Back to Health Across the Gender Spectrum

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Health Across the Gender Spectrum by Stanford University

This course offers an intimate, story-based introduction to the experiences of six transgender children and their families. Through illustrated stories and short teaching videos, learners will gain a better understanding of gender identity and the gender spectrum. Stanford physicians, K-12 educators, and transgender faculty members offer practical tips for parents, teachers, healthcare providers and anyone who wants to help create a more gender-expansive environment - one in which all people can live authentically. As a global community of unique individuals, we can begin to build a world that is ready to nurture and love each and every child. Due to the sensitive nature of the story-based course content, we have chosen not to offer course certificates for this course. Simply put, we feel that the thoughts, ideas and sentiments of these remarkable children and their families... are priceless. We are confident that, like us, you will end up learning more from them than you could ever imagine. Together, we can lay a stronger foundation for all children. Join us as we explore health, across the gender spectrum. Additional note: When submitting answers to quizzes, you may be asked to enter your "full legal name". This feature is primarily for verification purposes for courses that offer a certificate on Coursera, so it does not really apply to this course. We recognize that, for some individuals the name they use does not match the one on their legal documents. Please feel free to enter the name you normally use in these boxes....

PB

May 11, 2017

I have thoroughly enjoyed this course. My stepson (born a female) is transgender. This course has helped me understand things more and gave me a lot of pointers on how to do things. Thank you so much!

CM

I love how concise and easy to understand the videos were. They all get straight to the point and it was really a mind-blowing experience to learn about the differences and what we can do to support.

51 - 75 of 435 Reviews for Health Across the Gender Spectrum

By Nirmal

Jul 04, 2020

I feel everyone must take this course and learn everything that we must to make this world better and friendly for Transgender people. I just know, a human is human doesn't matter what gender. And we all need love, in abundance. I personally loved this course and learned a lot from it. It didn't just give me more information about transgender humans, their feelings, and struggles of life but also gave me a whole new perspective to see the world. 😊

By Rev. D R

Jul 15, 2017

Was content-rich but cursory enough for someone at the surface level to understand the importance of gender diversity and competencies in the professional and personal level. Discourse was not time consuming and I believe was worth my time I will definitely recommend this course to others it was well-constructed they were no technical errors or glitches and I believe the personal stories mixed with the clinical interjections was the perfect mix.

By Helene J D T

Aug 03, 2017

Excellent course that includes a range of issues and challenges in the health and wellbeing across the gender spectrum field with a special and important focus on children. The course includes many instructive and enlightening narratives that get the points to come forward. I think the course apply to all people no matter how you identify, and you should definitely take the time to enjoy and learn from this visual and auditory resource.

By Chandana J

Nov 18, 2018

It was really a wonderful experience for me.I came to know many things, each week's schedule was very well planned and the live models were quite motivating and inspiring as well. Now i think have become a more empathetic person.It was heart wrenching for me after knowing the about the hardship people go through when they aren't accepted.I think proper awareness should be created among people.lastly i want to thank everyone for this.

By Marissa V

Oct 03, 2017

Excellent course. As someone with a Master's in social work and a close friend who is trans, this course presented a lot of information I was already familiar with, and was a great refresher as to what attitudes I should bring to my practice. I have recommended this course to my friends and family who may not have had experience thinking about and discussing gender and gender identity, and how to best support trans individuals.

By Lyndsey C

This course provides a holistic understanding of what it means to be transgender and shares a glimpse into the experiences and struggles of transgender children and their parents, as well as offers insights into how we can provide more inclusive healthcare and education for all students of all diversities. I would highly recommend this course to anyone seeking to better understand what it means to be transgender or non-binary.

By Sarah S

Feb 14, 2018

I really enjoyed this short course, and found the personal stories and animations to be helpful in really understanding the journey of transgender kids and their parents. I think this would be ideal to share with those not familiar at all with gender studies, as it is an easy and supportive introduction. Great for teachers as well as parents and healthcare professionals to understand some basics. Thank you!

By Jeyana M

Oct 03, 2017

This course is great! Thank you! The concept of gender spectrum was a revelation to me. I feel so happy and releaved now. And I want to become one of the voices, which are building a better, safer world. Thanks for the list of resources - as soon as I feel confident enough in this topic, I'll start telling about it to everyone who's interested. And now I'll definetely recommmend this course to people I know.

By Frances W

May 14, 2017

I never understood what transgender meant. I was given a very clear definition. But more than that it helped me understand how transgender children feel and how their parents feel. It made transgender real to me. I don't know anyone who is transgender but I know that after taking this course if I do meet someone I will be very aware of their feelings. I will accept who they are and be able to support them.

By Cristina P

Jun 06, 2020

Hello, Is loved this course, it is one more step in my sexual education and it helps me to apply it in my personal life and in the environment in which I operate, I understand and I know how to create spaces of gender equality and respect for people who like human beings deserve to live their sexuality fully and how they feel and live, it must be respected. Thank you, I will recommend it!!!!!!

By Kaye S

Apr 28, 2017

I am going to recommend this course to other teachers and counselors at my school site. I feel it is important that everyone understands this issue is real, it's not a "phase" kids go through, and it is not something that can be swept under a rug and ignored. As public school educators it is our moral obligation to ensure a safe and inclusive learning environment for all our students. Period.

By Harumi N N

Aug 19, 2017

This course opened my eyes. I don't have many transgender people around me, so I didn't understand. I have a friend whose child seems to be a transgender. I saw this boy start wearing a skirt or pink clothes and wondered why she would let her child do that. Now I think I have better understanding because of this class. It would be great if many people have a chance to watch this class.

By Rachel G

May 01, 2018

Excellent course! Provides a great basic background for families, educators, medical professionals, and community members who are interested in supporting the full spectrum of children in our care. Videos and interviews are very well done and easy to understand, even if this might be your first bit of education on the subject. Will continue to recommend this course to others.

By Erick G

Apr 30, 2017

Because of a special circumstance I recently experience at my child school, the schools Head Master and the early childhood principal recommended this course to me. It was the perfect fit and had all the information I need to be part of the conversation regarding the gender spectrum. Also this is the first course I complete in this platform. It left me completely satisfied.

By Margaret

Oct 14, 2017

Fantastic course that touches on a wide range of topics, concerns and questions. It provides so much needed information while also keeping it personal and relatable by having videos and recordings made by transgender people and their families. Very powerful and thoughtfully constructed course. Extremely helpful in helping to progress in understanding and acceptance.

By Ezequiel M

Jun 11, 2017

I was great to participate in this course. The material is excellent. I think everyone needs to have a basic notion of the gender spectrum. I regret this is not available in other languages, as I could help in spreading this message. I am a native Spanish speaker, so, if you want, I could help by translating video subtitles to Spanish. Just let me know. Thanks a lot.

By Ljubica A

Apr 21, 2017

The course allowed me to thoroughly understand the topic of gender spectrum. I have learned how I, as and individual, could help transgender people and their surroundings to strengthen their understanding, acceptance and relationship. I would recommend this course for anyone who is interested to learn about the diversity which life has to offer to us.

By J.B

Aug 15, 2018

Exceptionally well formed introduction to how the gender spectrum influences and impacts a persons health and access to healthcare as well as overall public spaces. Refreshingly respectful language and actual interviews with people who are transgender rather than just listening to cisgender persons in the healthcare field without lived experiences.

Aug 20, 2017

This is a great course, but it feels more like watching a documentary about transgender than an actual learning course. Also it focuses mainly on transgender, so the title was a bit misleading. I thought that other genders would be discussed, but instead they were only mentioned once, briefly, in one video. But it was still a fun course to take.

By Ester V

Jun 01, 2017

Great course. Lovely stories, lovely graphics, human and gentle narrative yet informative, thorough and up to date content. Great resource for families at the beginning of their journey with a gender diverse child, for others wanting to sGender them, for teachers, neighbours, media, politician, policy makers... And health professionals!

By Laurie B

Jun 09, 2017

I was worried at first that this was going to be a little too "cute" about what it means to be transgender. However, I think this course presented a good variety of experiences from the perspective of professionals, parents, and transgender people of all ages. I think it is a wonderful resource and appreciate that it was offered for free.

By Kalika S

Jul 17, 2020

The course helped me learn more and be aware, It includes great animated videos and stories one can connect with. Hearing the kids talk about their issues, problems and experiences and specially what helped them and made them happy and feel natural and good had a great influnce on me as a learner. it really helped me connect and learn.

By Kristina B

Apr 14, 2017

Fantastic course! I think you could expand the title though not just to be about health because it really includes much more. Teachers and others may not have taken the course because ti specifically says health but it is so important for them to become familiar with this content as well to help build a more gender inclusive society.

By Hannah C

May 08, 2017

Informative, insightful and thoughtful course that ideally all healthcare providers, educators etc. would take. Maya Adam was a professor of mine as an undergraduate and now, as a clinician, I'm so pleased to see she's continuing to do important and transformative work that's accessible to healthcare providers and others everywhere.

By Kailin K

This was a great introductory course! The material is approachable and informative. I took this course as a health educator to see if there were other ways to support youth and was able to take away many pieces from this course. I would recommend for anyone who is looking for basic ways to understand and support transgender youth.