Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required....

PD

Nov 27, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

AD

Dec 05, 2016

Loved it and all the examples the teachers put into it, as well as the organization and evolution of themes. Big thank you to the teacher ladies. I learned a lot and enjoyed the lessons very much.

1 - 25 of 230 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By Taylor A H

Feb 22, 2019

This was a good course but I feel like a lot of students interpreted the assignments in multiple ways. Some would submit their work with ideas that I would never have imagined, which could be seen as a creative and good thing, but when it comes to an assignment, I would think a literal interpretation of the assignment is what is needed. This happened to a lot of the courses in this Graphic Design course, and not just this one. I just happened to notice it more with this particular course.

By Oluwasola M

Jul 29, 2019

Every designer needs to know the history behind forms, function and design style and trends that informs visual communication in the modern world. And that's was why I took the course, it was such a great learning.

By Boula N S

Jul 24, 2019

It is a great course.

By Kareem J S

Aug 15, 2019

i don't like history myself. i didn't came up with a developed informations after this course

By Joel D B

Nov 19, 2017

A largely unstructured course that presents ideas essentially from 20th-century U.S. design history, but without making this clear. Lectures are rather rambling and rarely make their points clearly. More cultural or technical context would have been helpful. There is also no real distinction drawn between graphic design and other design disciplines. Exercises do not really build on the material in the lectures.

By Xinjuan D

Jul 20, 2019

I am not a history guy

By Abdelrahman E

Sep 21, 2019

i didnt benefit a lot from that course felt it to be more theoretical than a practical course and i couldn't remember the names of the artists after i finished cause they are a lot

wish it to be more practical concerning graphic design tasks

By Tina L O Z

Jan 14, 2019

I have enjoyed the course very much. I find the lectures and resources are inspiring and the assignments give you enough room to go light or deep into the topic by displaying our own examples from research. Looking forward to taking more in the series on Design!

By Julie S

Jan 14, 2019

This course definitely expanded my view of art and design in history. I'm not much into history and so had a hard time at first getting into the course, but the further I went, the more interesting it became. I really enjoyed and benefited from the assigned projects. It was a good course.

By Ekaterina D

Jan 18, 2019

Very interesting course. here you can get acquainted with the history of design in different countries, as well as learn the basics

By Karla V A P

Jan 11, 2019

Excellent courses, i learned a lot and i can recognize and converse about topics in arts and graphics. It keeps interested in different designs and now i can have another look and criticism in art, mode and graphics. I recommend it to those who are interested in art in general and its history.

By Madison

Jan 11, 2019

Incredibly interesting to learn the history of graphic design and the influences of it, and those early designers. There's so much more meaning and intention behind it than I knew. The course is also set up in a great way that is informational and really interesting, but does not force learning or busy-work in any way.

By Inas A M T

Feb 23, 2019

Amazing

By Benjamin g

Mar 09, 2019

Great look into graphic design and how history affects design.

By Marco A V R

Mar 12, 2019

excelente

By Fatima H S E I S

Mar 13, 2019

Perfect course and very useful

By 瞿睿

Apr 01, 2019

I really think the materials are well organized. For beginners like me, it offers so much inspiration. Good course!

By LU F

Apr 02, 2019

Great information.

By Julia P G

Jul 23, 2018

very clear and concise videos+explanations. It gave me a good (but brief and that's ok) overview graphic design history. I feel like I learned a lot of things

By Madinova Y

Jul 29, 2018

Very interesting course

By Renee T

Feb 11, 2018

I've learned so many new design ideas. The history behind it all is fascinating.

By Ronald K

Oct 09, 2017

Very informative! I recommend it! =) It helped me to understand a bit more of the world and how the design evolved in modern/contemporary era.

By Anna E T

Jan 01, 2017

I learned a lot about the history of graphic design through this course and I really enjoyed the research assignments which encouraged us to delve more deeply into the history, the changes, and the ideas behind so many designs.

By mangazico

Oct 30, 2017

it was one of the best online courses that has coursera the lectures are really enjoyable i had a great time and most important I earn a lot about the history of Graphic design

By Gustavo P

Sep 26, 2016

Excellent teachers, course and specialization.