Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required....

PD
Nov 26, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

AD
Dec 4, 2016

Loved it and all the examples the teachers put into it, as well as the organization and evolution of themes. Big thank you to the teacher ladies. I learned a lot and enjoyed the lessons very much.

101 - 125 of 378 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By Magdalena P

Sep 13, 2016

This course is very well explained and very interesting. The assignments are simple and still bring a lot into the learning process.

By Ekaterina D

Jan 18, 2019

Very interesting course. here you can get acquainted with the history of design in different countries, as well as learn the basics

By Sanjeevini S M

Jul 16, 2020

Was fun exploring and knowing the history of designing and made me think and understand various new fields which I was unaware of.

By Iole M

Feb 3, 2017

A concise course with very meaningful visual contents. English spoken in a very understandable way, even for a non-native speaker.

By Brianna P

Oct 10, 2016

I loved how straight forward and informative this course was. I have such a stronger appreciation for what we see as design today!

By Balaji A

May 8, 2018

Wonderful course, helps a lot in understanding the historic perspective in design and helps reflect the same in our modern design

By Christopher J

May 27, 2019

the whole course is great. i learned i didn't know much about graphic design. and i know now i need to continue to practice.

By Joshua L

Feb 23, 2017

It was definitely an eye-opening course for someone who only knew how graphic design works and none of the history behind it.

By Rui A M d S

This part of the course was lovely, I learned a lot about some of the most important marks of the history of graphic design.

By Kevin J

Aug 7, 2016

Really enjoyed this course and would love to indulge in more activities and information on the history of Graphic Design.

By Ruben q

Jul 19, 2016

Very good course where you get a short summary of modern graphic design, from the industrial revolution until the late 70s

By Patil C V

Jul 2, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course as it helped me to expand my knowledge and helped me pop a lot of ideas for my project!

By Muhammad A Y

Jan 29, 2018

i have get excellent experience to take this course thanks a lot to coursera give me this opportunity love you coursera

By Ferdinand P

Aug 29, 2016

This is a very important course in understanding the history of graphic design. Good job to the creators of this course.

By Deb S

Jan 27, 2017

Very interesting course. Would love to see an advanced course that explores more history of graphic design. Much fun!

By Xue F

Jul 24, 2020

This course gave me a broader view of graphic design and revealed the connection between graphic design and society.

By Mahmudul W S

Sep 24, 2020

This course makes students dig deeper into some concepts of graphics designing that they may already familiar with.

By Rui

Apr 1, 2019

I really think the materials are well organized. For beginners like me, it offers so much inspiration. Good course!

By Ivan O

Dec 15, 2016

Interesting and fun to watch. Not so practical as other courses in the Specialisation but definitely good to know.

By Salem F A

Sep 28, 2019

I get a lot of information from this part of graphic design specialization courses, very highly recommended .

By Viorel-Daniel S

Oct 9, 2017

It was fun learning about the history of design. Assignments are easy and do not require much effort, though.

By Breen O

Aug 3, 2020

Excellent course. Very interesting . I enjoyed the assignments though the bar is very low to receive a pass.

By Sahara Z F

Sep 17, 2020

A very fun and informative course. Take this course if you are interested in the history of graphic design!

By Mark H

Sep 8, 2020

I found this course to be very interesting and very relevant to anyone who is serious about Graphic Design.

By Daria N

Nov 29, 2018

Excellent insight into history, many interesting examples, it was very informative. Thanks for the course!