Back to Grammar and Punctuation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Grammar and Punctuation by University of California, Irvine

Course 1: Grammar and Punctuation Do you need to review English grammar? Have you forgotten the grammar you once studied? If so, this course is perfect for you. The first course in this specialization is a refresher on some tools needed for good writing. It will help prepare you for the other courses. You will need about 10 hours to complete this first course. Writing is a skill and to learn a skill well, you need to practice. In this course, you will watch short video lectures and then practice and discuss what you have learned. Make sure you take good notes and use the peer discussions to ask questions. Then you'll be able to remember the rules you learn in this course when you start writing essays in the next course. After completing this course, you will be able to: - identify the correct verb tenses to use - use commas effectively - utilize several different sentence types - write more effectively in English Please note that the free version of this class gives you access to all of the instructional videos and handouts. The peer feedback and quizzes are only available in the paid version....

OI

Jul 03, 2020

This course was very helpful. It refreshed my memories and made me go back to so many things I thought I would never remember. It helped my writing skills a lot to. A big thank you to the instructors.

MB

Jun 26, 2020

I highly recommend this course. This paves the way to keep a note higher in my English skills particularly in grammar and punctuation. What a remarkable experience ! You will definitely learn a lot .

76 - 100 of 3,962 Reviews for Grammar and Punctuation

By Omar H S

Oct 26, 2016

The grammar and punctuation course was a learning experience for me not only I enjoyed it but also I learned a variety of concepts for an effective English writing ;yet, it's still the beginning,you will learn about the exact situation where to put the commas and many different rules don't miss it.I guarantee you,you won't regret.

By Lyn C

Dec 10, 2019

I loved this course because it was very thorough, and took a very complicated and confusing subject and made it easy to learn. I thought I was a champ at grammar and punctuation, but I soon realized that there were more options and rules that I did not know. The examples given were really good to use as reference in the future.

By prem s

Mar 08, 2016

First, I thought I wasn't going to get anything out of this course. But then I realized my writing had improved after finishing this course, I was really suprised to see that . Thank you for all your effort in making this course possible.I look forward to taking some of other courses in the same specialization. Thank you again!

By Manisha B

Jul 24, 2020

I loved the course. It contains a very detailed description of grammar and provides assignments to keep a check on our learning process. Moreover, I also found the reviewing part very interesting as it helps to connect to our peers and examine self-progress. Overall, a great course to develop one's grammar and punctuation.

By Yady M P R

Jul 23, 2020

I'm very satisfied with the course, learned new ways of carrying good writing, the times of each prayer and the structures, they handle the material given and the participation of other students at the world level very well. thank you very much for the opportunity you give us for these courses and that we can learn much more.

By Andrés R C

May 18, 2019

Me parece un curso increible para aprender a escribir en inglés. Nosotros como hispanohablantes tenemos problemas para escribir ideas concretas en los textos. En este curso aprendí a formular enunciados más complejos de forma correcta y a usar las puntuaciones mejor. Es fluido y bastante entendible, lo recomiendo ampliamente.

By Anita P

Feb 13, 2016

There were couple of things I was always confused during the sentence making. After this course, I was able to use interrupting phrase, transition words, parallel structure, and sentence variety much better. Grammar and Punctuation is a great course for people who need a quick refreshing of the grammar and punctuation rules.

By Syed J P

Nov 30, 2018

This course is really helpful to me in writing research papers. I really like the of explanation of topics in in this course from UCI as they are short videos, but very informative.I personally feel it is the one of the best way of teaching. Thank you very much for giving this opportunity.Keep going and continue good work.

By HARSH C

This is the best course I have ever learned before, so I would like to learn more courses. It is heaven for a student like me, who lives in a far place, and where is not a good English environment. For my side, I advise you to add more examples in the video lecture, and I have found some exercises not opened correctly.

By panzhiwei

Dec 20, 2015

I give 5 stars to this course because the materials of this course are very basic but very important, Such as Verb tense and Punctuation which I did not full understand in the past. But now, after finishing this course, I am more confidant about my writing. Thanks to the teacher and my classmates, you help me a lot !!

By WANG X

Jun 10, 2016

As a college level academic English teacher, I've learned quite a lot from Tamy's lessons. Tamy's instructions are very clear, systematic, and effective. This course can be a very valuable supplementary resource for EAP students' self-study. I will definitely recommend this course to my students. Thank you very much.

By MRMC

Jan 10, 2016

This course has taught me a lot of reminding about what I have already learned but have forgotten about them and served to validate them again. Excellent on line course and FREE AT THAT. Can't get a better deal than that. Congratulations to those involved in putting up on line such very informative and fun course.

By Zeb

May 01, 2020

First of all, thanks to the Coursera Team and the University of California, Irvine, for offering us such a great learning opportunity. This course not only equipped my thoughts but my fingers, as well. Furthermore, the course enhanced my writing skills, with perfect usage of commas along with sentence variety.Thanks

By Dr. A K

Mar 24, 2020

I really enjoyed revising things that I already knew and learning new stuffs for improving my writing skills. What I liked the most about the course is, it talks, straight away, about the required things without entering too much into the complex rules of grammar and punctuation. I look forward to take more courses.

By Shravani G

Jul 26, 2020

I would definitely recommend this course to a beginner .I really gained a lot of knowledge on grammar and punctuation.One must keep a book and pen handy because it's worth jotting down all the points explained here.I thank all the instructors and also thank the team members those worked behind the scenes.

By Md. J I

May 04, 2020

I have learned English as a second language. Being non-native to English, I have many areas to improve. Academic Writing is an important skill for anyone who wants to make use of this language at a professional level. This course has helped me explore the techniques and areas which shall always remain useful to me.

By Shubha G

Aug 15, 2016

This is a very comprehensive and useful course. Since this is a beginners course, the difficulty levels have been maintained accordingly. I have personally found it very useful to improve upon my punctuation and sentence formation, in general. Well designed and well structured. Highly recommended for the beginners.

By Imran H

Jun 10, 2020

This is the first course that I have finished in Coursera, and I am very impressed at the way you made this course engaging. I never felt boring and the exercises never got too challenging to lose interest. I wish all of the exercises were graded. But the ones that opened in a new window were good but not graded.

By SAKA SAMEERA

Jun 01, 2020

I learned and Revised a lot of topics that I did in my school and I would like to continue to the next stage of the course to completely furnish my writing skills. I would recommend to social sciences undergraduates because there is a lot of writing that goes into accomplishing the assignments we have. Thank You!

By Theodoros N

Jan 09, 2016

This course is very good for people that their English needs some correction ,it makes you think correctly about writing and also helps you in structure of phrases and punctuation. I like the way that the course was done ,thanks to all of the team (University of California, Irvine) ,you are doing a great work.

By Paula A F G

Apr 20, 2020

I like it. I would like you to set up better the course for people who is not signed into the certification because the plastform is still saying the I haven't completed this course but I have. It is just because I didnt write the questionarie of the end of each lesson because I have not paid for it. Thank you.

Apr 01, 2020

I've learned how to use commas and make diverse sentence structures perfectly! They offer high-quality lectures with comprehensive materials. I highly recommend it especially for students who is working on essays or documents to get into a college; also, it helps you to remind about how to punctuate correctly.

By Polina S

Jul 27, 2020

I'm really glad that I've taken this course, as I have learned a lot about English punctuation. This topic was mostly ignored during my studies previously, so now thanks to this course I feel much more confident in my writing skills. I really hope now I will be able to pass my IELTS Writing with a high score.

By LIDIA C

Jan 23, 2016

Es muy bueno. Empieza con lo elemental, lo cual me parece que es el mejor inicio para el tema. Prosigue claramente con las explicaciones sobre el uso correcto de la coma y el punto y coma, y finalmente brinda una orientación eficaz sobre la estructuración correcta de nuestras creaciones narrativas en inglés.

By Arquam E

Feb 16, 2019

It's a very helpful course to understand the correct uses of tenses and commas, I learned a lot of new things. The skills you will learn through this course will, surely, help you in improving your writing skills. I would recommend it to the beginners and to those who needs a polish in their writing skills.