Back to Humanitarian communication : Addressing key challenges

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Humanitarian communication : Addressing key challenges by University of Geneva

Learn how to address the main challenges of communication in humanitarian settings and how to implement a communication plan in the midst of humanitarian action....

HM
Jul 28, 2017

This is very useful course, especially for those who are working or volunteering in the humanitarian organizations, and those students who are planning their career in humanitarian sector.

MS
Mar 26, 2017

Great course ! Good eye opener to the importance of ethics in communication tools.\n\nIt also effectively provided the tools to develop a strong communication strategy! Thanks

1 - 25 of 71 Reviews for Humanitarian communication : Addressing key challenges

By Bryan F

Jul 20, 2020

Warning: DO NOT TAKE THIS CLASS. YOU WILL BE SORRY. I gave this course one star so this review would even be posted, but it deserves NO STARS, for treating people like this. The Instructor, Professor Schlopper is not presently NOT associated with the Swiss Institution that her bio says she is at. I don't know the reason but this Course appears to have been abandoned. There is backlog of students who have their final assignment lost or jammed in the "peer review", everybody is upset in the Final Module student blogs, "Where is My Final Grade."... But it appears to me., it will never be resolved. I was able to make email contact with the other listed instructors of the course, and they are at the institution posted in their bios, and they seem very surprised, genuine, disappointed, and understanding of the dilemma of the inline students, but I don't think they can help us with getting everyone's final assessment OUT OF PEER REVIEW. I reviewed 9 students final assignment in the weeks that I am waiting for mine, and all I need is 1 peer review to be done. Nothing ! . I enjoyed the course. The University of Geneva is great. (I've taken other courses there with great results). But Not this one ! It's probably going to be taken down and if it isnt't..IT SHOULD BE.

By Christopher L C

Aug 23, 2017

I thought the course was very well structured, presented and provided insightful material. For anyone who has never worked in humanitarian aid communication, the course is a great beginning step. I felt somewhat intellectually challenged at times. The readings and lectures were motivating, which helped me continue on to finish the course. I recommend this course to anyone who has never worked in such a role and context and would like to learn more.

By Tamer D A

Jan 11, 2018

Excellent course, I´ve already shared it with my Translator and Interpreter colleagues in the UK.

Very well presented. All of the lecturers are professional communicators, while some things seem obvious, it´s actually harder to put into practice such concepts in a crisis and under pressure.

Good choice of case studies and questions. The Ebola epidemic may be repeated, perhaps, becoming more fatal and killing many more thousands and potentially millions if the correct measures are not taken. Communication in such crises is key to managing and containing the crisis.

This course highlights the importance of any humanitarian worker to communicate effectively in the context of his/her environment. The course contains all the relevant documents which form the international norms used by Humanitarian Agencies such as ICRC, MSF and the UN.

Thank you for allowing me to participate in this course.

Tam

By Haris M

Jul 29, 2017

By Ljubica A

Jul 17, 2017

The course was very concise and full of relevant information about communication in humanitarian crisis. I would highly recommend it for everybody interested in this topic!

By Frederick C H J

Jul 6, 2017

Pretty basic stuff. I completed it because I had already paid for the certificate option.

By NDAYISABA H

Jul 14, 2020

Bonjour à tous

j'ai terminé mon cours sur Humanitarian communication:key challenges que j'ai payé

cependant, je n'ai pas encore reçu de Certificat.

Puis-je avoir votre assistance?

NDAYISABA Hilaire

ndayisabahilaire@gmail.com

By Brigitte R

May 4, 2018

I really appreciate how this MOOC has been structured. Students have to possibility to strengthen their understanding of specificities and challenges characterizing humanitarian communications in a progressive and constructive way. Both final case studies help student to go through all aspects highlighted during the whole training and will encourage them to reflect an design a own strategic and operational communication in a particular context affected by a humanitarian crisis. Professors address each module by teaching in an extremely clear and pedagogic way. Thank you!

By Lina J

Aug 29, 2020

The course is great: very comprehensive, very clearly structured and very well delivered. I learnt a lot of new things, especially regarding the heed that must be paid to all interested parties, and potential consequences if we, communicators, fail at that. I also relearnt many things and now have a much better understanding and focus regarding the things that I 'kind of sensed' but would have never been able to put into a coherent sentence before. Well done to the lecturers' team at the University of Geneva! Thank you!

By Saeed A

Apr 1, 2017

It is a very good course highly recommended for anyone who wishes to take up the challenge of working in humanitarian sector. The course content is very simple, structured and course coordinators are good. Peer counselling and forums are a good way to further your understanding about any issue which you might think is tricky. Case studies are very helpful and peer reviewed assignments are a great expereince. Highly recommended.

By Ifeoma O

Apr 27, 2020

Humanitarian communication-Addressing key challenges was very informative and well Structured, overall I learnt the importance knowing what channels to send your message across in a humanitarian settings I.e key components of communication and the evolution of communication, Humanitarian principles, the different communication structures and the main challenges of communication in a humanitarian setting.

By Kris D R

Jan 16, 2020

The structure and content of the course was very well thought through: the specific context of humanitarian interventions does indeed need a specific set of ground rules regarding the communication. The speakers all were clear and I found the turn-around time perfect for its purpose; this course has whetted my appetite for more humanitarian-related courses, and as far as this one, I warmly endorse it!

By Tarek T

Sep 25, 2017

Very essential course for all humanitarian workers on the different levels.

I recommend this course as one of the basics for everyone aims to have a professional humanitarian endeavour!

Especial thanks to all the lecturers and for CERAH the place of making perfect humanitarian professional. My ambition and dream to continue my studies in this great place!

By Joana R S S

Aug 10, 2020

Being a student of Humanitarian communication has brought me more skills that I can emphasize. Aside from learning how to project and think strategically among possible humanitarian crises, it helped me to cultivate my diligence and fast thinking. Highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in the humanitarian sector!

By Oscar D Q

May 8, 2020

Its a course that provides several practical tools and theoretical knowledge to develop communication strategies in humanitarian settings. There are better parts that others, however as a whole, I ahve been able to apply it's learnings into real life situations of my umanitarian work.

By Carolina P W

Oct 14, 2019

Me costó un mundo terminarl por falta de tiempo, pero finalmente lo hice y estoy muy satisfecha. Me pareció muy práctico, bien estructurado y me sirvó mucho para aplicar la perspectiva humanitaria en el trabajo que realizo como comunicadora en distintas organizaciones.

By Francesca A

Nov 28, 2017

This course was great!

Content clear, lessons wells structured and organised, even in little details and a excellent final project. I am thankful to the professors and lecturers.

Wish an entire online master would be available. Would be happy to pay for it.

By Jeyani T

Sep 27, 2020

It was really challenging course and empowered my knowledge in Humanitarian Communication

After this, I could define what is Humanitarian Communication and can face the challenges by communication through strategies in a crisis situation

By Alice C

May 5, 2020

Some of the examples studied in the course may be a little outdated and could be more varied (most of them focus on humanitarian actions related to health). But the course is still very relevant and enriching, so I strongly recommend it.

By Ewa D

Aug 21, 2017

I really enjoyed it. The theory part was a bit boring but necessary. What was the most exciting for me: the case studies and final assignment. Real hands on. Tones of useful reading materials, really facinating. Really recommended.

By Leire

Aug 24, 2017

Great introduction on humanitarian communication for the ones we work in the field of human rights. Moreover, the structure of the course and the explanations of the professors are really well presented. Congratulations!

By Amanda C

Nov 22, 2018

Thank you so much to all the staff (teachers, students and technical producers)! I really enjoyed the course and learned a lot about communication processes, not only in humanitarian contexts but also in my daily life.

By Marco S S

Apr 22, 2020

Very interesting and well prepared course. The structure is clear, logical and easy to follow. Lot of materials and classes properly prepared. The best course in social science field I have seen online until now.

By Thibaut S

Feb 13, 2017

This course was very interesting ! Go back to come communications basics and then move on to a humanitarian focused point of view was a great way to talk about issues we can face in our daily work.

By Thadée K M

Oct 24, 2020

This course is very important.

It makes it possible to surpass the challenges of communication in the context of hummanitarian aid interventions in the field of action.

I recommand it to others