Back to The Global Financial Crisis

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Global Financial Crisis by Yale University

Former U.S. Secretary of the Treasury Timothy F. Geithner and Professor Andrew Metrick survey the causes, events, policy responses, and aftermath of the recent global financial crisis....

TS

Apr 09, 2017

Great course indeed. I was following the materials and videos of the crisis for a long time and this course perfectly summarized everthing back by data analysis. Highly recommended to all enthusiasts.

JC

Mar 16, 2018

Excellent course on the GFC, I would highly recommend this to anyone wanting to learn more about the crisis. The instructors were very good and took a complex subject and made it very understandable.

26 - 50 of 346 Reviews for The Global Financial Crisis

By Caelyn M

May 29, 2016

This was a great course. It was very well structured and the quizzes after each lecture were useful for quickly catching my own misunderstandings about the material presented. I learned so much from it and it really changed my perspective on the global financial crisis. My only complaint is that there no guidance on where to get supplementary information, either books or articles, on the topic.

By Ray A C

Dec 18, 2016

Excellent course, great lecturers very knowledgeable of the field. Both Lecturers gave an excellent explanation on their respective stand point on the crisis and how the effects were viewed, one from actually trying to mitigates the effects while the other observed. I will recommend this course to anyone in the banking field and search for similar courses to gain a better understanding.

By Alex M

Mar 25, 2018

Very strong, methodological course of a complicated subject, made easy to learn by the excellent stewardship of Andrew Metrick. Updates are overdue for the outfall of Euro-crisis. Timothy Geithner is not as natural a teacher and his lectures are less rich. Overall however the course makes for targeted learning with appropriate detail and analysis that challenges pre-econcptions.

By Rahul J

Apr 25, 2020

Really enjoyed the course, and I felt I learnt a lot! The professors provided a detailed, yet relatively easier to understand insight of an important event in our financial history. I would recommend supplementing the classes with a couple of movies - The Big Short, and Margin Call, in addition to the documentary Too Big to Fail. This will steepen the learning curve.

By David V

Oct 14, 2018

Professors are great speakers, well informed on the subject matter. The videos are broken into smaller chunks and the slides align well, which makes it easier to complete the exams. Overall, very pleased and learned quite a bit. The multiple choice questions seem to be the most difficult, as you really need to hunt for the answers within the video content.

By Judy H

Oct 01, 2016

This course is very informative. I was surprised how many pieces there are

to the financial puzzle. I found the suggested reading material to be interesting

and enlightening too. I plan to gradually read all of the books that I have not yet

read. The professor delivered the lectures in a clear and concise manner. This has

been time well spent. Thank you.

By Sabrina W

Apr 21, 2020

I am a central banker (G7) at the forefront of monetary policy implementation. I am actively engaging in policy response to the current COVID crisis on a daily basis. This course allowed me to better understand what worked and what didn't work during GFC and appropriate policy advice to provide. I gained new appreciation for my job. Thank you!

By Niccolò P G

Jan 27, 2017

I really enjoyed this course. It is the perfect choice for someone who would like to further deepen the knowledge of the subject. Moreover, although the lessons are registered and are not live-streaming, it still has been a privilege to hear what happened during the crisis from the lips of one of the major political Actors of that period.

By David J

Dec 04, 2016

This was an excellent insight into the key structures of the financial system leading to the 2007/08 crisis explaining how financial innovations in the shadow banking sector created systemic risk via runnable funding. Taught well with excellent insights from Mr Geithner on the actual experience to responding to the crisis and managing it.

By Mahika B

Feb 08, 2019

This course is extremely helpful for those willing to know the events that led to the Global Financial Crisis. I was not aware of aspects such as the Shadow Banking System playing an important role in 2008 and how it led to the collapse of the financial market. Timothy Geithner himself explains a module which was extremely helpful.

By ahn c y

Jul 27, 2018

I have read many books explaining Global Financial Crisis, but have been disappointed by the lack of well organized information. Each module recommends documents. I have spent much time to read all the documents with fun, which have helped me understand the root cause of Global Financial Crisis as well as USA government + FED.

By O.S

Jun 27, 2019

My name is Ornella D'Amore Sammy,Wish to express how grateful I am for the course it opens our visión from a historical and unfortunately recent financial crisis at the same time makes focus in the different amortization or impact policies.I enjoyed the lectures and readings and thanks for the support of the mentors as well.

By Rahul R B

Apr 23, 2020

This course is tremendously theoretical. The instructors explained every topic deeply and thoroughly. The topics taught in this course can be completely relied upon due its authenticity. I strongly recommend this course to anyone looking for a deep knowledge of The Financial Crisis and its functioning.

By Laurel S L

Apr 20, 2017

Excellent overview; top notch analysis of A complex topic presented thoroughly by knowledgeable economist in a way that made it surprisingly easy to understand. Beautifully done. A MUST do course for anyone in political or economic fields that involve or are impacted by G8 business/economic forces.

By Kushal D

Aug 15, 2016

Very insightful course. Prof. Metrick's and Secretary Geithner's lectures are thorough and very easy to follow. The course gives a thorough analysis of how financial markets work and how they fail during a panic. Definitely going to recommend this course to whoever is interested in this subject.

By Pruthviraj B V

everyone who has finance background want to know about the 2008 crisis this is the course one need to know. it will give you clear picture of what happened back then and how much difficult for the financial institutions and the policy makers to take decisions. overall its a wonderful course.

By Aditya h

Dec 25, 2015

Explains thoroughly the cause of the Financial crisis, contagion and prevention. Touches on the Euro zone crisis and the problems with single currency for member nations. The course parallels a documentary but at the same time elucidates on various fragments leading to the crisis

By ALEXANDRE J D S

Dec 12, 2019

The course exceeded my expectations. With cohesive content, real examples and perfect didactics, the teachers were able to pass their knowledge clearly and accurately. I feel much more confident in public speaking and presenting my point of view to the various stakeholders.

By Anirudh B

Feb 17, 2016

Excellent overview of the global financial crisis! Prof. Metrick does a great job dissecting the complex financial system to help understand the crisis. The modules are well organized and engaging. Really gave me an appreciation for economic policy and financial markets.

By Thomas G

Apr 24, 2016

This is an excellent course, blending financial theory with the practical experience of confronting a major crisis. I chose this course to get a broad view of the Global Financial Crisis in preparation for further reading on the subject; I am very happy with my choice.

By yangchun

Feb 22, 2019

It's very useful and with a clear logic of the course. And, the pronouciation of the professor is very clear, that is one of the main reason I can understand and continue the course. And the translation of content is helpful for me too. Exelent platform for leaners.

By Nicholas A C

Mar 19, 2016

This course offers very material of a high quality, with complex matter summarised in a very effective and helpful way. You are likely to gain interest new perspectives irrespective of background. Cudos to the organizers for a job very well done!

Nick Clark, CFA

By Leila Z

Feb 16, 2017

Highly recommend this course to people who interested in finance. It is an up to date course summaries the global reactions towards the crisis in 2008. Lots of valuable materials and data is available. Thanks to all the professors and staff working on it.

By Anuradha V

Aug 01, 2019

Excellent course! I thoroughly enjoyed the course content, which was accessible and insightful. The lecturers did a wonderful job in presenting various aspects of the financial crisis in a seamless manner. Highly recommend this course to future learners.

By Simon F

Aug 12, 2018

Instructors have prepared and organized course materials in a way that even learners with little knowledge in the field are able to follow. Please do spend time on the recommended readings that help paint a fuller picture of the 2008 financial crisis.