Back to Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics by Universiteit Leiden

Everywhere, every day, everybody uses language. There is no human society, no matter how small or how isolated, which does not employ a language that is rich and diverse. This course introduces you to linguistics, featuring interviews with well-known linguists and with speakers of many different languages. Join us to explore the miracles of human language! The Miracles of Human Language introduces you to the many-faceted study of languages, which has amazed humans since the beginning of history. Together with speakers of many other languages around the world, as well as with famous linguists such as Noam Chomsky and Adele Goldberg, you will learn to understand and analyse how your native tongue is at the same time similar and different from many other languages. You will learn the basic concepts of linguistics, get to know some of the key features of big and small languages and get insight into what linguists do. This course gives an introduction into the study of languages, the field of linguistics. With the support of the basic linguistic terminology that is offered in the course, you will soon be able to comment both on variety between languages, as well as on a single language’s internal structure. Anyone who wishes to understand how languages work, and how they can give us insight into the human mind is very welcome to join. The course is useful if you want to get a fairly quick introduction into linguistics, for instance because you are considering studying it further, or because you are interested in a neighbouring discipline such as psychology, computer science or anthropology. Furthermore, the course will help you develop analytical skills. If you are curious to understand how language works and how it gives insight into the human mind, this course is definitely for you!...

DC

Sep 24, 2017

Extremely informational, well presented, with questions that stimulate reflection. The optional reading material is food for thought. I hope to see more courses from the same professor and University.

Mar 22, 2019

I've taken a number of online courses on linguistics now, and this one was by and far the best. The material covered is indepth and engaging, and the professor's enthusiam makes the videos a delight.

76 - 100 of 327 Reviews for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

By Laura S

Dec 02, 2016

Very interesting,

Nov 13, 2017

I love linguistics and I love this course!!

By Colleen S

Jul 17, 2017

Highly recommended! This was my first Coursera course and I will never forget it. I took it before taking Linguistics at UMass. It helped me immensely and really got me interested in the subject. Now I am taking a TESOL certification course. To say this course opened doors for me is an understatement.

By Alexey D

Aug 09, 2017

Amazing teachers and very interesting course, many thanks!

By Shuman L

Sep 17, 2016

nice course! Interesting and informative

By Emily H

Oct 03, 2016

I found the course very informative, there was quite a lot of information in there for only six weeks of study but it didn't feel overwhelming either. Professor Marc van Oostendorp was very engaging in his presentation of the material, and I liked the fact that his students were there to ask questions as well. I also liked how the language informants were used - I was able to practice what I had learned in the other videos by analysing their speech patterns. Overall, I was quite impressed by this course.

By Ngoc N N

Dec 04, 2016

Great course! It was fun to go through and I particularly enjoyed the 5th module.

By Marina A

Jun 07, 2017

It's gripping and useful. I recommend it.

By Nikita P

Sep 24, 2017

Very good course for those who have not studied linguistics before. The professor gives a good overview of it and excites you with his passion to the topic.

By Cher R

Nov 13, 2016

I enjoyed this challenging course on linguistics. I appreciated that the course materials were available as one file so I could both read the text and watch the videos. The videos contained a quiz inside that kept me engaged. The interviews and Q&A sessions were a valuable way to present new information. I obtained two books from the suggested reading material to further my learning. In the end, I bought the certificate as a way to say thanks to the team for such a great course. Bravo!

By Chris M

Apr 01, 2018

Very enjoyable, but also filled with a lot of in depth information! I learned a lot and found the instructors' presentation style to be very conducive to learning the concepts well and to keep my interest throughout the 6 weeks. I would take a follow up class.

By Malkat H

Nov 29, 2017

The course is very interesting and well presented. Professor is very helpful and not boring at all. I look forward to any next course by Leiden Uni

By Jose C

Jul 03, 2017

Excepcional. Aprendí muchísimo. Una gran guía al mundo de la lingüística con actividades muy dinámicas.

By Sayar G R

Aug 06, 2017

It was great.

By Stefan Y G

Sep 15, 2017

This is a wonderful course for entry level linguistics knowledge. Whatever your background is, it will fit you and give you great insight into linguistics.

By Javier F

Feb 28, 2017

I've found the course extremely interesting and well organized to be an introductory course. I had no special need for the course and, accordingly, no special expectations besides the joy of learning the basics of a subject that I've always liked, and of acquiring some basic skills on it.

Professor Marc van Oostendorp does a remarkable job on being didactic, clear, interesting and covering a nice selection of aspects of this wonderful field.

The course's dynamics is very nice: lectures, dialogues, assignments, interviews, informants' contributions, readings, forum, quiz... it's never boring, really nicely structured!

A point which in my opinion can be improved: the redaction of the questions in the quizzes are many times unclear, confusing and even misleading. After the fun of completing the week assignments with a lot of attention put into details, it's a pity when the quiz is not clear or frustrating.

Thank you, I enjoyed it a lot!

By STYLIANOS F F

Oct 08, 2017

I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in Linguistics and languages, especially beginners. I enjoyed it and learned very much and I feel ready to continue my studies in this field.

By Ali A

May 23, 2016

Such a great professor with a wonderful team.

By Po-Cheng,Tseng

Sep 13, 2017

This course is really good!!

By Saleh M

Nov 03, 2016

it would be better if it had better exam questions

By Abhinav S

Mar 22, 2017

This is one of the best MOOCs I've participated in. The lectures are engaging and the student community is vibrant! If you plan to improve your knowledge about the beauty of Languages - Go for it!

By Tetiana

Mar 22, 2017

This is an extremely interesting and informative course. For me it was really fascinating six weeks of educational process. I am very appreciated to the professor Marc van Oostendorp and his students for this MOOC.

By Marian B G

Feb 24, 2017

Simply GREAT! I can't even express how thankful I am for the amazing information presented in such an understandable way, yet it was challenging. My highest respect to the team in charge of this course!!!

By Iaroslav R

Nov 07, 2016

This was amazing! Every week there was something interesting and fun to learn and I couldn't stop wondering about that. Thanks to professor Marc van Oostendorp, Martin, Inga and other informants and contributors who made this course so highly informative and well-structured. You gave me a good foundation to continue learning. Please make more courses!

By Mrinalini P

Jun 21, 2016

Despite some technical difficulties with the forum and the quiz, the actual course was so AMAZINGLY interesting that it has motivated me to take up linguistics in the future. I didn't lose interest even once for the entirety of the six weeks I spent on this course!