Back to Guitar for Beginners

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Guitar for Beginners by Berklee College of Music

Grasp the essentials needed to begin playing acoustic or electric guitar. You'll learn an easy approach to get you playing quickly, through a combination of exploring the instrument, performance technique, and basic music theory. For students who have long thought about picking up the acoustic or electric guitar, this course will provide an easy-access foundation that will get you playing. When first learning guitar, it is important to have the material presented in stages, in an enjoyable way that allows you to grasp the basics of the instrument and music. The course begins simply with the parts of the guitar, the names of the strings, tuning, and technique—whether finger-style or pick. It then explores the basics of music theory with such topics as scales, triads, power chords, and fingering and shapes. At the end of this course, students will understand the structure, parts, and accessories of the instrument, in addition to an understanding of its basic maintenance. Electric guitar players will learn the operation of their instrument along with basic options for amplification, effect pedals, and sounds. Students will also learn to develop correct technique and apply theory concepts to their playing. They will have the foundational knowledge necessary to pursue most intermediate guitar courses....

RC

Very impressed in particular with the pace and technical depth of the instructor's videos that taught me how and why the scales and chords are constructed, rather than just having us memorise them.

RR

Oct 12, 2015

Dear Friends,\n\nI really enjoyed this course, specially the way "Thaddeus Hogarth" teach the course, It is unbelievably strong and master piece.\n\nThanks a lot "Thaddeus Hogarth"\n\nGod bless you

401 - 425 of 494 Reviews for Guitar for Beginners

Dec 24, 2015

有帮助

By Margaux M

Jan 13, 2016

Thaddeus is adept at touching on the very basic essentials of the guitar--electric and acoustic. I personally have learned so much from him. He's smart in his approach, articulate, and makes it so anyone of any skill level can learn how to play. Before, I always believed learning an instrument was such a daunting and insurmountable task, but with this course I find myself wondering why I never decided to take up guitar in the first place! That beings said, there are few caveats I will insert here which will explain why I gave it 4/5 stars: (1) This is an introductory course in its purest form. What do I mean by that? Well, if you have any prior knowledge of the guitar (as I had), you will find the beginning to be very, verrry slow. You will soon discover that you are not as "beginner" as you initially thought yourself to be. Hence, you will likely be frustrated, almost insulted by the seemingly obvious information being told to you. (2) Peer f*ing reviews: the the bane of my existence. Well, that's not entirely true. To be fair, they can sometimes be very helpful, but come on, to have to sit and evaluate five, fiiiiiiiive people's homework assignments can take away a pretty sizable portion of your day you didn't necessarily plan on allotting. I suppose it is a necessary evil, but to me it's just evil. A dreaded nuisance, in my opinion. (3) This class is metronome-friendly-centric-heavy. I'm not a metronome person, myself, and I never will be, even after all the times I felt like I was trying to be converted into one. It works for some, but not me..... In conclusion, please do not allow these thoughts to waver your decision on whether to take the course, but instead just be mindful of them. Take them with a grain of salt. My experience with the course may not be your experience. If you are committed to learning the guitar, this is a fabulous course to take that will, in fact, teach you a great deal of what you need to know. I'm only on Week 6, but I'm excited to be moving forward and gaining even more knowledge!

By Louis J B

Oct 19, 2015

Musical syllabus is challenging, but yields rewarding accomplishment upon completion of the course.

There is insufficient staff monitoring and student support during the course. Be aware that you should be proficient in recording your music on your pc including being able to integrate chords and melodies of the same piece into one recording.

Newbies to guitar need to begin finger flexibility and strengthening exercises before starting the course as it will be difficult to keep up with the course and the required practice time if you are struggling with finger soreness and fatigue.

By DanielSubach

Mar 15, 2016

Nice job but somewhat slow in presentation and lumbering. The playing on recording to other students for grades is way too cumbersome. Outside of the necessary downloads, recordings, playback the course was presented well and scales and position playing were particularly helpful and clear. Position playing is not as easy as one might perceived and the Instructor did a commendable job elaborating and in particular explaining how the information can be used to be creative and improvise.

The reason not a 5 is that the grading is cumbersome and time-consuming to set up

By Tim D

Feb 29, 2016

Great course for learning the theory and techniques. It's difficult to master the new techniques/theory in only a week, but it builds a great foundation. After completing this course, the students should understand that there's still a lot of practice and time that needs to be put in, if playing fluently and effortlessly are the end objectives. I thoroughly enjoyed this course and plan on continuing to build upon what I learned.

By Anita W

Jun 01, 2020

It is a good course since it is for free. However, there is no mentor or instructor to give any feedback. It is you self assessing your work. Hoping your fellow students might know more than you if you have a question. Honestly, it is not the best way to learn for some people. Others might thrive in this environment. I say take it and get what you can out of it. However, you will most likely need to seek more instruction.

By Silvia R

Aug 23, 2017

Really interesting course. I suggest to attend it to the ones who are approaching the guitar but also to the musicians who want to review the basics. To me the course is well done, with a good pace and inside material. The professor is clear in the explanations of the guitar/music matters and he talks in a clear a easy English, the latter being important for the ones who do not interact in English often. Enjoy!

By Cory H

Aug 20, 2015

Good introduction to basic guitar and musical concepts such as chord diagrams, tabs, musical notation. Good video lectures and challenging (for beginners) exercises after each lesson. Recording device of some type is required, even if as simple as a computer microphone and audacity.

By Adriana J G G

Mar 11, 2020

It´s a good course, of course we need more material and more practice to learn deeper. But I think it´s a good start to know the instrument. One thing to analyse is, this is a process and the patient is a great ingredient. We don´t learn in a few hours.

By George I

Apr 23, 2016

I have been playing for many years but there is always things to learn or re-learn. I did both during this excellent course. Hogarth goes at a moderate speed. Especially helpful was the fact Mr. Hogarth speaks slowly and clearly. How nice!