Back to Imagery, Automation, and Applications

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Imagery, Automation, and Applications by University of California, Davis

Welcome to the last course of the specialization (unless your continuing on to the capstone project, of course!). Using the knowledge you’ve learned about ArcGIS, complete technical tasks such raster calculations and suitability analysis. In this class you will become comfortable with spatial analysis and applications within GIS during four week-long modules: Week 1: You'll learn all about remotely sensed and satellite imagery, and be introduced to the electromagnetic spectrum. At the end of this week, you'll be able to find and download satellite imagery online and use it for two common types of analysis: NDVI and trained classification. Week 2: You'll learn how to use ModelBuilder to create large processing workflows that use parameters, preconditions, variables, and a new set of tools. We'll also explore a few topics that we don't really have time to discuss in detail, but might whet your appetite for future learning in other avenues: geocoding, time-enabled data, spatial statistics, and ArcGIS Pro. Week 3: In week three, we'll make and use digital elevation models using some new, specific tools such as the cut fill tool, hillshades, viewsheds and more. We'll also go through a few common algorithms including a very important one: the suitability analysis. Week 4: We'll begin the final week by talking about a few spatial analyst tools we haven't yet touched on in the specialization: Region Group to make our own zones, Focal Statistics to smooth a hillshade, Reclassify to change values, and Point Density to create a density surface. Finally, we'll wrap up by talking about a few more things that you might want to explore more as you start working on learning about GIS topics on your own. Take Geospatial and Environmental Analysis as a standalone course or as part of the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialization. You should have equivalent experience to completing the first, second, and third courses in this specialization, "Fundamentals of GIS," "GIS Data Formats, Design, and Quality", and "Geospatial and Environmental Analysis," respectively, before taking this course. By completing the fourth class you will gain the skills needed to succeed in the Specialization capstone....

SM
Jul 16, 2017

The course contents are up to date and equip the learner to face the real world of Remote sensing and GIS. I encourage those who still hesitate to get enrolled to make their decision soon.....

AA
Oct 27, 2020

Very good course, but certain topics evaluated in this course were not well explain, specially remote sensing images processing (downloading and managing them to GIS)

26 - 50 of 107 Reviews for Imagery, Automation, and Applications

By LINDA A L

Jun 10, 2020

Nick Santos is an amazing instructor : kept me engaged in the course with challenging assignment & always ready to help out with ArcGIS bugs on Slack :D

By Bienvenu n

Aug 3, 2020

Thanks a lot for giving us this opportunity to learn this course!! And also I want to ask why at the submission stage on milestone project is locked?

By Rodrigo F T

Apr 9, 2018

Course is excelent, but I spent much more time than I expected... and had to change my old laptop for a better one so I could run some ArcGis tools!

By Jayanta B

Jul 31, 2019

Thanks for the opportunity. I have learned a lot of this from fundamental of gis to this imagery, automation and application course. thanks again.

By Marit d L

Jun 7, 2018

Really good course, learned so much from it, like with the previous gis-courses. It is very challenging but as soon as you finish, very rewarding!

By Paing T P @ A J R

Sep 25, 2020

After four courses, Course 1 and Course 4, this one are my favourites. At first, it's difficult, as I don't have knowledge about RS. It's good.

By Keith S

Oct 13, 2017

Spectacular. I am using these skills for risk assessment and I have become far more efficient and confident in my spatial analysis abilities.

By Pratyush

Jul 25, 2017

This course was awesome, although a bit difficult with the last project, but by the time you come to that you'd be well prepared to face it.

By Mark H

Apr 28, 2017

Great course, actually quite difficult, and good to get it finished and realise I've actually learnt a lot from having to do the assignment.

By Evan R

Aug 28, 2017

This course has everything a GIS analyst need to get started! All the core concepts has been throughly explained and put through practice.

By Benjamin S

Jun 18, 2018

Like the other classes in this specialization, this class does an excellent job of explaining a range of concepts and methods in ArcGIS.

By iliasmax

Sep 16, 2017

Great course. It offers you advance skills (model builder creation) so that you can accomplish your GIS work quicker and methodically.

By Bojan K

Dec 21, 2018

Very useful and helpful course on raster analysis and the use of satellite imagery in spatial analysis. Thanks a lot!

By Md A R S

Jan 21, 2020

With some advanced techniques, this course has proven to extract the ability of the learner. Highly recommended...

By Ashatai D

Sep 25, 2020

Amazing study material, well organized test and lectures. wonderful experience learning everything in details .

By Tomas B

Sep 28, 2019

Very much worth it, although harder and slightly more demanding than the previous courses in the series!

By Kazi J R

Aug 27, 2019

I've learned a lot about satellite imagery and it's applications via this course. Thank you coursera.

By Jolaade O

Dec 20, 2018

I have learnt a lot, really excellent, the assignment and discussion forum makes you want to do more

By Ramu S

Jun 7, 2020

Excellent class for GIS, this course give more data for our study and good understanding videos

By Miguel D S R

Jul 6, 2020

Excelente curso, muy interesantes las herramientas para aprovechar las imágenes satelitales.

By karmvir s r

Apr 23, 2017

Best of the specialization!!!!!! Amazing instructor, mentors and course material!!!

By Tahira I

Jul 22, 2020

A Great Course to learn Imagery and Automation and model builder concepts in GIS.

By Alexa C

Oct 26, 2019

Valuable information. Smooth learning, except some issues with the final toolbox.

By Kasi P

Sep 11, 2018

Amazing course with in depth concepts on Remote Sensing and GIS Applications

By Priti R

Feb 26, 2019

Great course to learn applications of remote sensing and imaging in GIS!