Back to Business of Games and Entrepreneurship

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Business of Games and Entrepreneurship by Michigan State University

4.4

As well as a form of art and entertainment, games are about business. Whether you want to work at a game studio, start your own business or make games as a hobby, recognizing the dynamic landscape of the videogame industry is critical to finding your place. This course will introduce you to game production, project management, teamwork skills, and how to position your game ideas and yourself in the broader marketplace. By the end of the course, you will be able to develop an impactful portfolio of game work to get noticed and/or develop an effective business plan to bring your game to market....

AA
Jun 4, 2016

A 'must' for everyone! Entrepreneurship is something unique, is not for everyone but can be reached with some effort. A course that can be applied to all areas. Nice experience.

RD
Jan 30, 2017

I am grateful to Coursera and MSU for this great leaning opportunity.Thanks Coursera and MSU for providing me such a great learning opportunity.Rafi Ud Din-Pakistan.

126 - 150 of 154 Reviews for Business of Games and Entrepreneurship

By Matheus G L

Sep 30, 2016

The course content is good, although it is very "USA centered". It is very good for people with small experience in the professional market, no just the games area, but all areas.

Casey is a great teacher, he makes boring stuff be less boring.

The only negative point of the course are the assignments. Again, like in the previous course, the assignments are too subjective, too personal, hard to do and evaluate.

Unlike last course (Game Design), I really recommend this one, useful stuff.

By Timothy V

Jan 1, 2016

This course is good for someone that's interested in starting up a company - for video game development or really any kind of self-employed, consulting, freelance or even small business company. I've been self-employed for 15+ years and can honestly say I didn't learn anything that I hadn't already known. But my experiences in entrepreneurship and this course both are similar in content, meaning the class is a good resource for those who don't know where to start.

By Anders H

Jan 24, 2016

Very well designed and thought through.

A lot of information that you can continue to develop by yourself.

It gives you the tools and talks about processes which you need to surround yourself with.

The only thing I lacked was a bit more in depth for some of the latter assignments. Having a template would both be distracting, but also give you some examples on what the level needed would to be to be able to pass the assignments.

By Brian S P J

Jun 16, 2018

A very helpful, and somewhat depressing, course for people interested in learning the monetary side of the video game business. The lessons learned are very helpful for people interested in pitching game ideas and possibly starting their own business/studio. The depressing part is when it sinks in that video game creation is a multi-million dollar project unless you're resourceful and can do things at or near free.

By William H R

Apr 7, 2016

The Good

> A lot of content

> Provided a lot of outside reading material

> Passionate professor

> A lot of good refreshers (about CVs, teamwork, business practices)

Suggestions

> I hope in the future more time could be spent on monetization theories and practices

> More emphasis on mobile games (as much as I dislike them)

> Maybe some type of "case study" examples about games from conceptualization to publishing

By Rui M R H

Nov 10, 2017

While I did not enjoy this course per se, it was essential so I could better understand the game industry. Some US-centric perspectives do not drive anybody out of scope. I was able to understand and compare the equivalents in Europe. What I would improve would be some quiz questions. Some tend to be confusing, and even misleading in some cases. But overall, recommended.

By Scott T R

Dec 21, 2015

Many of the issues from the previous course have been fixed in this course. Not bad, but there were still issues with the video content not matching up well with the assignments. Especially in that the assignments are never talked about in the videos, especially how to create the papers that are asked of the student.

By Jaime R

Dec 18, 2015

Better than the second one. It should focus more on the specifics of the game industry. It provides much generalist advice that can be gotten in much better depth in other entrepreneurship content on Coursera

I missed a section on what are the main players on the gaming industry and a brief discussion of each

By Sam M

Oct 12, 2016

I find the course material at Coursera all very good. What is lacking is the peer review system. I understand that there is no way they could offer these courses at these prices. It is however the only reservation I have.

By Arturo E

Jan 12, 2016

I liked the course, it was not just about business with games but all the soft aspects related to making games as well as the ones more related with creating the company an so forth.

I enjoyed the course very much.

By Mark H

Nov 7, 2020

Great course, but I don't like how I have to review other submissions in order to move on. I had to wait nearly a whole week for this course in order to make the amount of peer reviews I needed to.

By Bernhard H

Apr 20, 2016

I felt this course was much more fair and the assignments were more realistic than in the previous course, it was better structured as well.

In general this course was very helpful and instructive.

By Kendal B N

Jun 7, 2017

Some business content but more of an overview of the wacky culture of Game Companies. It does get student to try and think about the realites of trying to make a game a financial success.

By Daniel M

May 5, 2016

Great content and great teacher. But I found the assignments and the quizzes not that great. I reckon the questions and corrections were a bit subjective and time consuming.

By Eduardo D Z F

Aug 6, 2016

Awesome course! But I think It was a very short course. I wish it had more content.

Very expensive course for this amount of content...still I really like it =).

By Ricardo M

Dec 5, 2016

Excellent introduction to the business of games. Opened my eyes to just how much I have to think about when I decide to make a game development team.

By Carlos M

Feb 1, 2016

I believe the final assignment should be a Business Plan for a Game Developer Company. It would sum up all that we learned throughout the course!

By andraž g

Feb 25, 2019

Coveres about 80% off business side. It lacks marketing and differenct campaings for starting your game conpany or strategyes for getting funds.

By Rubens Y

Dec 22, 2015

Very interesting course in the business aspects of video gaming. Perhaps a little bit basic (for undergrads) but it has an awesome experience

By MoNa M M

Dec 3, 2019

It's a great course to get starting in game business, funding and improve my soft skills to work with other people.

By Xiaoxiong X

Dec 21, 2015

Game video pitch is the most interesting assignment. I have got chance to see other students' ideas.

By Dmytro N

Feb 25, 2019

Pretty good course for general overview of the industry, legal and production sides of games.

By Andrea P

Dec 26, 2019

Wonderful and complete course. I was just expecting a bit more about portfolio.

By Marcelo A C

Apr 12, 2020

A necessary course if you want to take game development more seriously.

By Nikolaos B

Mar 18, 2016

It was good and useful to get a better idea about the industry