Back to Introduction to Deep Learning

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Deep Learning by National Research University Higher School of Economics

The goal of this course is to give learners basic understanding of modern neural networks and their applications in computer vision and natural language understanding. The course starts with a recap of linear models and discussion of stochastic optimization methods that are crucial for training deep neural networks. Learners will study all popular building blocks of neural networks including fully connected layers, convolutional and recurrent layers. Learners will use these building blocks to define complex modern architectures in TensorFlow and Keras frameworks. In the course project learner will implement deep neural network for the task of image captioning which solves the problem of giving a text description for an input image. The prerequisites for this course are: 1) Basic knowledge of Python. 2) Basic linear algebra and probability. Please note that this is an advanced course and we assume basic knowledge of machine learning. You should understand: 1) Linear regression: mean squared error, analytical solution. 2) Logistic regression: model, cross-entropy loss, class probability estimation. 3) Gradient descent for linear models. Derivatives of MSE and cross-entropy loss functions. 4) The problem of overfitting. 5) Regularization for linear models. Do you have technical problems? Write to us: coursera@hse.ru...

DK

Sep 20, 2019

one of the excellent courses in deep learning. As stated its advanced and enjoyed a lot in solving the assignments. looking forward for more such courses especially in Natural language processing

AK

Jun 02, 2019

one of the best courses I have attended. clear explanation, clear examples, amazing quizzes & Programming Assignment this course is advanced level, don't enroll it if you are a new starter.

76 - 100 of 256 Reviews for Introduction to Deep Learning

By Edward J

Feb 28, 2018

Great course!

By Nimish S

Dec 05, 2017

A fast paced but very indepth look. Programming exercises are great

By Ivan K

Dec 14, 2017

I like the course, it gives nice overview of neural nets, frameworks and general implementation approaches. It's a bit time consuming if you're using commodity laptop to train models, but very realistic at the same time. There were a couple of issues with programming assignments, but I'm still giving the course solid 5.

By SAHIR S

Mar 08, 2018

An really good introduction to Deep Learning. I think that this course is for students already familar with eep Learning

By David O

Jan 26, 2018

Excellent course. Well delivered lectures and hands-on programming assignments. My one criticism is that the original programming assignment on auto encoders took an inordinate amount of time and remained unattainable. This has been corrected with the release of a new version.

By Kristiyan D

Apr 26, 2018

I didn't watch the videos as I wanted to try my current know-how on the assignments directly, but I can only recommend doing them, as they will provide you with great guidelines on implementing and training different types of neural networks. Even for a fairly experienced data scientist, the assignments were compelling enough.

By Eric A S

May 21, 2018

This is an amazing course, though I would not recommend it to people who are new to machine learning. If you are familiar with the basics, this course is a great intro to more advanced topics, which are explained in easy to understand terms. The assignments are not easy and a lot of work is required, but it is well worth it.

By Nahibau R

Feb 13, 2018

Очень полезный курс.

By Tom M

May 11, 2018

Fun course that teaches some very cool topics.

By Chenglei S

Jul 05, 2018

Assignments are good.

By Kelvin L

Mar 12, 2018

This program is more suitable to those who already have mid level knowledge about the nuts and bots of Deep Learning and looking for hands-on opportunities to advanced skills. Having said that, the projects are really rewarding.

The main problem of this program is that. the teaching is very brief and there's no supporting resource at all, except the discussion forum.

By 基伦

Jan 17, 2018

Great course. Really helpful hands-on practice problems and coding assignments. Recommended!

By Arnaud R

Jan 21, 2018

You'll need to spend some time in the forums to get some answers but overall a demanding course where I learned a ton and for which I had to work hard to finish. I recommend taking the easier deeplearning.ai specialization first and then come back here for completion.

By Zhanpeng H

Jan 05, 2018

This is the best course that I have taken so far about deep learning on Coursera. It contains nice explanations about different types of neural networks.

By Niculae I

Feb 05, 2018

I guess for ML beginners this course is hard, because some of the lectures are pretty succint and you must figure out by yourself what is going on. But that helps too to understand better some issues. And at least for me the estimated time for the assignments was a bit too optimistic. Still I like the course and learned a lot of new things, altough I was not really new to this matter.

By Zoltan S

Apr 08, 2018

It is fast paced. One of the best courses I have ever taken.

By Amulya R B

Nov 05, 2017

Awesome course!

By Ahmed N

Apr 23, 2018

It is great and rich contents i studied machine learning a lot and this one is very useful and beneficial to me thanks a lot.

By Faris G

Jun 08, 2018

Really inspired me to continue deep learning.

By Samuel Y

Jan 15, 2018

Very fast and solid course, requiring in-depth knowledge and hard working. Especially the most criticized program assignment part, some is not well detailed and guided (even broken), but it is also partly realistic to mimic actual machine learning project development. It might also take days to tune and try to beat some required passing-level. Fix it yourself is really helpful to master the essence. Running those notebooks locally or in own server env with GPU support is strongly recommended to avoid wasting hours to find coursera kernel dead during training.

By Subham T

Feb 21, 2018

Nice course with all the concepts explained in a lucid way

By Maxim B

Jul 17, 2018

I think it's a good start. Thank you.

By Sasikumar G

Jul 20, 2018

Good

By zhaoyulai

Jul 19, 2018

课程不错, 但英语听不懂, Inception Fine-tune难度比较大, 运行耗时间且电脑发热

By superfantastic

Jul 20, 2018

Fantastic course.In fact, I think it,s not a easy thing to accomplish all the assignments with this course.

I got a lot of gains through this course. Thanks for all the instructors.