Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required....

PD

Nov 27, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

AD

Dec 05, 2016

Loved it and all the examples the teachers put into it, as well as the organization and evolution of themes. Big thank you to the teacher ladies. I learned a lot and enjoyed the lessons very much.

76 - 100 of 230 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By P Z C

Jun 03, 2017

I learned so miuch. Best course of all last 4 in the Graphic Design so far. Let me test the last one.

By Kristen F

Aug 20, 2017

This class was very interesting and it gives some background for a lot of the stuff that you learn in the other courses in the specialization. I liked that the assignments weren't difficult but were interesting and informative. We were able to learn from each other and learn in the process of researching topics.

By Eman M S

Dec 23, 2017

it's very greet

By Camila D

Nov 11, 2016

A really good course, it even help me with some classes in university!

By Polina

Nov 10, 2016

Super cours ! It is very interesting ! enjoy!

By Stefan C

Nov 19, 2017

great course

By Muhammad A Y

Jan 29, 2018

i have get excellent experience to take this course thanks a lot to coursera give me this opportunity love you coursera

By Joel A

Sep 08, 2016

This course is superb! Thank you for offering it here.

By Xinlin L

w

f

g

a

phic design history. The classes would easy to understand and assimilate. The assignments were very helpful to understand the lessons. Many thanks!

By Balaji A

May 08, 2018

Wonderful course, helps a lot in understanding the historic perspective in design and helps reflect the same in our modern design

By Kseniia T

Aug 22, 2016

The course is very well-structured, and makes it a pleasure both to learn and work on assignments. There are a lot of examples from the history of graphic design - a huge field of potential inspiration for the ones working in the graphic design field!

By Pavel S

Feb 23, 2017

Great course! Definitely a must-visit for anyone interested in graphic design. Even though I am myself a practising graphic designer for about five years now, I did learn quite a lot of interesting and, most important, useful information there. Highly recommend it.

By Martin S

Aug 23, 2017

This course gives us opportunity to explore within us that creating a project based task for a client or own startup. It can also be used as our portfolio. Opens up door for the career.

By Manash G

Aug 28, 2017

Great!

By Amanda J V

Oct 11, 2016

Nice overview of graphic design history, I learned some new things, broadened my historical background, and had assignments that tied it back into contemporary design.

By Astrid S

Feb 14, 2017

Loved this course! Super interesting content and motivating lecturers! Awesome!

By ognjen r

May 07, 2017

nice

By Ahmed M A

Sep 11, 2018

it's very useful course

i learned, how designers are thinking in the past and how it related to the future

By Kayne M

Sep 24, 2018

Very interesting and insightful trip throughout the history of graphic design with thorough analysis.

By F A

Sep 26, 2018

Recommend it to all new starter in graphics design, because its a great tool of knowledge to understand how or why certain things where done in certain ways.

By Larie G

Sep 13, 2018

Loved it.

By Chana M H

Aug 26, 2018

I enjoyed this course because I was able to learn background and research materials that helped me understand the foundation of the ideological side of design. I am continuing to read the suggested reading materials because I know this will add to my skill, knowledge, and abilities as a designer! It also improved my research skills.