Back to Principles of Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Principles of Game Design by Michigan State University

4.4

You have a great idea for a game. Turning that idea into a reality isn't just about knowing the tools. In this course you will practice moving from game concept through design documentation, prototyping and testing. Numerous elements go into the overall process of game design. These range from topics such as idea generation, story, character, and game world development, game mechanics and level design, and user experience design. You will explore the process for designing meaningful experiences for your players. At the end of the course learners will have produced a game's high concept document, one page blueprint, a physical prototype, pitch and supporting design documentation to move from an idea in your head to a fleshed out design, ready for implementation....

JR

Mar 27, 2016

Great course!\n\nThought I wouldn't use the stuff that I learned in the videos at first, but as I started working on my own projects, I realised it was very important knowledge for a game developer.

MC

Apr 03, 2017

This course helps your game go from concept to reality. It pushed me to get a digital prototype made and ready to demo. Great depth of information related to game design and the gaming industry.

126 - 150 of 289 Reviews for Principles of Game Design

By Andre N

May 14, 2017

Excellent course. I particularly enjoyed the additional reference materials provided.

By Johan R

Mar 27, 2016

Great course!

By Yidi Z

Oct 04, 2016

It would be the best if the written feedback on assignments are compulsory. Currently it's sometimes difficult to get useful feedback

By Wasif F

Mar 02, 2016

great instructor

By Gaston

May 26, 2016

Very usefull and with great material to read

By Robert C

Jul 05, 2017

Very good for idea building and turning those ideas into the start of something that could work!

By Carlos H J

Jun 04, 2018

Great Course!

By Mukund V

Jun 09, 2016

A really interesting course which details how games are designed from the inception of an idea, and what kind of work goes on before the actual development of a game. The instructor is absolutely brilliant.

By Iryna M

Oct 22, 2015

This course give me really a lot of!

By Sonja N S

Jul 30, 2016

Fabulous introduction into a world of Game Design and documents writing. Highly recommended!

By Matt

Jan 18, 2017

Really great course. Highly recommend.

By Rubens Y

Dec 23, 2015

Excellent introduction to Game logic and documentation

By Aleksandr B

Sep 19, 2017

I did watched all course. It was really interesting and useful course.

I already participated before in gamedev semi successful, few years project was fine, but latter was closed.

That course helps me to found right question, what I must ask my self when create and design game.

Thanks

By Noman M

Feb 09, 2018

This course is a real help in understanding game development cycle.

By Hernan C

Mar 22, 2016

A pretty nifty course for game design. I loved getting to work on the documentation planning for the game I was creating. Simple and easy to follow. Some of the quiz questions were a bit tricky as I had spent more time than I though I would, going back to the lectures to review the questions.

By Eftychios G

Aug 05, 2016

It's a really nice course it's teach you a lot on how to design a game from begin and make it something big!

By Francisco J G C

Mar 21, 2017

Professor Casay is awesome! The course is very well handed and paced, I learned a lot. Also, I enjoyed extra lectures and videos, thanks for print your passion on this! Great job!

By Adhiesha J

Jan 05, 2016

An exceptionally informative course that covers the more intricate principles behind the actual design of a game (not to be confused with the more technical aspects of development). From brainstorming ideas to developing a concept to actually testing your game before release, this touches on the more difficult thought processes that one may not learn by simply picking up a game engine and learning how to build a game from the ground up. Couple the concepts learned here with the technical skills from the game development courses (or your own technical experience and knowledge), and you'll be much better equipped to make a solid, marketable product.

By Angelo B

Feb 20, 2016

Very good course. A unique experience for who's interested in these topics.

By Alex Z

Dec 08, 2015

I was able to learn a lot! Worth the money.

By Esteban P

Apr 22, 2017

Love it.

By cristina n

Mar 28, 2016

It would a 4.5 star actually. The thing is the course thought me more in just a few hours than a 4 month physical course in Game Design. That it super awesome.

There a few things here and there that i wish were more elaborated upon, but then again i only audited the course not participated in it actively.

By Rohit S

Jul 17, 2018

As been curious for Game Development I never knew the theoretical side of Game Design and how important it is in order to be a Game Developer Second and Game Designer first

By Ali A K G

Sep 18, 2018

Nice course for a beginner game designer. Highly recommend it.

By Shashwat K