Back to Principles of Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Principles of Game Design by Michigan State University

4.4

You have a great idea for a game. Turning that idea into a reality isn't just about knowing the tools. In this course you will practice moving from game concept through design documentation, prototyping and testing. Numerous elements go into the overall process of game design. These range from topics such as idea generation, story, character, and game world development, game mechanics and level design, and user experience design. You will explore the process for designing meaningful experiences for your players. At the end of the course learners will have produced a game's high concept document, one page blueprint, a physical prototype, pitch and supporting design documentation to move from an idea in your head to a fleshed out design, ready for implementation....

JR

Mar 27, 2016

Great course!\n\nThought I wouldn't use the stuff that I learned in the videos at first, but as I started working on my own projects, I realised it was very important knowledge for a game developer.

MC

Apr 03, 2017

This course helps your game go from concept to reality. It pushed me to get a digital prototype made and ready to demo. Great depth of information related to game design and the gaming industry.

176 - 200 of 281 Reviews for Principles of Game Design

By José L E C

Mar 21, 2016

This was a very good course, however the assignments were too long to complete in only a week.

By Eduardo R C

Mar 08, 2016

It's a really good course but I feel like you need more time to really do the assignments, one week between assignments is kind of little time to do all the design. Sometimes the lectures are not directly relationed with the assignments.

By Dmitry B

Feb 08, 2016

The course is not bad, right? It gives you interesting texts to read, right? And explains a design process, right? Is it OK to say right after each sentence? (English is not my first language, right).

By Adriano V

Nov 19, 2015

A lot was discussed, and many resources were offered, but I felt the general direction offered was too loose. When time came to do each week's assignment, I was not always sure how to execute.

By Evert G

Jun 21, 2016

Very interesting course. I am already familiar with software dev documentation, so a lot of it was not new for me. The style of teaching in the previous course was more pleasant for me. But I am well aware it is just a personal preference. Very good course indeed. Thanks!

By Roselle C

Dec 29, 2017

I'm still not done halfway through but like others who have actual game dev experience in the forum, I've taught about dropping out but approach this course as if I'm taking a game. This lecturer keeps going round in circles and the fact that I have to endure his salesman style teaching in another course is something I'm still not sure if I'm going to be able to pull through.

I'm still trying to put aside his whole "I'm going to spend more than a minute convincing you why something is great for you apart from actually telling you WHY it is great ACTUALLY for you" but I find myself not paying attention and increasing the speed of the video up to x2. Since I've already paid for it, I might as well go through with it.

Certain points are great though, I still did learn a lot from this. Was definitely disappointed in the beginning as the previous lecturer was very good. But kinda got over his irrelevant points and found the important bits somehow.

By mMans

Aug 08, 2016

Nice lessons, but the "teacher" use too often the word "right", what is really annoying. I hope you can

eradicate this terrible habit and fix the course materials after that.

By PhoebeXiong

Dec 14, 2016

A lot of conceptual stuff going on, I learned what's a high concept document, a game design document, and the importance of prototyping!

By Andreas Z

Jul 26, 2016

Very insightful course although the assignments were a bit redundant

By Carlos A H A

Feb 13, 2017

This course is mandatory to design a good videogame.

By Kari L

Jan 09, 2017

My difficulty in completing this course is that I am having to actually develop a playable version of a game. The information in the course is excellent but it is taking more time than I have to develop the playable version of the game I used for the exercises.

By Christopher C

Jun 12, 2016

The lecturer is very engaging and for the most part these lectures were valuable. A few of them bordered on "why are we talking about this?" though. Felt more like filler than actual value. I think this could have been condensed to three weeks without losing much.

By Tony O

Jan 28, 2016

This course has made me more thoughtful and analytical, about things I did not really look at previously. Plus I learned to use Twine, it is a great tool.

By Timothy V

Dec 04, 2015

At the start, I felt this course was mostly uninteresting, irrelevant and unnecessary. Pretty much a waste of time. But as things progressed, I discovered there were lots of great theory and concepts introduced that play a critical role in how the game industry and professionals need to think and work.

My only complaint after having completed this course is that the instructors didn't do a good job explaining why this course should be taken. Once you're in and working your way through, you should see the importance. But on first glance it sounds irrelevant.

By Ivan A

Oct 10, 2016

The course is great but there is some room for improvement. One awesome way to improve learner experience, I think, would be to provide one or two examples about what is expected to deliver for each activity (good/bad examples from previous courses, preserving anonymity?).

I know a lot of creativity is involved in the process, but sometimes I felt like I was wandering in the dark, trying to complete an assignment without knowing whether I understood appropriately the instructions.

By Robert B

Dec 07, 2015

This course has some great content and assignments that I'd never make myself do on my own, for that I rate the course highly.

I did find myself often wondering exactly what was expected of me on the assignments, and during lecture I'd hear "this is something to think about...", but not what I'd like to hear which is "here's what to do".

Overall a great fit into the game development specialization.

By Daniel H G

Feb 06, 2016

loving it so far

By Mykyta T

Oct 30, 2017

The course itself is nice, but everything about the peer-graded assignments for weeks 2-4 just doesn't work.

By Daniel M

May 06, 2016

Great content and great teacher. But I found the assignments and the quizzes not that great. I reckon the questions and corrections were a bit subjective and time consuming.

Jul 01, 2017

Useful for making people think and analyze things and to develop new ideas, the methods used were quite interesting.

By Marc-André M

May 29, 2017

Another good course in the Game Design and Development specialization. I had a lot of fun making the prototype at the end.

By Jackson K

May 01, 2017

Fun course although a little too conceptual for my liking.

By Joel G I

May 08, 2016

There is a lot of writing here, but the course gives a better understanding of what is required outside of actually building a game

By Kamran B

Feb 23, 2016

I learn a lot by doing assignments and reviewing other people's assignments. The important con of this course was some of its quizzes' questions which was ambiguous or badly framed.

By Deborah M M

Nov 19, 2015

Very helpful information with lots of solid, practical advise (prototype! test!) and a few important questions to think about (genderfication? accessibility?) when designing. Excellent learning experience for game design documentation. Quite worth the time and effort. Thank you!