Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required....

PD

Nov 27, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

AD

Dec 05, 2016

Loved it and all the examples the teachers put into it, as well as the organization and evolution of themes. Big thank you to the teacher ladies. I learned a lot and enjoyed the lessons very much.

51 - 75 of 230 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By Stella S

Jan 16, 2018

Super interesting!

By Daniel D

Jul 11, 2016

Great course!! Thank you, Coursera!!!

By Juachi O

Sep 21, 2017

Enjoyed learning about the evolution of Graphic Design. I do wish this course covered other countries. Perhaps I'll look that up independently

By Dave L

Aug 31, 2016

Pretty good for such a short course - interesting ideas and exposure to new concepts. Thanks!

By Alexandra D G G

Jul 14, 2017

really love this class!

By Utpal B

Apr 09, 2017

This is such a remarkable course and is indispensable for every aspiring graphic artist as well as enthusiast. It covers the remarkable trends in graphic design from past and how those trends permeated into contemporary practices in design. Thanks a lot to California Institute of the Arts and Coursera for developing and offering such a wonderful course with a blend of design philosophies and insights into hands on practice.

By Joshua L

Feb 24, 2017

It was definitely an eye-opening course for someone who only knew how graphic design works and none of the history behind it.

By AC

Oct 07, 2016

Liked the course. I would love to learn even more about the History of Graphic Design now))

By Leticia C R

Jul 17, 2016

Good information given. Thanks.

By Maike G

Oct 06, 2016

Really informative and interestingly conveyed. Thank you.

By Ana P B

Oct 25, 2016

It was very interesting to know this different periods and specific designer's works. I was surprised to know Sister Corita, her work is awesome. And the assignments were another very nice way to know other cultures and points of view.

By Radu V

Oct 11, 2016

I love it!

By Jill C

Jun 18, 2018

I've been interested in graphic design for a long time but have no background in it, and this was a great introduction for me. (I can imagine it being too basic for those from the art or design world, but for me it was perfect.) I looked forward to watching the lectures, and I enjoyed doing the assignments more than I expected to.

By Ampol A

Dec 26, 2017

W1 - Completed

W2 - Completed

W3 - Completed

W4 - Completed

By Anand V

Jun 28, 2018

The design created in past really create ideas for present trend

By David A V D S

Apr 25, 2018

Wow! that was a new experience for a designer like me. Good job!

By Claveau

Jan 18, 2017

I learn a lot, thank you !

By Elsa P

Dec 15, 2017

This is a great introductory course in the history of design. The material was presented clearly and it's very well planned and organized. I had some issues with the audio but this is a minor issue that can be easily fixed

By Adele

Sep 18, 2017

西方设计历史上可供借鉴学习的典型时期介绍。

By SYED Q

Nov 11, 2017

it was great

By Brenda R

Jun 07, 2018

I thought it would be boring, but they made it very fun and interesting! Enjoyed it a lot!

By Juliette L S

Nov 07, 2016

Great class! learned a lot about the history of design and how the techniques are still being used today

By Anastasia O

Jun 25, 2018

Very interesting and thought provoking. I really enjoyed the class!

By Maria J B V

Sep 11, 2017

Excellent course, I like it :)

By Julia K

Jan 30, 2017

Thanks for intresting courses!