Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required....

PD
Nov 26, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

AD
Dec 4, 2016

Loved it and all the examples the teachers put into it, as well as the organization and evolution of themes. Big thank you to the teacher ladies. I learned a lot and enjoyed the lessons very much.

76 - 100 of 374 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By Amanda J V

Oct 11, 2016

Nice overview of graphic design history, I learned some new things, broadened my historical background, and had assignments that tied it back into contemporary design.

By Amra S M

Jul 26, 2020

The course is fun and very informative. I learned alot from the 19th century, symbols and The origin of neon colors. Thank you for the interesting topics. Cheers!

By Natalia M

Jan 17, 2017

I really enjoyed this class and thought it was very useful for learning about the importance of historical events that contribute to how we design graphics today.

By Norman K

Nov 15, 2020

Very great lecturers and course materials. The assignments and quizzes are very thought-provoking and allow for a great dive into more research on graphic design

By Regina J

Jun 13, 2020

I really enjoyed learning about the overview and history of graphic design. It makes me want to learn more about what is outside of the scope of this class.

By Julia P G

Jul 23, 2018

very clear and concise videos+explanations. It gave me a good (but brief and that's ok) overview graphic design history. I feel like I learned a lot of things

By Fabian M

Dec 14, 2016

Fun and very interesting. It has lifted the veil from a lot of things that were all around me in society and yet were transparent to me prior to this course.

By F A

Sep 26, 2018

Recommend it to all new starter in graphics design, because its a great tool of knowledge to understand how or why certain things where done in certain ways.

By yeliz

Mar 27, 2020

It was a very good class, and the content is very interesting and satisfying. I especially liked the assignments, and I learned a lot while preparing them.

By Yuliya S

Oct 27, 2019

I really liked the course material and the way teachers provide information. I learned a lot and noted many areas that I will continue to study on my own.

By Rohan S

Oct 23, 2018

This course gives some invaluable insight on the history of graphic design with a ton of examples, something that's often left out on many other courses.

By Rohit N

Aug 31, 2016

I enjoyed studying history for the first time in my life. It is really insightful to see how design has evolved and still has influences from the past.

By Rosa P M V

Aug 26, 2017

Excellent course. I could understand a general idea from where graphic design comes from. Now I know where to look for references and inspiration.

By namrata

Nov 21, 2019

This Course history of graphic design was wonderful . It took me back at early history of Graphics design. Thank you and I truly appreciate it.

By Ronald K

Oct 9, 2017

Very informative! I recommend it! =) It helped me to understand a bit more of the world and how the design evolved in modern/contemporary era.

By Juachi O

Sep 21, 2017

Enjoyed learning about the evolution of Graphic Design. I do wish this course covered other countries. Perhaps I'll look that up independently

By Muhammad I

Jun 17, 2020

Very informative about the history of graphic design. I wasn't aware of so much detail provided in this course, take so much time otherwise.

By Zackary A K

Jul 5, 2017

Very interesting, introductory lectures on the history of design. It really helped my get my footing, so that reading further has been easy.

By Ulrich W

Dec 21, 2016

Very nice overview how trends and tastes changed over time, finalizing in a project targeting a particular sub-culture. I learned something.

By Carlos L

Mar 11, 2017

great reviewing of the different trends in graphics design history and the related marketing, great approach. i really enjoyed the course.

By Gabriela R

May 12, 2020

Excellent overview and introduction to graphic design history. The assignments were enjoyable and the lectures were excellent as well!

By Tomelilla G

Mar 19, 2020

If you want to learn a great overview of the history of design with interesting examples applicable today here is the course for you!

By Asante G

Oct 19, 2018

Thank you for this wonderful course. It really makes you think on a deeper level about design, not only how it was created, but why.

By Magdalena P

Sep 13, 2016

This course is very well explained and very interesting. The assignments are simple and still bring a lot into the learning process.

By Ekaterina D

Jan 18, 2019

Very interesting course. here you can get acquainted with the history of design in different countries, as well as learn the basics