Back to Health Across the Gender Spectrum

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Health Across the Gender Spectrum by Stanford University

This course offers an intimate, story-based introduction to the experiences of six transgender children and their families. Through illustrated stories and short teaching videos, learners will gain a better understanding of gender identity and the gender spectrum. Stanford physicians, K-12 educators, and transgender faculty members offer practical tips for parents, teachers, healthcare providers and anyone who wants to help create a more gender-expansive environment - one in which all people can live authentically. As a global community of unique individuals, we can begin to build a world that is ready to nurture and love each and every child. Due to the sensitive nature of the story-based course content, we have chosen not to offer course certificates for this course. Simply put, we feel that the thoughts, ideas and sentiments of these remarkable children and their families... are priceless. We are confident that, like us, you will end up learning more from them than you could ever imagine. Together, we can lay a stronger foundation for all children. Join us as we explore health, across the gender spectrum. Additional note: When submitting answers to quizzes, you may be asked to enter your "full legal name". This feature is primarily for verification purposes for courses that offer a certificate on Coursera, so it does not really apply to this course. We recognize that, for some individuals the name they use does not match the one on their legal documents. Please feel free to enter the name you normally use in these boxes....

PB

May 11, 2017

I have thoroughly enjoyed this course. My stepson (born a female) is transgender. This course has helped me understand things more and gave me a lot of pointers on how to do things. Thank you so much!

CM

I love how concise and easy to understand the videos were. They all get straight to the point and it was really a mind-blowing experience to learn about the differences and what we can do to support.

426 - 450 of 455 Reviews for Health Across the Gender Spectrum

By Emil

The course is very actual. I think, there is some policy behind this course.

By JENY C N C

May 02, 2020

THERE IS AN OPTION ONCE THE COURSE IS OVER, YOU CAN PAY TO GET THE DIPLOMA.

By Vasundhara A

Jul 10, 2017

The course is highly informational and the stories are very touching.

By Aditya G

Apr 17, 2017

Useful primer on applying inclusive principles across spaces

By Akhil T

Aug 12, 2020

Please send my certificate of completion of this course

By Spyros T

May 19, 2017

In my opinion, the course is a good intro to the topic.

By Thiemo M

Aug 11, 2017

I never gave gender much thought, it is an eye opener

By Sebastiaan v J

Mar 29, 2017

Takes your ideals one step further.

By Mark J R

Oct 03, 2017

Great course, very informative.

By Bishal P

Sep 17, 2020

Learning & acknowledgement

By Priya S

Oct 05, 2017

Very good course.

By Raine M

Nov 25, 2017

This course is great if you want a really basic beginners understanding of transgender and nonbinary people. My biggest issue with this course is separating sex and gender from each other and calling trans people, "biologically a girl, but view themselves as a boy" (and things along those lines). That just creates a way for transphobic people to further misgender and hurt trans people; they see that as a loop-hole to be disrespectful. Another issue I had was the lack of discussions about nonbinary people; I wish we were more included because we have unique problems that do align with trans people (and a lot of us identify as both transgender AND nonbinary), so it's a big disservice to have is practically excluded from the discussion. I also had a problem with a lot of the professionals who were speaking; most were cisgender people and I wished we could hear our own voices and expertise on this subject rather than having cis people teaching all about it. I also think there was too much focus on parents' perspectives on things, which were almost always transphobic ("I had a boy but now they're a girl and I miss that boy" or something along those lines). It takes away from the message that you're here for trans people when you have parents speaking in this way. Again, this is a good class if you want to generally understand trans and nonbinary people, but don't use it as your sole source of information.

By Bianca L B

Nov 02, 2017

At one point, I felt like the subject was very broad or that we were going over the same subject again and again. The course was more about Health Across Gender Transitioning than Gender Spectrum. We did not truly cover the many differences (except at the beginning of the course) of noxnbinary individuals and how they fit into the spectrum, or gender dictionaries describing the many terms (lesbian, homosexual, bisexual, transexual, zen, binary, etc) that are recognized throughout the gender spectrum. Overall, the course needs to cover more specific issues.

By Aleister M

Aug 06, 2017

Speaking as a trans person, this is was a very informative class with a lot of clarity and true information. Speaking as a trans non-binary person, this course erases my identity quite a bit. Although there are attempts to explain gender outside of the binary, this course is lacking in being inclusive to ALL trans people and not just transgender folks who identify within the binary. Additionally, it doesn't give enough validity to the real issue surrounding the murders/deaths/health issues for transwomen-especially transwomen of color.

By June S

Sep 26, 2018

It was an interesting introduction to what trandgender means but I think it covered less than it could have. I think all that have been said could havebeen taught during the first week and then, it would have been interested to go deeper into the psychological and medical details that are/can be involved.

However, for people who do not know exactly what transgender means, it gives them a good overview.

By Deirdre A H

May 04, 2017

The quizes and tests had trivial answers, almost all could have been answered without watching the videos. More additional resources and a block on adult transgender persons, rather than just a couple of token transgender adults who are Stanford professors, would be nice. The videos were good, especially the ones involving children. The videos with professors were decent but could have been better.

By Elly F

May 15, 2017

A basic on gender course that focuses on pediatrics. I wish there were more voices of trans/NB kids and providers featured. Instead, cis parents and providers working with trans kids got a LOT of air time. Didn't learn very much beyond, be respectful and ask for pronouns...while that is definitely helpful for some, it is not what I was looking for in this course.

By Jessica A

Apr 20, 2017

This is a great introductory course for the Health of Transgendered youths. Many intersections such as, socio-economic factors, race, geography, or access issues are not addressed which heavily impact this community and possible families that are disenfranchised by these disparities.

By Recardo

Aug 06, 2020

It is very basic. That said, I think it's cool that there are "easier" and "simpler" courses for people who aren't familliar with LGBTQ+ issues! It's definitely appropriate for young students, though.

By Benjamín I A O

Jun 30, 2020

Considero que el lenguaje utilizado en el curso no es inclusivo por lo cual no es congruente con su temática, además de utilizar términos poco adecuados a la temática.

By Denisa V

Aug 20, 2018

Me gustaria informacion sobre como abordar estos casos.

Conteste 2 por error de comprension al no poder trancribirlas al español

By Christopher C

Feb 06, 2018

Some of the language is already outdated - not the most up to date research and care techniques either.

By Jeremie C

Sep 03, 2017

Interesting and well-made but a little light on content.

By Lucía G P