Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required....

PD

Nov 27, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

AD

Dec 05, 2016

Loved it and all the examples the teachers put into it, as well as the organization and evolution of themes. Big thank you to the teacher ladies. I learned a lot and enjoyed the lessons very much.

201 - 225 of 235 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By Liangchi C

Nov 20, 2017

Through this course, I have learned many great examples of graphic design and how people convey ideas through image over the last centuries. I would like to develop my own style after seeing others' works.

By Ibrahim N

Jul 18, 2016

Too example based course but indeed very interesting for exploring the ages of graphic design hitory

By Peter R

Jan 03, 2017

Excellent.

By Camila L

Jan 11, 2017

I would like to have more materials. See more work, read/listen about more design movements.

By Nicole S

May 24, 2018

Good course, wish had more time to get a big picture perspective.

By Abayomi B

Apr 08, 2017

This course is very informative and inspiring.

By Jai C

Aug 02, 2017

It was a wonderful course. I have designed things but never took a formal design education. I think knowing the history of a particular field helps. It gives you a picture of how things evolved to be what they are today. I would not have known where to start even if I wanted to learn history of graphic design. This course has given me a good start. Now I can go deeper in that study. Thank you

By Kolya K

Mar 30, 2018

Great Course, got lot of knowledge. A little short and required to continuing studying on your own.

By Tigran G

Nov 12, 2017

All was very good, but if after every video put a little quiz it will be better to understand and remember the material

By Hector E

Aug 30, 2016

Although this course is rich in content, it lacks a lot of perspective around The History of Graphic Design, since it only talks from the american point of view.

By Vijayasundaram M

Mar 01, 2017

The course was well structured; and provided opportunity to seek and learn more on the topics dicussed

By Nene W

Feb 22, 2017

I learnt quite alot about design luminaries. Would prefer if it was truely global but still a very interesting course

By Virginia L

Nov 17, 2017

I love the examples, the theory behind without being too didactic. It could be longer

By Megan C

Aug 15, 2016

This was a very interesting and informative addition to this specialization. I loved the lecturer's style, and found this to be one of my favourite offerings so far. Very much looking forward to the capstone course and project.

By Cameron S

Apr 12, 2017

Nice and informative

By Hannah M C

Aug 21, 2017

It's a lovely course and the lecturers are great, but it focus mostly on American design or the impact of other designers in the USA. I would love to learn more about non-USA design.

By Kelly J

Dec 05, 2016

Useful intro to the history of graphic design. The quizzes could have been more challenging though or involved doing more independent research on some of the graphic design periods discussed.

By Indah P

May 18, 2017

I learned many things from this lecture! Not just the information about the history itself, but also how those graphic designer in late era came out with ideas. Their thinking, their purpose, their effect and inspiration to the new designer. Great!

By Nicholas S H

May 06, 2019

I would like to know about how graphic design occurred in non-US or European countries.

By Amor S

Oct 16, 2019

If there are some recommendation for reading, it would be better.

By David M

Nov 04, 2019

It was fun and helpful to view other designer's work through different generations. This course was a great way to view references and become inspired with certain techniques and new approaches to graphic design.

By Sayem

Dec 15, 2017

The assignments should have been more focused towards creating rather than writing.

By Erick A R A d l S

Feb 24, 2018

The course is very light.

By Bhavna S

May 22, 2017

I found this course very interesting and intensive. There is so much history to understand, interpret and re-contextualise as a designer.

By Arshla J

Sep 24, 2016

Informative and sometimes fascinating.