Back to Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics by Universiteit Leiden

Everywhere, every day, everybody uses language. There is no human society, no matter how small or how isolated, which does not employ a language that is rich and diverse. This course introduces you to linguistics, featuring interviews with well-known linguists and with speakers of many different languages. Join us to explore the miracles of human language! The Miracles of Human Language introduces you to the many-faceted study of languages, which has amazed humans since the beginning of history. Together with speakers of many other languages around the world, as well as with famous linguists such as Noam Chomsky and Adele Goldberg, you will learn to understand and analyse how your native tongue is at the same time similar and different from many other languages. You will learn the basic concepts of linguistics, get to know some of the key features of big and small languages and get insight into what linguists do. This course gives an introduction into the study of languages, the field of linguistics. With the support of the basic linguistic terminology that is offered in the course, you will soon be able to comment both on variety between languages, as well as on a single language’s internal structure. Anyone who wishes to understand how languages work, and how they can give us insight into the human mind is very welcome to join. The course is useful if you want to get a fairly quick introduction into linguistics, for instance because you are considering studying it further, or because you are interested in a neighbouring discipline such as psychology, computer science or anthropology. Furthermore, the course will help you develop analytical skills. If you are curious to understand how language works and how it gives insight into the human mind, this course is definitely for you!...

DC

Sep 24, 2017

Extremely informational, well presented, with questions that stimulate reflection. The optional reading material is food for thought. I hope to see more courses from the same professor and University.

Mar 22, 2019

I've taken a number of online courses on linguistics now, and this one was by and far the best. The material covered is indepth and engaging, and the professor's enthusiam makes the videos a delight.

51 - 75 of 327 Reviews for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

By Sunny S

Jul 09, 2016

A lot of materials are accessible in the course. It is obvious that professors have done a lot of preparation, so that the learning experience is really amazing. The course arises my interest for Linguistics. Highly recommended.

By Emese K

Sep 11, 2017

just love the way this course is.

By Iushchencko A

Jun 26, 2016

I would like to say an enormous "Thank You" to everyone who contributed to this Course to be accessible: to professor Marc van Oostendorp, to Marten and Inge, to informants, to translators, redactors, designers and all whom I didn't mention but who were those thanks to whom we now know all we know and share this with others! The Course specifically opened to me that our living in four walls and thinking about ourselfs mostly hides us from all the beatiful unknown things happening in the world: from other cultures, other ways of looking at things! Indeed, folks, live in peace, let it be so!

By Maria P

Jun 23, 2016

Some of the material could be a bit more analytical, and there were a few problems with the quiz questions. Other than that, perfect! Great introduction to linguistics. Thank you for your hard work!

By Rajendra T

Aug 20, 2017

Perfect course to get overview of linguistics.

By Nina D

Oct 23, 2016

Excellent course!

By Bernhard T

Jun 26, 2016

inspiring lecturer and staff!

By Kristian A P

May 23, 2016

A wonderful course!

By Pablo

Jul 26, 2016

I very much liked the professor, he has a contagious energy and is entertaining to hear and watch. Overall an excellent course, learned a lot

By hamza b

May 05, 2017

Excellent course. It gives a general introduction to different branches of linguistics.

By Laura C

Sep 06, 2017

This was my first course on Coursera! Really enjoyable and challenging as well. It reactivated my thirst for knowledge and made me feel like taking more courses. Many thanks to the professors and the students who participated in the videos and helped putting together such a wonderful series of lessons.

By Stephanie J P

Mar 01, 2017

Amazing course! By far the best online course I've ever taken.

By Tetiana

Mar 22, 2017

This is an extremely interesting and informative course. For me it was really fascinating six weeks of educational process. I am very appreciated to the professor Marc van Oostendorp and his students for this MOOC.

By Marian B G

Feb 24, 2017

Simply GREAT! I can't even express how thankful I am for the amazing information presented in such an understandable way, yet it was challenging. My highest respect to the team in charge of this course!!!

By Darsving O E M

Nov 08, 2016

This course is really great and very enriching, specially when you want to have a general view about Linguistics, and at the same time, you get the tools to make a simple but precise analysis of languages.

By Iaroslav R

Nov 07, 2016

This was amazing! Every week there was something interesting and fun to learn and I couldn't stop wondering about that. Thanks to professor Marc van Oostendorp, Martin, Inga and other informants and contributors who made this course so highly informative and well-structured. You gave me a good foundation to continue learning. Please make more courses!

By Mrinalini P

Jun 21, 2016

Despite some technical difficulties with the forum and the quiz, the actual course was so AMAZINGLY interesting that it has motivated me to take up linguistics in the future. I didn't lose interest even once for the entirety of the six weeks I spent on this course!

By Hernán S

Nov 01, 2016

This course was excellent! because this made me an overview of linguistic science, their internal fields, and their main topics of study.

By 张扬

Jun 12, 2018

The instructor is so kind...And the course is a little bit hard to finish, because they have a lot of reading text and prepare video(like statistics analysis), but I still love it, and I will finish it on time.

By Ivan T

Feb 19, 2017

Outstanding course... absolutely fantastic!

By Natalie R

Jan 25, 2017

I love how clear everything is presented. Just beautiful.

By sukran c

Dec 25, 2017

I am so exited about this course. I found very interesting and successfull. Simply I can not be able to stop watching videos and go over reading materials. I hope they keep open more courses related to this course.

By Thembi F

Mar 29, 2018

Fascinating topic with well-curated materials.

By James A

Nov 10, 2016

A really fun survey of linguistics!

By Hanna P

Aug 08, 2016

without any doubt the best course among those I have studied or tried out on and beyond coursera. a huge thanks to the whole team behind it!