Back to Business of Games and Entrepreneurship

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Business of Games and Entrepreneurship by Michigan State University

4.4

As well as a form of art and entertainment, games are about business. Whether you want to work at a game studio, start your own business or make games as a hobby, recognizing the dynamic landscape of the videogame industry is critical to finding your place. This course will introduce you to game production, project management, teamwork skills, and how to position your game ideas and yourself in the broader marketplace. By the end of the course, you will be able to develop an impactful portfolio of game work to get noticed and/or develop an effective business plan to bring your game to market....

AA

Jun 05, 2016

A 'must' for everyone! Entrepreneurship is something unique, is not for everyone but can be reached with some effort. A course that can be applied to all areas. Nice experience.

RD

Jan 31, 2017

I am grateful to Coursera and MSU for this great leaning opportunity.Thanks Coursera and MSU for providing me such a great learning opportunity.Rafi Ud Din-Pakistan.

1 - 25 of 131 Reviews for Business of Games and Entrepreneurship

By Alex A

Nov 26, 2018

While the quality of the lecturer/professor and content production remain high and engaging, this discipline's ROI, value, and learning potential are degrading rapidly.

This section seems almost entirely filler, and although I acknowledge that my opinion is partly due to myself not being the target market; the assignment sections don't really even match up with the course content. (i.e. what does creating a game-specific competitive analysis have to do with corporation structures and resume writing?). This was a catch-all bucket of highly subjective content which while at times interesting, was extremely irrelevant to the learning and development I'm seeking/expecting; and that lack of ROI on my time is further destroyed by the activeness and peer-review elements of this class.

At the third class in this specialization, I've seen my willingness and effort for each assignment deteriorate. Are these courses dead? (the discussion boards are nothing but spammed links to review assignments from every corner of the earth). The feedback returned from peers is not substantial to improve, and especially with an entire class/section of purely subjective course assignments. In fact, I find myself in some sort of "pod", perhaps a result of timing, of receiving the same feedback from the same two-three people, and always in a position of not having any peer assignments to review myself (so I'm forced to go back to a dead forum and pull links of old students' requests for review, just to complete the course). Where are the actual admins and professional mentors/instructors?

Overall, I was happy with the learning and new information I received via the first course improving my hard/technical skills. While the second course was more subjective, it was still value-add and incredibly interesting, despite the peer+activeness critiques I elaborated on above. However, I felt this third course was an absolute waste of my time (maybe not so for others, fine), and there's really no tangible ROI to putting in the time or effort here other than trucking through this for the sake of completing the Coursera Discipline.

I remain eager and excited for the subsequent courses; as receiving structured guidance towards a Capstone project seems like worthwhile endeavor towards learning and development. Overall, through other courses on other sites like Udemy, this does not seem like something worth spending money on at this point - you just paying for pre-recorded videos with a university's logo slapped on them (albeit from an engaging and passionate professor), outdated/dead links, and almost 0 active students. The courses on Udemy are better managed, updated, and have communities of learners. This series could be posted to Youtube for free and have the same impact - to this point anyway :(

By Axel D

May 21, 2018

This course covers the basics of games business, but is clearly aimed at people with no previous work experience in the games industry. If you're already a professional thinking of starting your own company, you'll find some interesting information but a lot of it will also be redundant. I'd also like to point out that the Week 3 assignment requires you to produce a 30-60 second video with a recommended time of 2 hours, which is clearly unrealistic if you expect to produce quality work.

By Louis N

Aug 07, 2017

Very good course giving more than an overview of games development, which is what it takes to survive in this creative industry. Reality of games development.

By Samuel S

Mar 10, 2016

Great way to introduce the business of games. Gave me a very thorough understanding of the biggest questions one has about how money works in the industry.

By Tobias W

Jan 05, 2018

The content of this course is pretty valuable and important for game developers. Everybody wants to be creative and enjoy making games, but it's still a business and you want to make money, right? I went into the course not really expecting to be interested in anything, but a lot of the material was very insightful and will surely help me in the future.

Note: The material is mostly US centric, so if you're somewhere else, you'll have to put in some extra work to find out how some of the stuff works in your country.

The one thing that I didn't like about this course was that some of the projects didn't have much to do with the material taught during that week and many students were a bit lost on what to do exactly. Don't get discouraged, because everyone is in the same boat. Just see it as a challenge and do some research outside of the course, talk to people on the forums and it'll be fine.

By Sonja N S

Feb 28, 2017

Great course and plenty of useful information applicable to games and beyond.

By Alvaro M

May 24, 2016

It goes through basic yet VERY useful information on how to handle the many aspects of games as businesses.

By Eduardo R C

Apr 26, 2016

It is a very good course that covers multiple things, most of them would take an entire course to learn all the aspects but the teacher does a great effort to point most of the important things for the business.

By Isac d V O

Apr 14, 2016

Professor O'Donnell is always brilliant, giving well planned and interesting classes. Although I have my doubts if I would include this topic in such a short Specialization, the course itself is great, witty and will teach you important things about the business.

By Vignesh R

May 02, 2018

Good course and I love how passionate the instructor is.

By Muhammad U

Apr 10, 2017

If you are in Entrepreneurship and want to make startup then this is best to learn basics. Totally loved it!

By Jeffery S

Dec 30, 2016

Awesome

By Zack M

Apr 10, 2017

Really a great course. I recommend it to anyone interested in the Business of Games!

By Hernán D E

May 12, 2016

Great course, learnt a lot.

By Mukund V

Sep 18, 2016

An excellent course which explores the game industry and explains topics like intellectual property, teamwork, project management, and entrepreneurship.

By Eftychios G

Sep 06, 2016

Perfect Course to learn how you can move in game industry!

By Carlos D P G

Jan 17, 2016

Very interesting topics that are useful not only for the game industry but for anyone that wants to be a professionist in the future. I was not planning to join the game industry, but this video kind of motivated me to do so in the future.

By Joel G I

Jun 06, 2016

This course is very good for understanding the rest of what is needed to successfully complete games.

By Pamela P

May 24, 2016

Lots of great advice. Well organized and thorough.

By Mete O

Jan 03, 2016

Very well structured and handled!

By Rohaan K A

Mar 23, 2016

Out of the four courses in this specialization, this was the one I learnt the most from. To be honest, I don't really like business topics, and I felt a little bored, but the information in this course is too relevant for you to just skip aside.

By Armando M d S S

Feb 02, 2018

Make this course, you will enter in a completely new world

By Nikki P

Dec 04, 2017

the resource materials are gold

By Shu-Cheng C

Jun 07, 2016

I do learn a lot of the leadership stuff in the lesson, gaining more ideas about developing and designing games.

By Carlos H J