Back to Guitar for Beginners

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Guitar for Beginners by Berklee College of Music

Grasp the essentials needed to begin playing acoustic or electric guitar. You'll learn an easy approach to get you playing quickly, through a combination of exploring the instrument, performance technique, and basic music theory. For students who have long thought about picking up the acoustic or electric guitar, this course will provide an easy-access foundation that will get you playing. When first learning guitar, it is important to have the material presented in stages, in an enjoyable way that allows you to grasp the basics of the instrument and music. The course begins simply with the parts of the guitar, the names of the strings, tuning, and technique—whether finger-style or pick. It then explores the basics of music theory with such topics as scales, triads, power chords, and fingering and shapes. At the end of this course, students will understand the structure, parts, and accessories of the instrument, in addition to an understanding of its basic maintenance. Electric guitar players will learn the operation of their instrument along with basic options for amplification, effect pedals, and sounds. Students will also learn to develop correct technique and apply theory concepts to their playing. They will have the foundational knowledge necessary to pursue most intermediate guitar courses....

RR

Oct 12, 2015

Dear Friends,\n\nI really enjoyed this course, specially the way "Thaddeus Hogarth" teach the course, It is unbelievably strong and master piece.\n\nThanks a lot "Thaddeus Hogarth"\n\nGod bless you

RC

Very impressed in particular with the pace and technical depth of the instructor's videos that taught me how and why the scales and chords are constructed, rather than just having us memorise them.

51 - 75 of 497 Reviews for Guitar for Beginners

By Huang Y

Sep 04, 2015

Though I have learned guitar for many years. This intro course still inspired me and give me a lot of important basic guitar knowledge. After this course, I think I can go futher in my guitar. Hope soon will have futher course for high level. : )

By KEVIN K P

very perfect and extra ordinary teaching. I love this course very much. I were searching this kind of course for 3 years .At last i found here with coursera and berklee collabration. Thank you for structuring and presenting this course

By dianxiaxuan

Nov 29, 2015

The teacher is so considerable for us, he mentioned about some difficulties we might faced with during the guitar learning period. It's so useful, because we can prepare ourselves mentally to face these kinds of problems. Thanks a lot.

By Érick L G L

Jun 28, 2020

The name of the course says it all. It is the perfect course for all begginers that want to start this amazing journey that is playing the guitar. Completely satisfied with all the tools and knowledge aquired in this course. 5/5

By Xiaoshu Z

May 01, 2016

Really hands-on and handy course for anyone who is a guitar beginner. Since I am a pianist. So I know all the musical theory parts. I didn't spend a lot of time on that. But all the other stuff are really useful. Thanks so much!

By ACHIM S

Jun 07, 2020

I enjoyed this course very much. I also have to say that it was sometimes hard to progress. The practical part needs a lot of dedication. But I learned to be able to apply the basic music theory onto the fret board so to speak.

By David J V N

Jan 17, 2020

amazing is to easy to learn, they explain to you the shortcuts to get the job done so I recommend it a lot for all the beginner's players; so now we have this terrific course we have all to learn to play guitar fast and easy.

By Tarik E A

Mar 03, 2016

It's my second enrollment in this course and I'm having again so much fun learning about the guitar.

Great teacher, excellent course content. I highly recommend it! Thank you Berklee.

Can't wait for an advanced guitar course !

By George G

Feb 19, 2016

I found this course very Informative and it took me from knowing nothing to having a knowledge that can be built on. T Hogarth presented the course in a way even I could understand .

All in all a course well worth taking

By Shreya S

Dec 26, 2015

Very nicely arranged course. Simple enough for beginners to follow and the well spaced deadlines keep you glued and dedicated. Loved the course. Feeling inspired to move on to an advanced course on guitar! :)

By Mitzi L G S

Oct 05, 2015

A very informative course. I realized that I still got LOTS to learn to things that I love to do. The teacher is great. Teaching made easy. No need to pay expensive sessions. Salute to coursera and Berklee!

By Olga L N

Jan 15, 2020

I learned a whole lot. I finished the course able to understand the basics of playing a guitar. At the moment I still revisit the last week just to do the exercises again and keep improving on my skill.

By Mohammed H

Apr 05, 2020

This course was a brilliant experience. My special thanks to Thadeus Hoggart for his patient and well organized course. Highly recommended for all those who are planning to start playing the Guitar.

By Ross C

By Rastin

Oct 12, 2015

Dear Friends,

Thanks a lot "Thaddeus Hogarth"

God bless you

By Victoria H

Loved this course! Great way to learn the basics of guitar - you can learn scales, notes, chords and so on. Definitely would recommend for anyone who is just beginning to learn guitar.

By Răzvan R

Jun 03, 2020

Great course! Excellent instructor! I liked the pace, the content, the exercises and the assignments. Allowed me to feel comfortable, yet to stretch a bit more to reach the objective.

By Jorge D J V

It is very explicative and involving. Access to a community with other guitar learners helps you to overcome the difficulties. I would like to have closer contact with the professor.

By Daniel

Jan 04, 2016

Una nueva opcion y da la posibilidad a aquellos que esten muy interesados en seguir interiorizándose en el instrumento que ustedes han elegido, en este caso la guitarra. Muy bueno.

By dorlean d

Jan 25, 2016

Dommage que sur certaines videos, ce qui est dit ne colle pas vraiment avec les sous-titres et que certaines videos ne sont pas traduites en français ou ne sont pas sous-titrés.

By ABDELHAK H

Nov 14, 2016

fantastic course although i am registered blind and have hearing impairment i am able to pick up a lot o useful information and i have to say i am making slow but steady steps.

By Nuno P

Sep 18, 2015

loved it, I took guitar lessons when I was a kid and hated it. this course made it fun! it took the mystery out of it so I can see the big picture and got me playing the guitar

By Roger G

Great course to learn the fundamentals of acoustic and electric guitar. In 6 weeks you will learn how to play guitar and record your own guitar songs. Highly recommend it!!!

By Ouida A L

Jul 02, 2018

Great crouse! Simple consise manner of imparting information. Very supportive way of teaching and full of wonderful exercises ..right hand and left hand technique!! Wonderful!

By Radheshyam Y

Jun 28, 2020

Too good,very much informative & extremely knowledgeable, practical course for beginners in Guitars.

Thanks to Berklee College of Music & Coursera for such a wonderful course.