Back to Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics by Universiteit Leiden

Everywhere, every day, everybody uses language. There is no human society, no matter how small or how isolated, which does not employ a language that is rich and diverse. This course introduces you to linguistics, featuring interviews with well-known linguists and with speakers of many different languages. Join us to explore the miracles of human language! The Miracles of Human Language introduces you to the many-faceted study of languages, which has amazed humans since the beginning of history. Together with speakers of many other languages around the world, as well as with famous linguists such as Noam Chomsky and Adele Goldberg, you will learn to understand and analyse how your native tongue is at the same time similar and different from many other languages. You will learn the basic concepts of linguistics, get to know some of the key features of big and small languages and get insight into what linguists do. This course gives an introduction into the study of languages, the field of linguistics. With the support of the basic linguistic terminology that is offered in the course, you will soon be able to comment both on variety between languages, as well as on a single language’s internal structure. Anyone who wishes to understand how languages work, and how they can give us insight into the human mind is very welcome to join. The course is useful if you want to get a fairly quick introduction into linguistics, for instance because you are considering studying it further, or because you are interested in a neighbouring discipline such as psychology, computer science or anthropology. Furthermore, the course will help you develop analytical skills. If you are curious to understand how language works and how it gives insight into the human mind, this course is definitely for you!...

DC

Sep 24, 2017

Extremely informational, well presented, with questions that stimulate reflection. The optional reading material is food for thought. I hope to see more courses from the same professor and University.

DP

Jan 03, 2017

Excellent! Really enjoyed and learnt a lot. I did not expect such a great content and professionalism in a free course. I am definitely purchasing for the title.\n\nThanks to all the team! Great job!

176 - 200 of 326 Reviews for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

By Ekaterina A

Sep 21, 2017

I have enjoyed a lot this course! Love the material, readings and language informants!

By Eve M

Mar 02, 2018

This course is challenging, which is good. I was familiar with some of the material as my educational background is in psychology, but I learned a lot here and want to consolidate what I've learned. I didn't have time to do the peer graded assignments, but I might even retake the course to do so. The video lectures are great.

By 林诺舟

Jun 29, 2017

适合入门 条理清晰 视野开阔

By Adam F

Jun 15, 2018

I though that the lay out of the course was engaging and interesting. Though, it wasn't easy at the same time and really challenged me to think in a completely different manner to the way that I usually do. Thank you very much for the assistance I needed to find something I want to pursue.

By Érica C

May 14, 2018

I'm so happy I decided to enroll in this course. This was my very first introduction to Linguistics and it left me wanting to know more. Thank you to everyone who worked hard to make this course available for us.

By Mariia L

May 17, 2018

Really enjoyed this course!

By Kaia L

Jun 05, 2018

This was a fantastic intro to linguistics. The interviews particularly were exceptional.

By Niloufar S

Sep 15, 2017

I recommend this MOOC to all fans of linguistics, learning languages, and people who are interested in deeper understanding of what is indeed "a Language"! Special thanks to prof. dr. Oostendorp for his clear and kind way of transferring his vast knowledge.

By Isabel F

Nov 21, 2017

This was my first course on Coursera and I really enjoyed it very much. I had studies linguistics in the past and wanted to revisit the subject. In my opinion this course is a great introduction to the many varied fields linguistics has to offer. The numerous discussion prompts and quizzes made me think a bit, which I enjoyed. I would definitely recommend the course as a refresher or introductory overview.

By Erin R S

Jun 28, 2017

A really excellent intro to linguistics! I found the lectures straightforward and engaging. The assigned readings were really high quality, and they included a nice variety of styles and formats. The quizzes were difficult (maybe sometimes unnecessarily so) but I think this makes enrollees really pay attention to the content.

By Омельянчук О А

Jul 12, 2017

This is the most interesting MOOC I've ever taken!

I highly recommend everyone to try it

By Lindsey N

May 01, 2017

I'm only on the first lesson and feel I have learned so much! Thank you for making the course materials free for those of us not going for the certificate but are just learning because it's interesting.

By Kevin T

Jul 03, 2018

Thanks Prof. Marc van Oostendorp, whose introduction of human language is really intriguing and insightful. Looking forward the more advanced courses from him.

By Natalie T

Mar 29, 2018

Great instructor. Variety of subtopics of linguistics.

By Alison S

Jan 02, 2018

Great variety of topics, perfect if you have no background in linguistics. Very impressed with the explanations of theory which were balanced with plenty of relevant examples. Some assignments seemed daunting at first, but the reading material provided was usually enough to pass the quizzes. Thanks for this course!

By Safia J

Apr 14, 2018

I am almost towards the end of this course and honestly, it has been one of the best experience so far. Worth a 6 star!

The professor - sir, you are incredible! Thank you for this wonderful introduction to Linguistics.

I highly recommend this course. It is worth your time.

By adriano m

Nov 22, 2017

very good

By Nathalia V C

Feb 26, 2018

Excellent Course!

By Alsa A

Mar 27, 2018

Very informative and insightful.

By Daniel V

May 26, 2017

muy bueno

By Jan D

Aug 14, 2017

I really liked the enthusiasm of the professor and Inge and Martin. The complementary interviews were also very interesting. As a post-journalism (and post-premaster) student, it was definitely beneficial for my sociolinguistic master program.

By Maria E R G

Jun 17, 2018

The course is well structured, the tutorials through videos are excellent, sometimes it is necessary to search for more information, as it is the case of the lab video (the cochran implants). It is a pity that additional readings are not available through kindle or ibooks as their cost is better than the traditional books. I am going to pay for the certificate, I do not need it, but really the work put into the course rates more than 10.

By Josephine B M

Jul 04, 2018

Very enjoyable course, at a good level for beginners but with enough content to hook your interest. Only thing to note is that some weeks are quite a lot more work than others which can make it difficult to schedule.

By Danai I V