Back to Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics by Universiteit Leiden

Everywhere, every day, everybody uses language. There is no human society, no matter how small or how isolated, which does not employ a language that is rich and diverse. This course introduces you to linguistics, featuring interviews with well-known linguists and with speakers of many different languages. Join us to explore the miracles of human language! The Miracles of Human Language introduces you to the many-faceted study of languages, which has amazed humans since the beginning of history. Together with speakers of many other languages around the world, as well as with famous linguists such as Noam Chomsky and Adele Goldberg, you will learn to understand and analyse how your native tongue is at the same time similar and different from many other languages. You will learn the basic concepts of linguistics, get to know some of the key features of big and small languages and get insight into what linguists do. This course gives an introduction into the study of languages, the field of linguistics. With the support of the basic linguistic terminology that is offered in the course, you will soon be able to comment both on variety between languages, as well as on a single language’s internal structure. Anyone who wishes to understand how languages work, and how they can give us insight into the human mind is very welcome to join. The course is useful if you want to get a fairly quick introduction into linguistics, for instance because you are considering studying it further, or because you are interested in a neighbouring discipline such as psychology, computer science or anthropology. Furthermore, the course will help you develop analytical skills. If you are curious to understand how language works and how it gives insight into the human mind, this course is definitely for you!...

DC

Sep 24, 2017

Extremely informational, well presented, with questions that stimulate reflection. The optional reading material is food for thought. I hope to see more courses from the same professor and University.

Mar 22, 2019

I've taken a number of online courses on linguistics now, and this one was by and far the best. The material covered is indepth and engaging, and the professor's enthusiam makes the videos a delight.

151 - 175 of 334 Reviews for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

By bokyeong k

Aug 17, 2017

Week 3 test was quite complicated, so I spent a lot of time, but it was worthy. Thanks for nice videos.

By Jose C

Jul 03, 2017

Excepcional. Aprendí muchísimo. Una gran guía al mundo de la lingüística con actividades muy dinámicas.

By Saleh A

Sep 08, 2019

It was my 1st course in couesera and it was very helpful course. It taught me a lot about languages.

By Shaoyun H

Sep 09, 2017

Love this fabulous course! Although sometimes the discussion questions are a bit hard to comprehend.

By Georgina W

Nov 11, 2019

Full of interesting information. I learned a lot in this course and was challenged by the quizzes.

By Pallavi K

Jul 08, 2017

Brilliant Course! I wish it had an advanced level or Masters level, I would really want to join!

By Adams O M A

Jul 30, 2019

this course was awesome, very illustrative and constructing, congratulations to the instructors

By Leon E V A

Jun 12, 2017

Great course, I learned a lot and now I'm very interested in learning more about linguistics.

By Diana S

Feb 28, 2017

Exceeded all my expectations! This is a wonderful MOOC for anyone interested in Linguistics.

By Xinyao Z

Apr 22, 2019

it's really helpful even for those who already have some basic knowledge of Linguistics! :D

By Randolph W

Aug 28, 2016

I shall say it's a perfect introduction course for one who's interested in linguistic : )))

By Kaia L

Jun 05, 2018

This was a fantastic intro to linguistics. The interviews particularly were exceptional.

By Ana B

Sep 03, 2016

This is an excellent course! Too bad it doesn't provide the Statement of Accomplishment.

By Miho G

Nov 12, 2019

Professor is enthusiastic about the subject! I very much enjoy learning in this course.

By CHEN Y

Aug 09, 2017

这门课程是一门非常好的语言学入门课程,从语音、语言变化的部分到语言错误、心理语言学都有讨论。在课程的作业和考试中,会有一些根据其他语言使用者的资料进行分析的实践,也非常有趣。

By Омельянчук О А

Jul 12, 2017

This is the most interesting MOOC I've ever taken!

I highly recommend everyone to try it

By hamza b

May 05, 2017

Excellent course. It gives a general introduction to different branches of linguistics.

By Ekaterina A

Sep 21, 2017

I have enjoyed a lot this course! Love the material, readings and language informants!

By Donè P

Oct 03, 2019

I absolutely loved this course. I learned so much from the lecturer and the students.

By Felipe P d C R

Jun 17, 2016

Very special course ! with a good dinamic(class), makes us open our minds! congrats!

By Fátima Z R

Oct 12, 2016

Curso muy completo y sobre todo AMENO en el que aprenderás sin darte apenas cuenta.

By Jiayang T

Feb 02, 2018

The syllabus for courses are clear so it's really easy to understand and remember.

By Ngoc N N

Dec 04, 2016

Great course! It was fun to go through and I particularly enjoyed the 5th module.

By Lourenco C G

Sep 11, 2017

Good material, excellent presentations, knowledgeable presenters. Fascinating!

By Ema N

Feb 26, 2018

Wonderfully instructive, engaging, challenging and interesting. Great course!