Back to Gamification

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Gamification by University of Pennsylvania

Gamification is the application of game elements and digital game design techniques to non-game problems, such as business and social impact challenges. This course will teach you the mechanisms of gamification, why it has such tremendous potential, and how to use it effectively. For additional information on the concepts described in the course, you can purchase Professor Werbach's book For the Win: How Game Thinking Can Revolutionize Your Business in print or ebook format in several languages....

BM
Jun 16, 2017

Very structured and interesting class about gamification. Kevin is a very engaging teacher and this course was perfect introduction to gamification. I highly recommend the course. Thank you very much!

FL
May 22, 2019

Excellent course! I found it very useful. It really builds a super strong foundation to think about this User Motivation and UX. The word Gamification is something that some people like and some hate.

1 - 25 of 676 Reviews for Gamification

By Víctor M R

Feb 14, 2019

The course itself is not bad, if you do not have previous knowledge in gamification. It's a good introduction that covers a few important aspects of this relatively new discipline. But you can feel many times that many of the lessons are already out of date (just take a look at the examples the teacher provides) and the situation of the market the teacher describes is gone. There are new issues and new challenges. Another important flaw, from my point of view is that he doesn't delve into the analysis of the examples, which would be much more practical, useful and interesting than trying to cover the course with this kind of pseudo-academic patina.

By Anshuman G

Jul 2, 2017

It was an interesting learning session - it gave me a more structured approach to gamification concepts which I can further use in Human Computer Interaction / User Centered Design approach in UX.

By Blanka M

Jun 17, 2017

By E. C C

Aug 14, 2017

Some outdated material, but overall a good introduction to the concepts of Gamification.

By Maryna A

Jul 21, 2019

One of the best courses I've ever had online. The topic of gamification is still new, so this course was the first and the only place where I could find all the necessary information. Every lecture contains a lot of data, so my strong advice is to follow carefully and make notes - you will definitely want ot get back to them. You will find articles, videos and books, advised by professor, if you want to dive deeper into the topic. This was also valuable to me, because there are a lot of books on game design, but you never know which ones are worth reading.

I work at the educational market, and I have already started implementing the principles of the course at my own course programs. I feel this is what I was looking for to make a boost for my business.

By Fabrice L

May 23, 2019

By Adriano L V

Apr 30, 2020

Great course, many insights, great examples and case studies. Full of interesting and motivating elements. A bit too long, on my opinion, maybe splitting in two easier and faster sessions could help.

By Sapna J

Jan 4, 2016

Insightful course, widens your horizon of thinking. After completion of this course I was able to understand and create many engagement activities in my profession of a Human Resource Officer.

By Evgeny T

Feb 24, 2019

Good course for starters. But i think it's need to an updated version, due to it's launch date - 2012, there is a lot things happens into gamification subject.

By sebastian m

Aug 29, 2020

muy completo y serio, sin dudas el mejor mooc en el tema

By Shailesh S

Dec 14, 2015

Awesome course. Contents, format, presentation, examples, narrative, depth. Learned a lot. Absolutely appreciate the knowledge shared by Professor and the efforts of all the people involved. One of the best courses I have taken so far and I'd highly recommend it to others. Some things which will make it even better - 1) maybe the whole course (learning/participation) itself could have been gamified 2) providing slide deck and notes for us to refer to 3) more involvement in discussion forums 4) some changes in language of questions and choices offered 5) direct involvement by CommunityTA etc for answering questions or clarifying things 6) Assignment #3 should have been in the week of Design (not application). 7) Providing summary points at the end of each lecture 8) maybe reduce # of video lectures per week. 9) Last but not least - offering "Certificate of Accomplishment" (free), not just paid ! We'd have felt nice to see the certificate and showing it off to our friends/colleagues (actual use of the things we learned in this course !). Thank you !!

By Connor W

Jul 2, 2017

Wasn't bad, but felt it should be updated. Also, I think the psychology element should have been taught earlier.

By Zhichao Z

Dec 25, 2015

这是我第一个MOOC的证书,超开心!

以下是我这六周以来学这门课的感受,希望对大家有帮助啦

其实很早之前就听说过mooc了,因为在我们学校大二的物理课有一部分成就是要上mooc上做这门课的题目才能拿到的。但是那时候并没有对其他的课程有太大兴趣。一直到现在大四稍微有点自己的时间就开始到处找东西学,就找来这了。

学这门课的初衷是因为我本身就是个忠实的游戏玩家(这门课的第一个镜头是WOW更是深得我心),而且我当时正在因为自己平时学习效率不高,没有办法很好的执行自己订下的计划,希望能自己设计一个比较游戏一点的方式来激励自己,所以就入了这门课。

总得来说,为期六周的这门课内容还是挺多的,比较系统的讲了游戏化的概念,产生及流行的原因,作用的内在机制,一些具体的设计步骤和方法,还有和游戏化密切相关的一些法律和伦理问题,虽然因为课时比较短,一些内容没能说得很深入很透彻,但是大体还是把整个游戏化系统都讲全了。

给我留下深刻印象的有这么几点:

1.老师很萌很幽默,经常一个人对着镜头傻笑个不停哈哈哈哈哈

2.每一次上课,每一个方面的内容,老师都会举出非常多的例子来辅助说明,其中不乏像可口可乐,TOYOTA,麦当劳等知名企业的游戏化案例,而且在说不同的课程内容时,老师会反复提出之前的例子,从不同角度来剖析这个案例。深刻而全面。

3.每一周老师都会邀请一个人做interview,有大学同事,有同样是游戏化领域的专家,也有在自己企业中成功运用游戏化的CEO,在课堂上现身说法,这些贴近生活的案例简直就是宝贵的教材,反观现在国内大部分教育,不是对着黑板就是对着课本,口可口可

4.这个课程的作业既有quiz,也有assignment,就是小作文。quiz的多选题比较难,错一个选项就全错,所以做作业的时候一定要谨慎再谨慎!小作文的话一开始上手会有些困难,毕竟有英语写嘛,建议大家不要太过于纠结语法啊时态啊这些东西,能够表达清楚自己的意思就行,反正如果你的英语水平一般,再怎么改还是会被那些英语母语的同学在互评的时候看穿,倒不如把时间和精力多放在怎么用文章的结构和关键词把自己的意思表达好。我认为这个才是最重要的。

5.推荐大家还是做做笔记,特别是老师PPT上的说明内容,很多都会考到,当然,能理解,变成自己的东西就最好啦。

By Mike Y W

Aug 22, 2018

I highly recommend this beginner's course to those interested in seeing the ups and downs of a purpose-built system that can motivate human behavior, achieve business objectives, and even work towards social benefit. The professor is genuinely interested in communicating to students his view on the topic, and the game he plays with students is an interesting twist to add in for such an online course. The final exam actually tests your knowledge, and is a welcome challenge. It was nice to see interviews from relevant contributors to gamification, and the "Site" movie was REALLY cool and was a great visual aid. It would be nice to see more updated material on the topic given this course is probably a few years old now, and quizzes / final exam should switch out all questions if taken again to make the student really work to understand the material. All in all, thanks professor for a great experience, and game on!

By Chase H

Jul 25, 2017

I really like the way we do peer review on our assignments where we exchange feebacks and ideas with other students. That really gives me more feeling that I am not just taking an online course but also I am in this learning community. I guess this is especially helpful to introverted people like me who doesn't have much energy participating in the forum. I have been working in the online game industry for more than 7 years and only recently I got to the concept of gamification. By taking this course I believe I not only learned a lot more about gamification, but also I got to learn more of why some games are better than the other. Big thanks for offering this course I will definitely be taking any follow up courses in this space.

By Irina K

Jan 28, 2016

This course is AMAZING! The professor managed to cram in so much theory in such a concise form, and all the theory is straight to the point and corraborated with real scientific research findings. I highly recommend to participate in all (even optional) discussions because they make you consider important things and reinforce what you've already learned. The practical projects were also great and really interesting! I'm getting a PhD in Educational Psychology, and I can tell you that this course is even better that those I took in my university. The information provided here is invaluable. And the teacher is awesome! So don't hesitate to take this course and enjoy! :)

By Martin C

Jul 25, 2018

Very comprehensive introduction to gamification; the concepts underlying it and its practical application. Course tutor Kevin Werbach cleverly gamifies the presentation of the material to ensure that participants are constantly engaged and motivated to concentrate and continue. Scope for updating of some website and app examples used as technology has moved beyond many of those used (especially with the advances in mobile technology). Otherwise excellent and I would wholeheartedly recommend the course to anyone seeking to learn about gamification specifically or indeed add to their knowledge of other subjects e.g. design concepts and behavioural psychology.

By PRADEEP Y I

Jan 31, 2019

It's a great journey full of detailed definition / examples & different layers of the gamification concept pumped with elaborated videos. The course is designed very well & wisely, which is delivering the expected objective seamlessly. As student when I started this course I never thought that Gamification would have such a great impact on human behavior. But know I know I has tremendous powerful tool which can be used anywhere to get the desired output.

I thank you all of them, who put their effort to make this course available for the seekers like me...! A special thank to Mr. Kevin Werbach, Mentors & coursera team.

Pradeep Indalkar

By Alessandro M

Apr 16, 2019

I am really satisfied with this course. It is thorough, well structured and gradually leads you to acquire the skills, structures and design techniques necessary to proceed independently. In particular it provides many frameworks to guide the designer in the various phases of gamification analysis. The interviews and countless examples of case studies are very useful. Professor Werbach speaks very clear English for non-native speakers. The subtitles are complete even if the Italian translation is not always correct. The grades' assignments are well set up and the performance is well guided.

Thank you very much Professor Werbach! Good job!

By Joe d S R

Jun 7, 2016

Excelente curso. Altamente recomendado para todos os profissionais de diversos campos de atuação que desejam atuar/adquirir conhecimentos voltados a Gamificação. Uma proposta de ensino bastante gratificante e dinâmica. Conteúdo e tarefas muito bem colocada e desenvolvida no decorrer das semanas. Espero em breve que a Coursera venha disponibilizar novos cursos voltado a Gamificação. Só tenho a agradecer pela oportunidade e pelo conhecimento disponibilizado. Este é meu primeiro passo dentro do assunto, afim de explorar infinitamente. De fato amei, eternamente Grato.

By jon r m

i would give this 5 stars but i would suggest rethinking some parts and updating the course given what the market is like right now. also it would be nice if there are more studies about how gamification fails. i guess a lot of problems in digital ideas is we learn from successes but we don't learn a lot from failures. Having said these i still think this course deserves 5 stars. I find a lot of useful info here that i have successfully applied in my job as an entertainment industry creative even halfway through finishing the course.

By Anver L

Dec 1, 2016

Wonderful course! Opens your mind to totally new, but, in the same tame, so obvious things that can improve your personal skills and team skills if only you could implement this Gamification knowledge! Prof. Werbach is really one of the most admired Guru in this area and his lecture is not actually a lecture =) It is a game like WOW and you simply jump into and learn with FUN! I reacommend this course to business leaders, team leaders and individuals looking for a change of paradigm! You'll enjoy as thousands of people did already!

By Domenico C

Jul 15, 2019

Information and topics are laid out very clearly from the very start.

Sources are solid, interviews are very rich and insightful. Models are very useful and I was even able to apply them right after completing the course.

High-spirited teacher. It was a joy to see his enthusiasm for adding Gamification examples in the course background throughout the whole course. As well as him showing off his World of Warcraft gear and affinity. That was almost heartwarming to see.

Overall, a very well-rounded and useful course.

By RODRIGO P P

Jul 2, 2017

I really liked the course! It was very challenging and fun! The new concepts that I've learned brought further, especially because it gave me a lot of new ideas on how I could use it in my new company. Some of the aspects of motivation and psychology I had some knowledge due to the position that I had at the last company I worked for (management trainee, supervisor and manager). Therefore, the course complemented the concepts that I had in mind. Thank you very much for the opportunity. It was awesome!!!

By Sebastien C

Feb 10, 2016

This is the best humanities course I have taken online. The lectures were thought provoking, and there are plenty of chances to think about and apply the concepts of Gamification outside of the lectures and quizzes. For example, the 'discussion' topics given were stimulating and rewarding to think about. A lot was left to the learner's imagination in wondering how the concepts could be applied to the real world - for better and for worse! The quizzes definitely tested the knowledge from the lectures.