Back to Information Security: Context and Introduction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Information Security: Context and Introduction by University of London

In this course you will explore information security through some introductory material and gain an appreciation of the scope and context around the subject. This includes a brief introduction to cryptography, security management and network and computer security that allows you to begin the journey into the study of information security and develop your appreciation of some key information security concepts. The course concludes with a discussion around a simple model of the information security industry and explores skills, knowledge and roles so that you can determine and analyse potential career opportunities in this developing profession and consider how you may need to develop personally to attain your career goals. After completing the course you will have gained an awareness of key information security principles regarding information, confidentiality, integrity and availability. You will be able to explain some of the key aspects of information risk and security management, in addition, summarise some of the key aspects in computer and network security, including some appreciation of threats, attacks, exploits and vulnerabilities. You will also gain an awareness of some of the skills, knowledge and roles/careers opportunities within the information security industry....

PA

Jul 09, 2020

Through Coursera, I can now become a cyber physical security expert. With their online course, I have had basic knowledge in information security. I encourage others to join their online program.

JN

May 28, 2018

This has been very informative. I am in the IT industry and this has served as a good reminder and has helped me understand some rationales behind some of the things I do on a daily basis.

301 - 322 of 322 Reviews for Information Security: Context and Introduction

By Bridget F

Jul 31, 2020

I enjoyed the pace of the course but was often distracted by the misspellings and broken sentence structures within the course content. The course did give me greater insight into Cyber and Information Security which was what I was looking for. Thank you for the oppportunity.

By Sean B

Aug 23, 2017

They do a decent job at presenting info sec definitions, technologies, and such. I had some issues understanding one of the lecturers, several of the video notes had misspellings/grammatical issues, and many of the quiz questions were poorly worded or ambiguous.

By Suchi P

Jul 11, 2017

It is good course for a beginner who know nothing about cyber security. This is not for professionals. Also, the last week lectures are full of information which is difficult to remember. The course should be more conceptual than informative.

By Henrik B

Sep 06, 2017

Course was a good overview of the area, and gave insights into the depth of the field. I am however a bit more hands on, I like details, programming, pentesting, so for me this course was a bit to theoretical.

By Zheng x

This course is actually a very general introduction of the whole information security area. However, if you want to learn any "hardcore" knowledge, then this is not the proper course for you.

By galimba

Jul 07, 2017

The course was not what I expected. It was corporate oriented, lacking the technical knowledge needed to perform any task related to Information Security in the real world.

By Tianyu W

Jan 05, 2018

Week 3-4 was the most informational, and week 5 was the least informational and doesn't connect very well with the rest of the course.

By Abdulsalam A A

Apr 08, 2020

it is too deep not for the non IT profissionals. also the language of the spanish teatcher is so diffecalt for me.

By Miguel A P

Jan 10, 2019

Útil para tener un visión general introductoria al mundo de la Seguridad de la Información

By Rianne K

Dec 03, 2018

Good course. The questions of the quizzes didn't always reflect the lectures.

By Jose L B

Mar 08, 2018

is a very light course, can be done in 2 weeks instead of 5

By Chen U

Apr 11, 2018

Theoretical, UK-based, lack practicality.

By Yuma T K

Apr 28, 2020

i found instructor boring.Overall nice.

By Prathap U

Feb 15, 2018

Content can be made more technical

By Smita K

Apr 25, 2020

it took too much time

Aug 18, 2018

This is/was a disappointing course. I sat for and passed the CompTIA CASP certification during the time I was enrolled, so I think I have at least a modicum of credibility regarding information security and assurance. Before I abandoned the course, I was left slack jawed by more than one of the quizzes, to the point that I had to wonder if both the instructors and I were equally competent to carry on a conversation about the subject.

Perhaps my differences with the instructors are cultural. The instructors are Brits, while I'm merely an American anglophile (albeit one descended from Scousers). As anyone who has attempted to complete a crossword puzzle from the Times of London and the New York Times can attest, we are two peoples separated by much more than simply a common language.

However, my own suspicion is that our separate views are mostly a product of our different vocations. I work as a cybersecurity engineer in the private sector, while the instructors are academics. As the old adage goes, he who can does....

This is purely an academic treatment of IT security. If that's what one is looking for, then it will do nicely. Otherwise, one would do well to look elsewhere.

By Gianluca G

Dec 24, 2017

Information Security abridged beyond the point of usefulness: I came from a physical sciences background, so I thought I could benefit from a course conveying the basics ideas behind information security. However, the course hovers so quickly on its topics that it ends up delivering a mixture of common knowledge, common sense and technical classifications whose usefulness remains dubious by the end of the course. I understand that topics like standardised security requirements or the various classifications of the information security industry might be the nuts and bolts of some professional paths, but settling for an abstract description of each ISO27000 document doesn't provide any real insight on the topic. My negative impression might stem from an interest towards the more technical aspect of the subject (I thought the cryptography section and the the Network and Computer security section were definitely more useful than the remainder of the course), but I failed to realise how the approach chosen in this course could teach more than nomenclature. That said, the quality of the video material is very high and I thought the open writing assignment were well designed.

By Zhu L

Nov 06, 2017

I've learned and finshed a lot of courses on Coursera, and this is the first one I choose to actively give up. Not because it's hard, but for the quizzes I can't stand.

While the lecture video is indeed informative, well-explained and interesting, the quizzes can be described as mere "reading comprehension". You can simply ignore all the videos and search for keywords in the transcript. If there's no need for any understanding in technological terms and the web of knowledge, then this is not a course on information security, because you learn nothing about it after finishing all those quizzes.

vague questions + multiple choices + word play + 1 or 2 attempts / 8 hours = intolerable.

The good thing about math and code is that they're perfectly objective and well-defined. Such is why I leave all the wisecracks out of work, all those insufferable vagueness and ambiguity. It's like this course is designed for law school students, who are experts in logic and rhetoric, or the Riddler.

By Owen L

It delivers what it promises - context and introduction.

Still, this course was a disappointment. Very high level, not at all technical. One of the instructors delivering the week 3 & 4 content (so the bulk of it) was very difficult to understand.

If you're a non-technical person looking to learn some terminology, it's a quick course you can take. But I really feel like there have to be better options out there.

By David N

Jan 25, 2018

The quizes in this course do not test the learned knowledge. They are needlessly vague and poorly worded.

By Eldar B

Aug 13, 2017

The quiz:

Authentication and Authorisation

is unbelievably and indescribably foolish.

It's easy to prove: when you start the video "Authentication and Authorization" you have been informed that most of the users looks this video more than 1 time, and it's not because it's important, it's because video is not answering to one of the questions, and converting the quiz to closed loop which couldn't be resolved. Check how many people succeeded in this quiz. It's not because it is hard, it because is failure of someone who prepared it.

just - WASTE OF TIME!

By Hlanganani

May 08, 2020

One of the main lecturers with a lisp was difficult to understand. Also there is too much assumption that everyone understands many of the basic terms.