Back to Principles of Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Principles of Game Design by Michigan State University

4.4

You have a great idea for a game. Turning that idea into a reality isn't just about knowing the tools. In this course you will practice moving from game concept through design documentation, prototyping and testing. Numerous elements go into the overall process of game design. These range from topics such as idea generation, story, character, and game world development, game mechanics and level design, and user experience design. You will explore the process for designing meaningful experiences for your players. At the end of the course learners will have produced a game's high concept document, one page blueprint, a physical prototype, pitch and supporting design documentation to move from an idea in your head to a fleshed out design, ready for implementation....

JR

Mar 27, 2016

Great course!\n\nThought I wouldn't use the stuff that I learned in the videos at first, but as I started working on my own projects, I realised it was very important knowledge for a game developer.

MC

Apr 03, 2017

This course helps your game go from concept to reality. It pushed me to get a digital prototype made and ready to demo. Great depth of information related to game design and the gaming industry.

76 - 100 of 281 Reviews for Principles of Game Design

By Alexander M

Oct 10, 2016

Some say you should make this course just when you have a ga.

By Thomas L

Dec 31, 2016

A great course - I thoroughly enjoyed it.

By Ant S

Nov 21, 2017

amazing course with a amazing tudor!

By Cristiano O d S

Jan 02, 2018

Excelente curso!!!

Me ajudou a entender melhor o processo do game design.

By Chelly B

Nov 20, 2017

Very informative beginning class for those interested in stepping into the world of game design.

By Valishin S

May 03, 2018

It's awesome!

By Yidi Z

Oct 04, 2016

It would be the best if the written feedback on assignments are compulsory. Currently it's sometimes difficult to get useful feedback

By Hernan C

Mar 22, 2016

A pretty nifty course for game design. I loved getting to work on the documentation planning for the game I was creating. Simple and easy to follow. Some of the quiz questions were a bit tricky as I had spent more time than I though I would, going back to the lectures to review the questions.

By kostas

Apr 06, 2017

The course is amazing.I started to work 1,5 year ago as a 3d modeler and i found out that many many people dont even know about how important is a good game design.Great presentation great teacher.

Thank you so much for the valuable knowledge.

By Kyle D H

Jan 03, 2016

I wanted to take these courses to supplement my own university's Game Focus in Computer Science curriculum, and I got even more than I'd hoped for. This course is the perfect introduction to key game design concepts that most universities don't teach (as opposed to pure programming), and I'm certain that my ventures into game development as a career will be much smoother thanks to this course.

By Márlon P G

Feb 23, 2016

I really enjoyed this course, I learned a lot of thing that will help me to build better games and today I have a clear idea of the whole process of creating games. So I think that everybody that would like to build games, should do this course. Thanks to Coursera and Casey O'Donnell for providing this course.

By Jayanth T

Oct 04, 2016

Amazing teacher, and amazing concepts! I REALLY enjoyed going through this course and learning a lot of great concepts for getting ideas for video games, and general advice for game design!

By Debasis K

Mar 26, 2016

Awesome course for Game Designers

By Alan B S

Mar 02, 2016

A great course

By Aleksandr B

Sep 19, 2017

I did watched all course. It was really interesting and useful course.

I already participated before in gamedev semi successful, few years project was fine, but latter was closed.

That course helps me to found right question, what I must ask my self when create and design game.

Thanks

By Kristina M

Jun 19, 2016

This course was a little stressful, but it seriously pays off. The instructor was excellent, he explains everything clearly and gave us quizzes and projects not only to do, but to really learn from. He discusses subjects that really are worth thinking about, if you are considering becoming a Game Designer. I highly recommend this course for avid learners and those that would love to work hands-on on projects that concern Game Design.

By Ivailo D

Sep 05, 2016

Very nice course ! :)

By Kristina H

Jun 28, 2016

The lessons were very informative. And the instructor made everything easy to understand and follow.

By Luis A C A

Sep 11, 2017

Excelente curso!

By István J

Feb 05, 2018

It was great! I learned a lot, I can recommend to everyone

By Rajesh N

Mar 14, 2016

One of the best course i have taken and would recommend it to everyone who wish to start a carrier in Gaming.

By Muhammad K A

Dec 24, 2016

Wonderful course

By Omar A F

Aug 29, 2017

I love it

By Tetiana L

Oct 08, 2017

Really liked the course. It was very useful and interesting! Thanks to the lecturer!

By Eugene B

Jan 21, 2018

This course give me a lot. From imaginary to where to start question answer.