Back to Health Across the Gender Spectrum

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Health Across the Gender Spectrum by Stanford University

This course offers an intimate, story-based introduction to the experiences of six transgender children and their families. Through illustrated stories and short teaching videos, learners will gain a better understanding of gender identity and the gender spectrum. Stanford physicians, K-12 educators, and transgender faculty members offer practical tips for parents, teachers, healthcare providers and anyone who wants to help create a more gender-expansive environment - one in which all people can live authentically. As a global community of unique individuals, we can begin to build a world that is ready to nurture and love each and every child. Due to the sensitive nature of the story-based course content, we have chosen not to offer course certificates for this course. Simply put, we feel that the thoughts, ideas and sentiments of these remarkable children and their families... are priceless. We are confident that, like us, you will end up learning more from them than you could ever imagine. Together, we can lay a stronger foundation for all children. Join us as we explore health, across the gender spectrum. Additional note: When submitting answers to quizzes, you may be asked to enter your "full legal name". This feature is primarily for verification purposes for courses that offer a certificate on Coursera, so it does not really apply to this course. We recognize that, for some individuals the name they use does not match the one on their legal documents. Please feel free to enter the name you normally use in these boxes....

PB
May 10, 2017

I have thoroughly enjoyed this course. My stepson (born a female) is transgender. This course has helped me understand things more and gave me a lot of pointers on how to do things. Thank you so much!

CM

I love how concise and easy to understand the videos were. They all get straight to the point and it was really a mind-blowing experience to learn about the differences and what we can do to support.

426 - 450 of 506 Reviews for Health Across the Gender Spectrum

Jan 6, 2019

Cool

By Keeley T

Aug 20, 2017

This is a great introduction to understanding gender diversity, how to facilitate gender inclusive environments, and how to support wellness in gender diverse children. The course is short and sweet and the format is easy to navigate, which makes it easily accessible. The use of case examples along with educational information makes it both engaging and useful and allow's the opportunity to understand the perspective of these children, adults, and their families. I'm giving this four stars because as I watched the videos, my impression (which may be incorrect) is that the families and individuals represented a particular socioeconomic subset. While many of the recommendations apply across population and environment, this course did not address the complexities of intersectional issues (race, culture) and the challenges that people and those working with people with fewer resources and/or less liberal worldview may experience. White people working at Stanford and families willing to seek out support through a resource like Gender Spectrum (which is a powerful resource) are just not representative of much of the demographic struggling to feel authentic in their gender and to feel included and supported in their lives.

By Katie S

Mar 29, 2017

I thought this course was mostly very well done. I would love to get in touch with the professor who created the course, and may try to reach out via other means. I am a transgender grad student at Mills College working on gender inclusive early childhood education.

One note specifically for Coursera, though... The honor code validation use of "legal name" on a course about transgender rights/health poses a particular emotional barrier for transgender people taking the course. Many transgender people go by names that are not their legal name and may or may not be able to change their legal names due to complicated laws and requirements. Having folks sign using their legal name is a potentially hostile, if relatively passive, act towards some transgender folks taking this class.

By Venetia P

Apr 14, 2017

Great course, I really liked it. I found it very educating and enjoyed the interviews of the children most of all.

I feel the class would benefit by discussing how gender roles are formed in society, why are pervasive through many aspects of society, how they are historically evolved, comparison in more aspects with the societies mentioned that are more open to gender fluidity etc. That would help us understand whether there is a necessity behind the gender roles or whether it is a natural step to drop them altogether, how they apply to other gender defined groups etc. I see why this would give the class a more society critical and perhaps political dimension however.