By Hernan C

Mar 22, 2016

A pretty nifty course for game design. I loved getting to work on the documentation planning for the game I was creating. Simple and easy to follow. Some of the quiz questions were a bit tricky as I had spent more time than I though I would, going back to the lectures to review the questions.

By Abhinav K

Jul 09, 2017

I love the instructor's style of teaching. He appears to be more of a friendly mentor, who himselves believes in what he teaches, and also has fun building games.

The course is also well structured, and covers a lot of concepts and facts without making it feel burdensome. Well done sire!

By Aleksandr B

Sep 19, 2017

I did watched all course. It was really interesting and useful course.

I already participated before in gamedev semi successful, few years project was fine, but latter was closed.

That course helps me to found right question, what I must ask my self when create and design game.

Thanks

By Esther P

May 28, 2016

This course gives great insight to the importance of planning out the various structures of a game before building it. The valuable resources such as the readings were also very much helpful. The instructor has a calm spirit and his lectures are interesting and easy to understand.

By Mithun K R

Jul 15, 2016

When I'd started the course, I did't like the course, because of the course is mainly theoretical! But soon I got to learn that Game Designer is the foundation and creator of games! And, I love the way our tutor taught the lecture. This is the best course for any game designer!

By Andrew T

Dec 05, 2015

it would have been cool if they could have tied in some of the projects from the last course and talked about ways to better organize their design, but all in all this was a pretty good intro to game design. There were a lot of links to outside resources which was cool too.

By Mathis D

Oct 24, 2017

Casey O'Donnel is an excellent teacher with a very compelling voice, who explains things clearly and is not afraid to repeat himself to dig it all in. He discusses game design theories and the basics of it in enough detail, and includes some very relevant aspects of it.

By Rafal K

Nov 17, 2016

Excelent course. I've had chance to see how process of design game looks like. I'm new in games area so I've got a lot of usefull information. I also think that many techinick can be succesfully used in other life activities - especcialy brainstormin, idea creation ect.

By Khushboo J

Jul 09, 2018

It was really good experience. The most challenging time was when they give you unexpected and big assignments and you get perplexed how to do them. Teacher was really cool and overall the course was very informative about all the basics of game designing.

By Andre P

Nov 16, 2015

This course is perfect to giver an overall view of what is a game designer. It has interesting articles and templates inside this course that will help you to give a direction. I recommend this course to everyone who dreams to enter in the game industry.

By Alan P

Jun 28, 2016

I enjoyed a lot to have classes with the teacher of this course.

O'Donnel helped me alot showing us some importants essays of Game Design and guiding us in the way to how to have a simple idea and work on it in order to make it in a good game.

Thanks!

By Ming L

Mar 08, 2016

This is a great course for the people like me, that have programming background and want to learn game design. The transmission from programming to design could be very challenge, but this course provides lots of help. Please enjoy the *hard* fun.

By kostas

Apr 06, 2017

The course is amazing.I started to work 1,5 year ago as a 3d modeler and i found out that many many people dont even know about how important is a good game design.Great presentation great teacher.

Thank you so much for the valuable knowledge.

By Pavilonis E

Dec 04, 2019

Hi Coursera fans!

I highly recommend that course to everyone who just think or start career in gamedev. Not only for Project leaders, but for developers or 3D artist. Simple, clear, wise Casey O'Donnell. Thanks, I enjoy every moment!

By Daniel J C

Dec 04, 2015

I enjoyed the teacher. On online classes the teacher can make or break a class and this teacher did a great job at keeping my interest because he was obviously passionate, informational, and intriguing. Thanks for the great class!

By Rafi u d

Jan 16, 2017

It was great opportunity of learning game development and designing process. I would like to recommend it highly to everyone who is interested in game development. It will boost your skills and concepts up to expert level.

By Juler H

Oct 18, 2016

I enjoyed this entire course from conception to prototype. Brought the game to life at the end. I wish there was more time for this course. Felt like I could have put a lot more detail into the game design.

By Mukund V

Jun 09, 2016

A really interesting course which details how games are designed from the inception of an idea, and what kind of work goes on before the actual development of a game. The instructor is absolutely brilliant.