Back to Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics by Universiteit Leiden

Everywhere, every day, everybody uses language. There is no human society, no matter how small or how isolated, which does not employ a language that is rich and diverse. This course introduces you to linguistics, featuring interviews with well-known linguists and with speakers of many different languages. Join us to explore the miracles of human language! The Miracles of Human Language introduces you to the many-faceted study of languages, which has amazed humans since the beginning of history. Together with speakers of many other languages around the world, as well as with famous linguists such as Noam Chomsky and Adele Goldberg, you will learn to understand and analyse how your native tongue is at the same time similar and different from many other languages. You will learn the basic concepts of linguistics, get to know some of the key features of big and small languages and get insight into what linguists do. This course gives an introduction into the study of languages, the field of linguistics. With the support of the basic linguistic terminology that is offered in the course, you will soon be able to comment both on variety between languages, as well as on a single language’s internal structure. Anyone who wishes to understand how languages work, and how they can give us insight into the human mind is very welcome to join. The course is useful if you want to get a fairly quick introduction into linguistics, for instance because you are considering studying it further, or because you are interested in a neighbouring discipline such as psychology, computer science or anthropology. Furthermore, the course will help you develop analytical skills. If you are curious to understand how language works and how it gives insight into the human mind, this course is definitely for you!...

DC

Sep 24, 2017

Extremely informational, well presented, with questions that stimulate reflection. The optional reading material is food for thought. I hope to see more courses from the same professor and University.

Mar 22, 2019

I've taken a number of online courses on linguistics now, and this one was by and far the best. The material covered is indepth and engaging, and the professor's enthusiam makes the videos a delight.

226 - 250 of 328 Reviews for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

By Alfonso H M

May 20, 2019

I just simply loved this course. The best MOOC I have ever taken. Very well and easily explained with extremely engaging topics.

The only thing I would change would be to lower the percentage pass of the exams. Some of them are very difficult, especially the questions about the informants.

Thank you so much!

By Sandra M M

May 20, 2019

This is a high quality course, giving you an overall of linguistics. The material is very good and the professor and the assistants are engaging. There is contribution from speakers of diverse languages and dialects and we can put to use the knowledge acquired in the course.

By Aleksandra P

Jun 10, 2019

This is a very well-organized and engaging course:) I do have a solid background in linguistics and I still found it really interesting.

By Dena

Jun 18, 2019

Loved it. The course helped me understand what the science of languages is about a bit deeper. Which helped me a lot to gain more knowledge at my University. Thank you for the most interesting representation of such a difficult material. (I loved the moment when at a seminar one of your students, who was to ask you a question, fell out of reality a bit. It made me laugh and smile!)

By Max W

Jun 20, 2019

An excellent well-rounded introduction to the field of linguistics. The students gets to learn about language in many facets, with a perfect mix of informational lectures, video discussions, and self-guided learning. Wonderful professor and great material!

By Heli K

Jun 29, 2019

Super well designed course with intriguing classes and reading materials. I highly recommend this course for everyone into linguistics. Thank you so much for this course!! Waiting for Miracles of Human Language 2!

By Oliver H

Jun 30, 2019

Very interesting and easy to follow, though the quizzes are very hard, and the fact that it was free was amazing!

By Huda T

Jul 09, 2019

it is a fabulous course. I spent interesting time with it. it is more than linguistics. it make you thinking as a linguist.

By Jorge F

Jul 14, 2019

I totally recommend this course. It was academically rigorous and fun at the same time. Thank you for the opportunity of being part of this mooc.

By ALBANO T G

Jul 16, 2019

It is fun and very interesting, i learned a lot of things

By Aline M d O

Jul 21, 2019

The course is really interesting, I highly appreciated the lectures, reference materials and the instructor. I would only point out the some of the exercises are way to difficult (only the ones related to the IPA and comparison of sounds in different languages).

By Bijimol B

Jul 25, 2019

I enjoyed the classes

By Adams O M A

Jul 30, 2019

this course was awesome, very illustrative and constructing, congratulations to the instructors

By Abhiraj G

Jul 29, 2019

Very interesting course, that is challenging but not impossible. The perfect way for young budding linguists to start.

By delia c

Aug 07, 2019

Its pretty good for linguistics students

By Marcela C

Aug 18, 2019

Fantastic. I didn’t know anything about linguistics and now I know basic concepts and have many extra books to read and learn more.

By Lielane V

Aug 16, 2019

This course is very helpful!

By Saleh A

Sep 08, 2019

It was my 1st course in couesera and it was very helpful course. It taught me a lot about languages.

By Fotios C

Sep 11, 2019

Fantastic insight into the world of linguistics! Very high quality course. Professor van Oostendorp creates an atmosphere that makes learning fun. If you have an interest in evolution of languages and in etymology, this is the course you should take!

By antonio b

Aug 25, 2019

A very beautiful seminar. It should be a little bit more longer and have some reference to a leading book in order to deepen some of the topic. Is there a follow up course?

By Charles M

Oct 24, 2019

Very interesting course. An excellent introduction to linguistics.

By Yulia S

Sep 16, 2019

Very interesting, well structured and orginized course.

By Amelia L A

Aug 27, 2019

Thank you so much!!!! I loved it >w<

I had been waiting for this because I enjoy learning about linguistics but I don't knew where to start, definitely this course was a miracle.

All the resources had a high quality and were a great advantage to understand the subject, it was very funny to analyze different languages ​​(especially in the last section), I learned a lot of things about culture, as well.

Hoping all is well, congratulations for this course. <3

By Neddar

Aug 28, 2019

Great course! Enjoyed it no end! Clearly so much love was put into the making of this program! It is both interesting and full of new information. Shows different sides of profession, so that people like me, new to the theme, could see what linguists actually do. Especially loved readings, as the articles given weren't overly tough, but presented a ton of information on different themes. Can't even start describing how sad I am that the course it at an end!

By Dana K

Sep 17, 2019

Loved this course. The teaching was very well done and kept me interested. After this course I applied to University to begin my studies in LInguistics. Thank you all for this wonderful course. Would recommend