Back to Game Design and Development Capstone

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Game Design and Development Capstone by Michigan State University

In the game design and development capstone, you will create an original game from initial concept through implementation and then launch it to the world! Along the way, you will have the opportunity to put your game ideas in front of your peers and for the best-of-the-best you will have the chance to get feedback from game industry professionals. The capstone experience gives you the opportunity to push your skills further and demonstrate your newfound skills as a game developer. The capstone also contains guest talks from game industry professionals at Riot Games, Deep Silver Volition, Iron Galaxy, Radiant Entertainment, Goodgame Studios, Stardock, GREE, Heart Shaped Games, Kongregate, and more....

JT

Oct 04, 2016

Really enjoyed this Capstone! It was a nice challenge, and it really pushed me to create a game out of my own imagination! It was definitely a great experience that I enjoyed journeying through!

JN

Jun 19, 2016

Going through this whole Specialization has been a great journey. Thanks to this final project we were able to use everything we learned.

26 - 37 of 37 Reviews for Game Design and Development Capstone

By Victor F P S

Jun 20, 2016

Really awesome, the best part of all the course, I learned a lot.

By Gabriel C

Nov 07, 2017

One of the best courses of game development ever! You go from the idea of a game, to create a game and finally publishing a game. The lectures are very helpful because the professionals come from different areas to give you a better understanding of the areas of game development.

By Jeffery S

Feb 26, 2017

I learn a lot from this course. Instructor is good. The last part is the guest lecture from the REAL developer, engineer, designer and etc. With the sharing of their experience make me understand better how to become a game developer. Other than that i also learn the pro and cons to become a game developer.

By Viola B

Dec 13, 2016

Very clear and detailed. I made and launched a game!

By Andrew C W

Jun 19, 2019

This was a great course where you create a game from scratch and publish it to the world. There are mostly progress reports and builds to submit. It builds on the prior courses in the specialization and has a wealth of information to the student to guide them on their game development journey. At first I was terrified about being able to develop a whole functional game in 8 weeks but managed to pull it off and I'm very proud I did! It's also very fun to play your peers' developing games and give them feedback. Who knows who will make the next hugely popular game!?

By Rodrigo A S

Sep 19, 2016

Some of the videos are really good. Unfortunately I feel there is little actual help to complete a project in the given time.

The great thing about this course is the feeling of publishing your own game. That is priceless :)

By Robert B

Dec 08, 2016

Great course series that forced me to take some steps (design docs) that I'd normally skimp on, and in doing so, realizing their true value.

Throughout Coursera I'd love to see more instructor involvement in the courses. The 100% peer review system is a double edge sword. On one hand, I never felt I had an instructor looking at my work, but on the other hand, where else can you get constructive critiques on the internet ;-)

Overall, great experience. Star-- for feeling a little bit on rails, and not feeling the instructor involvement.

By Cleyton M

Sep 12, 2016

Peer reviews are very unfair.

By Jakub Z

Dec 02, 2016

The course is interesting and serves its purpose - you WILL be able to make a simple game once you complete it.

By SFUA

Jun 20, 2016

Excellent capstones. But it would be mush better if there would be some lectures on Kongregate with example and exercises.

By Johnny A

Feb 21, 2018

Little time to make a complete game. Maybe a demo with one stage will be better.

By Leon S

Aug 13, 2017

I really enjoyed doing my project - but I cannot in good conscience give any real credit to this course for that. The course contains almost no useful information, and is instead littered with half-hearted webcam footage from people "in the industry".

Basically Courseras idea of exclusive paywall capstone content is to outsource the whole job to a bunch Windows Movie Maker-wielding twentysomethings and ask them to talk about their jobs. While a couple of these videos do seem genuinely motivated to be useful, none of them manage to say anything beyond the usual "work hard and be passionate" platitudes that you've heard a million times before.

If you're wondering whether the contents of this capstone are worth the price of admission, the answer is a resounding "absolutely not".