Back to Business of Games and Entrepreneurship

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Business of Games and Entrepreneurship by Michigan State University

4.4

As well as a form of art and entertainment, games are about business. Whether you want to work at a game studio, start your own business or make games as a hobby, recognizing the dynamic landscape of the videogame industry is critical to finding your place. This course will introduce you to game production, project management, teamwork skills, and how to position your game ideas and yourself in the broader marketplace. By the end of the course, you will be able to develop an impactful portfolio of game work to get noticed and/or develop an effective business plan to bring your game to market....

AA

Jun 05, 2016

A 'must' for everyone! Entrepreneurship is something unique, is not for everyone but can be reached with some effort. A course that can be applied to all areas. Nice experience.

RD

Jan 31, 2017

I am grateful to Coursera and MSU for this great leaning opportunity.Thanks Coursera and MSU for providing me such a great learning opportunity.Rafi Ud Din-Pakistan.

76 - 100 of 141 Reviews for Business of Games and Entrepreneurship

May 03, 2016

e

By Nenad N

Mar 12, 2016

Course assignments have nothing to do with the lectures. Most of the assignments could have been copy-pasted stuff from the previous course in this specialization. Same as with previous course - review point organization leaves too many space for individual opinions. Assignment with a video clip is something I didn't expect at all. I had to download a bunch of free software to make it, and I didn't make it good enough, because I'm not skilled in using those programs. Of course, it then reflected my average score, because review point system is too much oriented toward personal opinions of others. I felt this course gave me the least out of this specialization, and I also felt this course scratched a lot of things, but didn't quite get into many details that could have been mentioned (maybe even instead of the assignments that were quite dull to me). There is a section of clips that is a bit useless to those outside of USA. Unlike previous course, this one was at least doable inside the expected work hours / week (except for the video assignment which took me a bit more), and that's why I'll give it 1 point higher than previous course.

This review might sound a bit harsh, even though it's not the intention. With a bit of polishing, it could become really great, but it really could use some of the improvements I have mentioned above.

By Debora v b

Mar 29, 2016

The material was interesting and the professor was engaging to watch. But unlike other Coursera courses, I never did see any replies from a staff member to any of the questions posted on the forums. Other professors on Coursera reply to threads themselves or have a TA reply for them. I understand that one person may not be able to reply to all threads if the forum is active. But at least those asking questions to get clarification about the assignments should be answered. The class forum was not very active during this session and could have been easily watched more closely by one person.

By Matheus G L

Sep 30, 2016

The course content is good, although it is very "USA centered". It is very good for people with small experience in the professional market, no just the games area, but all areas.

Casey is a great teacher, he makes boring stuff be less boring.

The only negative point of the course are the assignments. Again, like in the previous course, the assignments are too subjective, too personal, hard to do and evaluate.

Unlike last course (Game Design), I really recommend this one, useful stuff.

By Timothy V

Jan 01, 2016

This course is good for someone that's interested in starting up a company - for video game development or really any kind of self-employed, consulting, freelance or even small business company. I've been self-employed for 15+ years and can honestly say I didn't learn anything that I hadn't already known. But my experiences in entrepreneurship and this course both are similar in content, meaning the class is a good resource for those who don't know where to start.

By Anders H

Jan 24, 2016

Very well designed and thought through.

A lot of information that you can continue to develop by yourself.

It gives you the tools and talks about processes which you need to surround yourself with.

The only thing I lacked was a bit more in depth for some of the latter assignments. Having a template would both be distracting, but also give you some examples on what the level needed would to be to be able to pass the assignments.

By Brian S P J

Jun 16, 2018

A very helpful, and somewhat depressing, course for people interested in learning the monetary side of the video game business. The lessons learned are very helpful for people interested in pitching game ideas and possibly starting their own business/studio. The depressing part is when it sinks in that video game creation is a multi-million dollar project unless you're resourceful and can do things at or near free.

By William H R

Apr 07, 2016

The Good

> A lot of content

> Provided a lot of outside reading material

> Passionate professor

> A lot of good refreshers (about CVs, teamwork, business practices)

Suggestions

> I hope in the future more time could be spent on monetization theories and practices

> More emphasis on mobile games (as much as I dislike them)

> Maybe some type of "case study" examples about games from conceptualization to publishing

By Rui M R H

Nov 10, 2017

While I did not enjoy this course per se, it was essential so I could better understand the game industry. Some US-centric perspectives do not drive anybody out of scope. I was able to understand and compare the equivalents in Europe. What I would improve would be some quiz questions. Some tend to be confusing, and even misleading in some cases. But overall, recommended.

By Scott T R

Dec 21, 2015

Many of the issues from the previous course have been fixed in this course. Not bad, but there were still issues with the video content not matching up well with the assignments. Especially in that the assignments are never talked about in the videos, especially how to create the papers that are asked of the student.

By Jaime R

Dec 18, 2015

Better than the second one. It should focus more on the specifics of the game industry. It provides much generalist advice that can be gotten in much better depth in other entrepreneurship content on Coursera

I missed a section on what are the main players on the gaming industry and a brief discussion of each

By Sam M

Oct 12, 2016

I find the course material at Coursera all very good. What is lacking is the peer review system. I understand that there is no way they could offer these courses at these prices. It is however the only reservation I have.

By Arturo E

Jan 12, 2016

I liked the course, it was not just about business with games but all the soft aspects related to making games as well as the ones more related with creating the company an so forth.

I enjoyed the course very much.

By Bernhard H

Apr 20, 2016

I felt this course was much more fair and the assignments were more realistic than in the previous course, it was better structured as well.

In general this course was very helpful and instructive.

By Kendal B N

Jun 07, 2017

Some business content but more of an overview of the wacky culture of Game Companies. It does get student to try and think about the realites of trying to make a game a financial success.

By Daniel M

May 05, 2016

Great content and great teacher. But I found the assignments and the quizzes not that great. I reckon the questions and corrections were a bit subjective and time consuming.