Back to Gamification

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Gamification by University of Pennsylvania

Gamification is the application of game elements and digital game design techniques to non-game problems, such as business and social impact challenges. This course will teach you the mechanisms of gamification, why it has such tremendous potential, and how to use it effectively. For additional information on the concepts described in the course, you can purchase Professor Werbach's book For the Win: How Game Thinking Can Revolutionize Your Business in print or ebook format in several languages....

BM

Jun 17, 2017

Very structured and interesting class about gamification. Kevin is a very engaging teacher and this course was perfect introduction to gamification. I highly recommend the course. Thank you very much!

FL

May 23, 2019

Excellent course! I found it very useful. It really builds a super strong foundation to think about this User Motivation and UX. The word Gamification is something that some people like and some hate.

576 - 596 of 596 Reviews for Gamification

By E. C C

Aug 14, 2017

Some outdated material, but overall a good introduction to the concepts of Gamification.

By Jasper H

Apr 28, 2016

Good content with triggering assignments. I find the video's less engaging and recommend reading the transcripts.

By TJ T

Aug 31, 2016

The course is "ok" but not great. It has one instructor who teaches 98% of everything, which gets a little old. It also seems like there's not enough material for the length of time - very repetitive. Basically, you learn everything about Gamification in the 1st

By Rubén R

Nov 27, 2017

Focused only in gamification for enterprise. I don't get the framework at all, when doing assigments I rely on Deterding framework and get better grades (A2 100% / A3 100%). Needs to update examples and some questions in quizzes

By Torria D

Mar 27, 2017

Good information but I was hoping to be able to DO something by the end of the course. After scheming the transcripts, I noticed there was no opportunity to apply the concepts in a guided manner. That's why I didn't complete the course or fully engage.

By Connor W

Jul 03, 2017

Wasn't bad, but felt it should be updated. Also, I think the psychology element should have been taught earlier.

By David S

Apr 08, 2016

The main critic I can place on this course is its accuracy in time. I clearly felt while taking the class that it was recorded a few years ago and went unchanged since then. The professor mentions examples dating of 2011 for instance and some links were unfortunately not accurate anymore or referring to broken pages (even more important when the link is in the final exam!). This makes the participant’s feelings that the course isn’t really maintained or updated. I would say this is particularly troubling for such a class because even though the basic concepts won’t change, I expect this field of research to advance significantly year over year. We know how fast the digital world is moving and it is the same with games. Mobile games are expanding, MMO games are more and more present and new games designs are appearing. Hence these new developments have to have impacts on the gamification elements. We could think of games structures, designs, elements, etc. I am sure the professor will agrees with me.

This being said, the course was overall good. Content is satisfying with lots of concepts, examples to explain them and real life application. The professor did a great job in making the lectures interesting and easy to follow. Written assignments were a good way to make sure we understand and immediately apply the concepts of the lecture. I liked it.

Thank you for providing this interesting field of research on Coursera and all the best in your research in Gamification!

David

By Elvin G

Dec 15, 2015

so-so pnly

By Ashish K

Nov 03, 2019

The course suffers from the following shortcomings: a. The structure is very loose and you fail at various times to make the connect

b. The concepts are not very tightly wound with each other and keep hanging loose throughout the course. The examples are mostly of almost 6-7 years earlier and fail to give a contemporary touch in terms of business and social work implementations.

The above points apart, the course is good to get an overall hang of the subject.

By iHappy

Nov 05, 2018

Lost interest halfway trough the Week One.

This course is a bit too long and it doesn't get to the point right away. I mean, I came here because I wanted to learn the basis and actually apply it to my life. I am not interested in listening to all the history about gamfication... it's not like I will ever need that in my life, and it won't help me at applying this to my life.

Tried skimming trough the rest of the course but I have found more of the same.

Honestly, it was fun at the begging but than you went overboard with all the unnecessary talks about the stuff that's useless.

So, for anyone reading this, if you are look for in depth description of Gamfication, this course is for you. On the other hand, if you are interested in only the basics, save yourself some time and just googl "Gamification", you will find many useful articles which might help you to get started.

By Clemens W

Aug 17, 2016

Progressing a bit slow at times, and too often stating the obvious.

Positives: Good frameworks though, and plenty of examples.

By Janet B

May 26, 2017

1) Transcripts are not accurate and do not meet ADA standards. There are LOTS of spelling errors, such as"GEMIFICATION" or "GAMEIFICATION" and not even close on Theory names or multiple personal and business names. Without accuracy, it is impossible to find key terms in the transcripts for a quick review or to study content in more details - at my own pace.

2) Seems odd that a course on gamification does not use some of those principles.

3) Course seems a bit dated - with several references to things popular 5 -8 years ago - and lacks recently revised references to newer content. More history than the cutting edge of current trends.

4) Ok as an introductory course but its description does not clearly indicate it as such.

5) Lynda.com has a better (and sorter) overview of Gamification for Learning (with Karl Kapp) which is more specific to what I truly need to know.

By Henrique R d A

Jan 06, 2016

Good content but a bad course. It doesn't have clear rules and is not consistent. I recommend

enrolling to have access to the videos and the references, but don't face it as a serious course.

By Linda J D

Apr 09, 2017

The material is extremely out of date.

By Marcos P

Sep 21, 2019

For being a course on Gamification, I found this course to be quite boring. The professor has read and written some things about gamification, but he doesn't seem to have any practical experience designing successful games or gamified systems. As a result, much of the advice and knowledge in this course is very basic, something anyone who's spent an hour or so thinking about what makes the games they like great would already know. If you want to learn more about gamification, I'd recommend playing great games or reading articles from actual game designers. You'll learn much more from inference than the direct but very basic teachings in this course. Or, you can also audit this course and skim through the lessons at 2x speed only to pause when you find something that interests you. Other than that, this course isn't worth your money.

By Dotan F

Jan 08, 2016

Could not go beyond the 3rd lecture.

I have been taking some courses on Coursera lately, so I have some references, and this one is somewhat problematic.

After about 30 min. I felt it is not going anywhere.

If that 30 min. was suppose to be an introduction -it is a bit long.

By Martin C

Feb 13, 2017

Assignments have been thought as open questions in a multiple choice formats.

By Susan M

Jun 23, 2016

boring

By Eduardo P

Nov 21, 2015

to much theoric, i was expecting for something more technical. With more examples, infographic, maybe tools and design schemas showing how how to implement gamification, I saw another gamification courses that was much better than this.

By Thomas B

Jun 29, 2016

Very little that you can actually bring to the proces of using gamification in your studies or work. Each video is trying to sell you either the professors own book, or the course. The tests too are very low-skilled. The worst course i have ever taken on coursera. I dont want to pay for it, even i have completed the entire course and all the test questions. It's a waste of bot time and money.

By Connor L

May 29, 2019

Enjoy your $95 pay-wall at the end (*before* the end, I mean) of the section 1 quiz. The material so far was hardly insightful, and they want learners to pay for $95 of value they can't even see after only getting through mayyyybe $3 worth of value. The first two sections re-hash the same points over and over "What is gamification? What is gamification not? for 30+ minutes and then section 2: "What is gamification? What is gamification not?" The course was, from the looks of it, filmed in 2008 and not update one bit since then, and therefore has a ton of outdated information, statistics, etc. They're always talking about things being "new and emerging" when, by now, they're from a prior decade. Gag me with a spoon. Why would I or anyone else pay $95 just to see the rest of this course when the first section or two of it is utterly incompetent except for referencing a few factoids about the concept of a game from ancient philosophers which anyone could Google to grasp the same concept of. Definitely insulted that this course is asking twice the price of game design courses and music production courses I've taken on Coursera for not even a third of the quality of content. I'd pay $25 tops for this course if the rest of it is anything like the pre-paywall portion of it. And that's the problem: how could I know? I can't see beyond the first quiz. I'll just have to assume it's all trash and move in and lament the time I wasted being led to a surprise pay-wall. Coursera, this has severely tarnished my impression of your platform. Do not let this course continue to exist in the ways I've described here any longer.