Back to Introduction to Deep Learning

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Deep Learning by HSE University

The goal of this course is to give learners basic understanding of modern neural networks and their applications in computer vision and natural language understanding. The course starts with a recap of linear models and discussion of stochastic optimization methods that are crucial for training deep neural networks. Learners will study all popular building blocks of neural networks including fully connected layers, convolutional and recurrent layers. Learners will use these building blocks to define complex modern architectures in TensorFlow and Keras frameworks. In the course project learner will implement deep neural network for the task of image captioning which solves the problem of giving a text description for an input image. The prerequisites for this course are: 1) Basic knowledge of Python. 2) Basic linear algebra and probability. Please note that this is an advanced course and we assume basic knowledge of machine learning. You should understand: 1) Linear regression: mean squared error, analytical solution. 2) Logistic regression: model, cross-entropy loss, class probability estimation. 3) Gradient descent for linear models. Derivatives of MSE and cross-entropy loss functions. 4) The problem of overfitting. 5) Regularization for linear models. Do you have technical problems? Write to us: coursera@hse.ru...

DK
Sep 19, 2019

one of the excellent courses in deep learning. As stated its advanced and enjoyed a lot in solving the assignments. looking forward for more such courses especially in Natural language processing

TP
Aug 8, 2020

A very good course and it is truly insightful. This course deals with more on the concepts therefore I have a better understanding of what is really happening when I build deep learning models.

51 - 75 of 422 Reviews for Introduction to Deep Learning

By Rabia

Dec 31, 2019

This was a great course with a lot of hands-on programming time. I liked that the programming assignments didn't have a lot of hand-holding and I ended up learning a decent amount of numpy/tensorflow/keras on my own. It would have been better to have a little more guidance in terms of functional requirements for some of the later assignments which would have saved some unnecessary frustration. But overall it was awesome - looking back on it, I'm amazed at the breadth of material they covered.

By Shervin S

Aug 16, 2019

Thoughtful course with good examples and code. Instructor presentations and graphics used were very organized and clear. Assignments are fairly simple, in terms of work required, but they require you to understand the context and reading through the code is useful. The forum was fairly useful, too.

Some further comments explaining code blocks and practices would have made this experience complete.

By nicu@ionita.at

Feb 5, 2018

I guess for ML beginners this course is hard, because some of the lectures are pretty succint and you must figure out by yourself what is going on. But that helps too to understand better some issues. And at least for me the estimated time for the assignments was a bit too optimistic. Still I like the course and learned a lot of new things, altough I was not really new to this matter.

By nithin k m

Apr 17, 2020

There aren't many Courses as this which gives us detailed understanding of Why things Work and Do not Work and What can you do to make them Work. Their theory explanation and practical application's of AutoEncoder's and RNN's is highlight of this Course which aren't offered by many. In loved the projects which do involve every small detail and helped me in Office-Work.

By Kelvin L

Mar 12, 2018

This program is more suitable to those who already have mid level knowledge about the nuts and bots of Deep Learning and looking for hands-on opportunities to advanced skills. Having said that, the projects are really rewarding.

The main problem of this program is that. the teaching is very brief and there's no supporting resource at all, except the discussion forum.

By Ravi P B

Nov 4, 2020

Introduction to Deep Learning is an excellent course to dive into the beautiful world of deep learning and artificial intelligence. Covers a wide range of topics. Instructors,course content,programming assignments are absolutely amazing. The assignments are bit advanced and challenging and this makes the course even more enjoyable. Absolutely loved it.

By Dalton H

May 24, 2019

This course was great. I thought the lectures were good, and the quizzes are good at testing your knowledge, but the bets part of the course comes from the assignments. The assignments were both fun and interesting, and allowed me to try different tasks I would have been too intimidated to try otherwise (such as GANs). I really enjoyed this course.

By Michał G

Jun 26, 2020

The name of the course highlight the scope of it. Indeed, it is intro to deep learning. I like the Programming Assigmnents and very to-the-ground approach. Neural Nets with using only numpy was great. Highly recommended for people who are in the industry of Data Science and want to have broad, practical experience with deep learning.

By Kris J

Apr 26, 2018

I didn't watch the videos as I wanted to try my current know-how on the assignments directly, but I can only recommend doing them, as they will provide you with great guidelines on implementing and training different types of neural networks. Even for a fairly experienced data scientist, the assignments were compelling enough.

By Eric A S

May 21, 2018

This is an amazing course, though I would not recommend it to people who are new to machine learning. If you are familiar with the basics, this course is a great intro to more advanced topics, which are explained in easy to understand terms. The assignments are not easy and a lot of work is required, but it is well worth it.

By Ivan K

Dec 14, 2017

I like the course, it gives nice overview of neural nets, frameworks and general implementation approaches. It's a bit time consuming if you're using commodity laptop to train models, but very realistic at the same time. There were a couple of issues with programming assignments, but I'm still giving the course solid 5.

By Jorge

Aug 7, 2019

Sometimes it's hard to follow, since it is more advanced machine learning than introduction, but that's not bad. It gives a general vision of how machine learning solves different problems. Assigments are truly demanding but, again, that's not bad. Resolving them guarantees that you have learned concerned concepts.

By Michael B

Nov 11, 2018

Excellent course which introduces the core concepts of deep learning. However, it is not for the absolute beginner. If you have a good understanding of programming in Python and have done some other introductory deep learning courses, you should be able to complete this course without too much trouble.

By Milos M

Feb 23, 2019

This course goes deep in some areas of Deep Learning that other courses seem to skip, I like the extensive math explanation. Some of the quiz questions as well as project assignments were not formulated very well but overall I like this course, and I would recommend it to intermediate level student.

By Francisco J D G

Oct 13, 2020

A diferencia de otros cursos, este resulta no ser fácil, requiriendo que uno le dedique el tiempo para interiorizar los conceptos y lograr la programación de las tareas. Es recomendable para los que quieren una introducción al deep learning y ya poseen habilidades en la programación en python

By Tolga K

Mar 22, 2019

It's one of the best courses I take about Deep Learning. Of course there are some issues as there are in all courses, but they are minimal. I got very important insights from this course and instructors know subjects well. Throughout the course I never suspected about it and money I spended.

By Bob F

Mar 9, 2018

This course provided a great introduction to deep learning with TensorFlow and Keras. The lecturers did an excellent job explaining concepts and techniques and the programming assignments were perfect for getting started with implementing deep learning models. Thanks for an amazing class!

By Gary S

Jun 7, 2019

Excellent course. Covers the material in just enough detail to get you started applying deep learning to your own projects. Jupyter notebooks help tremendously as an entry point for you to learn Tensorflow, Keras, and Numpy. Looking forward to the other courses in the specialization.

By Guy G

Aug 5, 2019

Great course. I found it very cost-effective for providing a broad knowledge about DL, as it covers many topics in a relative short time - providing clear and concise explanations, experimenting with a variety of architectures, and how to utilize them for solving different tasks.

By Egor L

Aug 10, 2018

I liked the course very much and can recommend it. It had its own flaws (for example first several videos are a bit difficult to listen to without subtitles), but the material is worth it. A good kick start for studying and applying deep learning. Thanks to all course creators!

By David O

Jan 26, 2018

Excellent course. Well delivered lectures and hands-on programming assignments. My one criticism is that the original programming assignment on auto encoders took an inordinate amount of time and remained unattainable. This has been corrected with the release of a new version.

By Evgeniy R

Nov 7, 2017

Very practical course, provides all the necessary means for the deep learning dive. Being trained as a statistician, I used to believe I'm a bit too oldschool to do deep learning, and now look at me using keras and Tensorflow! Almost as embarrassing as your dad trying to skate.

By Arnaud R

Jan 21, 2018

You'll need to spend some time in the forums to get some answers but overall a demanding course where I learned a ton and for which I had to work hard to finish. I recommend taking the easier deeplearning.ai specialization first and then come back here for completion.

By Yuanxin W

Mar 17, 2019

As a junior deep learning research intern, I feel this course is a good refresher for some dl knowledge and applications. One suggestion I would have is the instructors should have more explanations on the math part (Jacobian matrix etc..). Overall quality is great!

By Abel F Z C

Jul 10, 2020

Some of the programming assignments could not be done only with the information given in the videos, I suggest giving the students better and complete tools so they can make the programming activities without losing so much time. But in general, a very good course.