Back to Grammar and Punctuation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Grammar and Punctuation by University of California, Irvine

Course 1: Grammar and Punctuation Do you need to review English grammar? Have you forgotten the grammar you once studied? If so, this course is perfect for you. The first course in this specialization is a refresher on some tools needed for good writing. It will help prepare you for the other courses. You will need about 10 hours to complete this first course. Writing is a skill and to learn a skill well, you need to practice. In this course, you will watch short video lectures and then practice and discuss what you have learned. Make sure you take good notes and use the peer discussions to ask questions. Then you'll be able to remember the rules you learn in this course when you start writing essays in the next course. After completing this course, you will be able to: - identify the correct verb tenses to use - use commas effectively - utilize several different sentence types - write more effectively in English Please note that the free version of this class gives you access to all of the instructional videos and handouts. The peer feedback and quizzes are only available in the paid version....

KG

Dec 26, 2016

This is a very useful course even if you are very good in English . This course helps in understanding the type of sentences, proper usage of commas and perfect ways of writing attractive paragraphs.

DV

Nov 12, 2015

I am very satisfied with this course. It really helped me to improve my writing skills, and I am feeling more confident than I used to be.\n\nAfter this course, I am planning to take up the next one.

2251 - 2275 of 2,310 Reviews for Grammar and Punctuation

By Nilaakshi K

Mar 06, 2017

Although it should be simple enough, i found it hard to understand the material and sometimes, the videos would end without finishing the content.

By Lingfei T

Nov 09, 2015

This course is helpful and I have learned quite a bit about punctuation and sentence structures.

However, while things like tense are important, to be able to differentiate 12 tenses contributes relatively little to typical academic writing. Rather, I have had trouble with seemingly simple questions such as when to use past tense and when to use present tense in a literature review. But these aspects are probably the most useful when it comes to pracital writing. It would be helpful if these issues are addressed.

Also, the use of articles is a common weakness for a lot of students (to "the" or not to "the"). It is helpful to include this component too.

By Madhubanti G

Oct 19, 2015

I would have liked some more depth in the course. While the course name says "punctuation", it deals only with commas and to a small extent, with semicolons. The assignments and practice exercises need to be tougher. Also, given that this course is taken by students from all over the globe, it should mention that the "serial comma" is not mandatory in all writing styles.

By Ashish

Sep 27, 2015

Short course.

Please add more content to it.

By Mark H

Feb 26, 2017

Requires payment to complete the course.

By Xuelai W

Sep 23, 2016

Kind of... too basic?

By Kunal D

Jan 01, 2016

A solid course for those who require a refresher on certain grammar rules. But, in my opinion, the course should go deeper in the different parts of the English grammar. For example, what are gerunds or infinitives? Still a good course though! I really enjoyed the teacher, as well.

By nora b

Feb 24, 2016

Very useful and the information taught are well presented

By Martin H

Jul 24, 2017

Very good; however, the training apps did not work on my Mac.

By May M S

Aug 13, 2017

good to learn it's easy and useful i like it very much

By Mandeep K

Nov 09, 2015

I had a good time learning new things which are generally not told in your academics.

Thanks to UCI for offering it. Best wishes.

By Jocelyn A

Nov 24, 2015

The videos are really boring, however the course is good.

By Diego B Z

Mar 07, 2016

It's a good course, In the last lesson miss more examples.

By Rachael H

Feb 11, 2016

I think this is a good review for someone who has the basic in English grammar; however, if you're an ESL student or English-speaking person (who need to start over in grammar).

Study first before starting this course.

A lot of the feedback in the forum, I found to be poor except when it came from an English-speaking person.

You get a lot of: " OK, Great, etc..", no real feedback.

By Kelly E C

Feb 05, 2016

I couldn't finish it without purchasing it, in spite of active participation and high scores on all the assignments I had access to.

By waqasaps@hotmail.com

Oct 16, 2017

The course doesn't cover some of the punctuations but overall its a great course to start with.

By Elizabeth D

Jan 22, 2016

It was overall, alright. All of the group assignments killed it for me, though.

By Ravi K

Jan 19, 2016

it is very nice course, and improve my english writting style

By sinem

Jul 14, 2019

The exercices didn't work ,and I could not do them

By Xin J

Jul 15, 2019

Too simple.

By Uday K

Aug 08, 2019

Good videos on grammar and punctuation but not much on writing.

By Sophie B J

Sep 08, 2019

It was alright. Thought I would learn more than that, but I'm very thankful for learning about comma structure and so on.

By Kolesnik A

Aug 28, 2019

It provides essential information neither about punctuation nor about grammar. I would say it is too superficial. Advanced learners will not gain new knowledge.

By Casandra M

Nov 04, 2019

I wish that the lessons could have gone a bit more in depth and have more abilities to give the students practice or interactions with instructors.

By T. L

Nov 11, 2019

Must pay to sign up in order to submit final quizzes, etc.