Back to Principles of Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Principles of Game Design by Michigan State University

4.4

You have a great idea for a game. Turning that idea into a reality isn't just about knowing the tools. In this course you will practice moving from game concept through design documentation, prototyping and testing. Numerous elements go into the overall process of game design. These range from topics such as idea generation, story, character, and game world development, game mechanics and level design, and user experience design. You will explore the process for designing meaningful experiences for your players. At the end of the course learners will have produced a game's high concept document, one page blueprint, a physical prototype, pitch and supporting design documentation to move from an idea in your head to a fleshed out design, ready for implementation....

JR
Mar 26, 2016

Great course!\n\nThought I wouldn't use the stuff that I learned in the videos at first, but as I started working on my own projects, I realised it was very important knowledge for a game developer.

MC
Apr 2, 2017

This course helps your game go from concept to reality. It pushed me to get a digital prototype made and ready to demo. Great depth of information related to game design and the gaming industry.

76 - 100 of 358 Reviews for Principles of Game Design

By Mauro M

Feb 9, 2016

I find the course interesting in its totality. It's more difficult than the first course, because of its theory but every piece one near another makes the whole!

By bruno m

Sep 17, 2017

Amazing experience!

I really enjoyed the time spent learning from this course and it definitely is gonna be a reference when I found trouble prototyping.

By Mireila L D S

Jul 26, 2020

I learned how to create a document with a head, trunk and limbs, that is, a well-structured document to present ideas. Thank you :) Very good course :)

By Ian L d C

Feb 8, 2018

I love games and now I know the Principles of Game Design!

Thank you Coursera,and also,Michigan Univesity!

I recommend all of you to make this course!

By sri s a r

Aug 10, 2019

this course started me thinking individually and i learned from this course very much and it is more useful for every gamer or game design member

By Isaac E L P

Aug 26, 2018

Excellent and fundamental learning for becoming a Game designer. I's what gives shape to the ideas to become a complete game. Very recommendable!

By Vladimir N

May 31, 2017

Very useful course from concept thinking to direct planning of your/your team activity. It's good point to start how to know what to do))

By Christian M

Jun 14, 2020

Interesting. I had imagined a few games before, but this course gave me perspective, and what's more, tools, to go beyond that. Thanks !

By José F C P

Jul 14, 2016

Disfrute mucho del curso. Me costo mucho aplicarme por el problema del idioma, intento aprender el ingles pero es muy fuerte. Saludos.

By Yidi Z

Oct 4, 2016

It would be the best if the written feedback on assignments are compulsory. Currently it's sometimes difficult to get useful feedback

By Irshaad A

Oct 15, 2020

This is an amazing course with one of the best teachers that have taught me through out my life. He is every easy to understand.

Sep 7, 2017

As a writer, it's a fun experience to design hands-on documentations! a great course for those looking for game design lessons.

By Aditya N

Nov 12, 2019

I have never seen such an interactive and interesting course ever! Must take for everyone, no matter what is your background.

By Sanskar T

Sep 13, 2020

I really loved the course and now understand the essence to documentation in design before heading for making directly.

By Paul S

Aug 12, 2017

This course made me sweat a bit. Nonetheless, was fun and definitely gave me understanding on design sphere in gamedev.

By Gabriel C F

May 15, 2017

Excelente curso, aprendí y mejoré muchas habilidades referentes al diseño de videojuego de manera teórica y práctica.

By KRISTOFER-ANASTASIOS B

Jan 14, 2021

Great course! It is fun, it covers all aspects and offers many readings for anyone intrested to take an extra step!

By Pablo F S

Apr 30, 2019

Ótimos insights e profundo conteúdo teórico sobre o que faz um jogo ser bom. Ajudou muito no meu processo criativo.

By Jin E

Mar 13, 2016

I really like your course, It is easy but yet make me understand and have a clear point to start!

Great course sir

By Nathaniel S

May 18, 2017

Great Course! I learned a lot. Though not very 'hands on' as the first course was.. but still a great course.

By Rajesh K N

Mar 14, 2016

One of the best course i have taken and would recommend it to everyone who wish to start a carrier in Gaming.

By Ευτύχης Γ

Aug 4, 2016

It's a really nice course it's teach you a lot on how to design a game from begin and make it something big!

By Залужный А Д

Feb 22, 2020

I have learned so many cool things. That forced me to rethink some old ideas and make some new prototypes.

By Johnny N

Dec 2, 2015

Amazin course coverin a lot of info about Game Design really useful for every aspect of the Game industry.

By Keith S I

Sep 27, 2019

Very informative course really enjoyed. Help me get a bit more direction as an aspiring game designer.