Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required....

PD

Nov 27, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

AD

Dec 05, 2016

Loved it and all the examples the teachers put into it, as well as the organization and evolution of themes. Big thank you to the teacher ladies. I learned a lot and enjoyed the lessons very much.

101 - 125 of 230 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By Renee T

Feb 11, 2018

I've learned so many new design ideas. The history behind it all is fascinating.

By Magdalena P F

Sep 13, 2016

This course is very well explained and very interesting. The assignments are simple and still bring a lot into the learning process.

By Kevin J

Aug 08, 2016

Really enjoyed this course and would love to indulge in more activities and information on the history of Graphic Design.

By Julia K

Oct 27, 2016

Great course!

By 黄楚风

Sep 01, 2016

Inspires me a lot.

By Stephanie O

Feb 27, 2017

It's good to have a background on the history of Graphic Design. Historical and Contemporary References and what their differences helps me when designing a brand/logo/logotype

By Radu V

Oct 11, 2016

I love it!

By Hayden P

Jun 01, 2017

Great Intro, thanks so much

By Utpal B

Apr 09, 2017

This is such a remarkable course and is indispensable for every aspiring graphic artist as well as enthusiast. It covers the remarkable trends in graphic design from past and how those trends permeated into contemporary practices in design. Thanks a lot to California Institute of the Arts and Coursera for developing and offering such a wonderful course with a blend of design philosophies and insights into hands on practice.

By AC

Oct 07, 2016

Liked the course. I would love to learn even more about the History of Graphic Design now))

By Ana P B

Oct 25, 2016

It was very interesting to know this different periods and specific designer's works. I was surprised to know Sister Corita, her work is awesome. And the assignments were another very nice way to know other cultures and points of view.

By Ronald K

Oct 09, 2017

Very informative! I recommend it! =) It helped me to understand a bit more of the world and how the design evolved in modern/contemporary era.

By Elsa P

Dec 15, 2017

This is a great introductory course in the history of design. The material was presented clearly and it's very well planned and organized. I had some issues with the audio but this is a minor issue that can be easily fixed

By Adele

Sep 18, 2017

西方设计历史上可供借鉴学习的典型时期介绍。

By SYED Q

Nov 11, 2017

it was great

By Brenda R

Jun 07, 2018

I thought it would be boring, but they made it very fun and interesting! Enjoyed it a lot!

By Israel T

Oct 05, 2016

I definitely recommend this course!

By jen a

Oct 23, 2016

very informative course, it's very good to know the inspiration of contemporary art cultures. it opens up more creativity and out of the box thinking for new artists like me. Thank you

By Natalia M

Jan 17, 2017

I really enjoyed this class and thought it was very useful for learning about the importance of historical events that contribute to how we design graphics today.

By Ruben q

Jul 19, 2016

Very good course where you get a short summary of modern graphic design, from the industrial revolution until the late 70s

By Ampol A

Dec 26, 2017

W1 - Completed

W2 - Completed

W3 - Completed

W4 - Completed

By Anand V

Jun 28, 2018

The design created in past really create ideas for present trend

By Jill C

Jun 18, 2018

I've been interested in graphic design for a long time but have no background in it, and this was a great introduction for me. (I can imagine it being too basic for those from the art or design world, but for me it was perfect.) I looked forward to watching the lectures, and I enjoyed doing the assignments more than I expected to.

By David A V D S

Apr 25, 2018

Wow! that was a new experience for a designer like me. Good job!

By Gabriella R