Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required....

PD

Nov 27, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

AD

Dec 05, 2016

Loved it and all the examples the teachers put into it, as well as the organization and evolution of themes. Big thank you to the teacher ladies. I learned a lot and enjoyed the lessons very much.

126 - 150 of 230 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By Fatimah O

Jan 14, 2017

I really like it, even it took long time for me to submit week 4 assignments before the dead line.

I really wonder if calart afford an online graphic design degree.

Thanks.

By Violaine B

Aug 14, 2016

Amazing class, very interesting in terms of content -you learn a lot about the History of Graphic Design- and a great reflection on graphic design today. The assignments were all clever and insightful.

I really recommend it for anyone in the graphic design business, whether you're starting out or have been in the industry a while!

By Stefan C

Nov 19, 2017

great course

By Muhammad A Y

Jan 29, 2018

i have get excellent experience to take this course thanks a lot to coursera give me this opportunity love you coursera

By Julia K

Jan 30, 2017

Thanks for intresting courses!

By Eman M S

Dec 23, 2017

it's very greet

By Juliette L S

Nov 07, 2016

Great class! learned a lot about the history of design and how the techniques are still being used today

By Joel A

Sep 08, 2016

This course is superb! Thank you for offering it here.

By Bonnie K

w

f

g

a

phic design history. The classes would easy to understand and assimilate. The assignments were very helpful to understand the lessons. Many thanks!

By Anand V

Jun 28, 2018

The design created in past really create ideas for present trend

By Jill C

Jun 18, 2018

I've been interested in graphic design for a long time but have no background in it, and this was a great introduction for me. (I can imagine it being too basic for those from the art or design world, but for me it was perfect.) I looked forward to watching the lectures, and I enjoyed doing the assignments more than I expected to.

By David A V D S

Apr 25, 2018

Wow! that was a new experience for a designer like me. Good job!

By Gabriella R

W3 - Completed

W4 - Completed

By Taneesha

Aug 02, 2018

My favourite of the courses in the Graphic Design Specialisation thus far !

By Ahmed M A

Sep 11, 2018

it's very useful course

i learned, how designers are thinking in the past and how it related to the future

By Larie G

Sep 13, 2018

Loved it.

By Kayne M

Sep 24, 2018

Very interesting and insightful trip throughout the history of graphic design with thorough analysis.

By F A

Sep 26, 2018

Recommend it to all new starter in graphics design, because its a great tool of knowledge to understand how or why certain things where done in certain ways.

By Guerin A

Oct 19, 2018

Thank you for this wonderful course. It really makes you think on a deeper level about design, not only how it was created, but why.

By Brenda D V S

Oct 18, 2018

exellente curso

By Roberto M A

Oct 22, 2018

It is fundamental to understand the history of the fields we work with. This Course explains some of the main moments from the History of Graphic Design and how it shaped what we do nowadays. The examples and assignments help us think critically about current symbols/objects/graphic elements, placing them in the correct context in the History of Graphic Design. Recommended!

By Rohan S

Oct 23, 2018

This course gives some invaluable insight on the history of graphic design with a ton of examples, something that's often left out on many other courses.

By Soh W K

Oct 26, 2018

Insightful understanding of Bauhaus and it's philosophy and Teachers and Artworks.

By Chana M H

Aug 26, 2018

I enjoyed this course because I was able to learn background and research materials that helped me understand the foundation of the ideological side of design. I am continuing to read the suggested reading materials because I know this will add to my skill, knowledge, and abilities as a designer! It also improved my research skills.