Back to Guitar for Beginners

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Guitar for Beginners by Berklee College of Music

Grasp the essentials needed to begin playing acoustic or electric guitar. You'll learn an easy approach to get you playing quickly, through a combination of exploring the instrument, performance technique, and basic music theory. For students who have long thought about picking up the acoustic or electric guitar, this course will provide an easy-access foundation that will get you playing. When first learning guitar, it is important to have the material presented in stages, in an enjoyable way that allows you to grasp the basics of the instrument and music. The course begins simply with the parts of the guitar, the names of the strings, tuning, and technique—whether finger-style or pick. It then explores the basics of music theory with such topics as scales, triads, power chords, and fingering and shapes. At the end of this course, students will understand the structure, parts, and accessories of the instrument, in addition to an understanding of its basic maintenance. Electric guitar players will learn the operation of their instrument along with basic options for amplification, effect pedals, and sounds. Students will also learn to develop correct technique and apply theory concepts to their playing. They will have the foundational knowledge necessary to pursue most intermediate guitar courses....

SM

Sep 12, 2020

If you want to learn guitar no matter which guitar you want to learn acoustic or electric if you are a beginner then quickly join this course it will really help you to upgrade your skills in guitar.

MH

Apr 05, 2020

This course was a brilliant experience. My special thanks to Thadeus Hoggart for his patient and well organized course. Highly recommended for all those who are planning to start playing the Guitar.

76 - 100 of 546 Reviews for Guitar for Beginners

By Xiaoshu Z

May 01, 2016

Really hands-on and handy course for anyone who is a guitar beginner. Since I am a pianist. So I know all the musical theory parts. I didn't spend a lot of time on that. But all the other stuff are really useful. Thanks so much!

By ACHIM S

Jun 07, 2020

I enjoyed this course very much. I also have to say that it was sometimes hard to progress. The practical part needs a lot of dedication. But I learned to be able to apply the basic music theory onto the fret board so to speak.

By David J V N

Jan 17, 2020

amazing is to easy to learn, they explain to you the shortcuts to get the job done so I recommend it a lot for all the beginner's players; so now we have this terrific course we have all to learn to play guitar fast and easy.

By Tarik E A

Mar 03, 2016

It's my second enrollment in this course and I'm having again so much fun learning about the guitar.

Great teacher, excellent course content. I highly recommend it! Thank you Berklee.

Can't wait for an advanced guitar course !

By M S R

Jul 16, 2020

First of all, I am very happy to finish this course well. This course was very easy and helpful for beginners. Especially I would like to thank the teacher of this course who explained each lesson very easily and fluently.

By George G

Feb 19, 2016

I found this course very Informative and it took me from knowing nothing to having a knowledge that can be built on. T Hogarth presented the course in a way even I could understand .

All in all a course well worth taking

By Shreya S

Dec 26, 2015

Very nicely arranged course. Simple enough for beginners to follow and the well spaced deadlines keep you glued and dedicated. Loved the course. Feeling inspired to move on to an advanced course on guitar! :)

By Mitzi L G S

Oct 05, 2015

A very informative course. I realized that I still got LOTS to learn to things that I love to do. The teacher is great. Teaching made easy. No need to pay expensive sessions. Salute to coursera and Berklee!

By Olga L N

Jan 15, 2020

I learned a whole lot. I finished the course able to understand the basics of playing a guitar. At the moment I still revisit the last week just to do the exercises again and keep improving on my skill.

By Shivansh M

Sep 12, 2020

By Mohammed H

Apr 05, 2020

By Victoria H

Loved this course! Great way to learn the basics of guitar - you can learn scales, notes, chords and so on. Definitely would recommend for anyone who is just beginning to learn guitar.

By Nicolle M

Aug 24, 2020

As a musician I've been playing guitar for some time but it's always good to go back to basics and this course was amazing for refreshing some info and learning new things.

I loved it.

By Răzvan R

Jun 03, 2020

Great course! Excellent instructor! I liked the pace, the content, the exercises and the assignments. Allowed me to feel comfortable, yet to stretch a bit more to reach the objective.

By Jorge D J V

It is very explicative and involving. Access to a community with other guitar learners helps you to overcome the difficulties. I would like to have closer contact with the professor.

By Daniel

Jan 04, 2016

Una nueva opcion y da la posibilidad a aquellos que esten muy interesados en seguir interiorizándose en el instrumento que ustedes han elegido, en este caso la guitarra. Muy bueno.

By dorlean d

Jan 25, 2016

Dommage que sur certaines videos, ce qui est dit ne colle pas vraiment avec les sous-titres et que certaines videos ne sont pas traduites en français ou ne sont pas sous-titrés.

By ABDELHAK H

Nov 14, 2016

fantastic course although i am registered blind and have hearing impairment i am able to pick up a lot o useful information and i have to say i am making slow but steady steps.

By Nuno P

Sep 18, 2015

loved it, I took guitar lessons when I was a kid and hated it. this course made it fun! it took the mystery out of it so I can see the big picture and got me playing the guitar

By Roger G

Great course to learn the fundamentals of acoustic and electric guitar. In 6 weeks you will learn how to play guitar and record your own guitar songs. Highly recommend it!!!

By Ouida L

Jul 02, 2018

Great crouse! Simple consise manner of imparting information. Very supportive way of teaching and full of wonderful exercises ..right hand and left hand technique!! Wonderful!

By Radheshyam Y

Jun 28, 2020

Too good,very much informative & extremely knowledgeable, practical course for beginners in Guitars.

Thanks to Berklee College of Music & Coursera for such a wonderful course.

By MOISÉS D M G

Nov 07, 2018

Excelente curso. Além da qualidade técnica do facilitador, a programação é impecável e a didática excelente. Os textos e os vídeos são excelentes.

Parabéns e muito obrigado.

By Konstantin D

Oct 13, 2016

Great introduction to the world of guitar playing, which covers some basics and gives young musicians the essential foundation for future progress. Thanks for this course!

By Aurora M Q

Nov 19, 2015

Genial, la única pega es que es caro el certificado comparado con otras plataformas que por la mitad de precio lo tienes, por lo demás el curso es muy recomendable.