Back to Introduction to Classical Music

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Classical Music by Yale University

Using a simple and enjoyable teaching style, this course introduces the novice listener to the wonders of classical music, from Bach fugues to Mozart symphonies to Puccini operas....

SL
Mar 6, 2019

Really appreciate Prof. Wright give us such rich content and sophisticated course. I really enjoy and love it. I am looking forward to seeing more high-level courses from Prof. Wright if there is any.

EV
Oct 15, 2020

Wonderful course where Craig Wright delves into all eras of classical music and takes you along for the wonderful ride! Craig Wright is one of the best instructors I have come across! Enjoy the ride!

826 - 850 of 897 Reviews for Introduction to Classical Music

Aug 22, 2017

L

By Edward B

Aug 20, 2020

Good overall intro to Classical Music. First three weeks gives an overview of music theory, the rest of the course reviews in broad strokes the various periods of the history of music highlighting the advances and changes seen in each. There are attempts made throughout to tie the music history to historical signposts of visual and other art (less so to historical events, to its detriment). I have no special music background and never seriously played an instrument yet found the course fairly easy to follow. My tenuous grasp of music theory (acquired from those first three weeks) did not really limit me although had it been stronger I would have gotten more out of the course. But it was not essential. I think the teaching was a bit uneven - I appreciated the focus and pace (ie not too fast) but I thought some of the videos were plodding and the visuals static and unexciting. I read one of the reviews noting that Professor Wright's style was as if Mr. Rogers was teaching music history. Unfortunately I found this true in his pacing and delivery of information. The course itself fails to "sing", it tends to plod. It seems fairly basic and not particularly sophisticated; I would say that it fulfills its role as an introduction to music history for freshmen in college but failed to bring particularly intriguing insight to music that might excite an older student (like me - freshman year was 49 years ago for me). I am sure that Prof Wright can bring far more to the topic than this course would suggest. I was amused to hear him break into very credible Philip Glass (well, I can't play at all so he does far better than I ever could with all the music he plays). And talk about his friendship to John Adams. To sum up however: I enjoyed the course and it will be the basis of further learning - the point to an introduction!

By Elizabeth T

Mar 22, 2020

Professor Wright is knowledgeable and passionate about his field. His lectures cover a lot of ground and provide a fascinating introduction to classical music. I enjoyed the course and learned a great deal. I especially enjoyed the lectures on the evolution of the piano.

A couple of things are less than ideal.

-Foreign-language pronunciation is often approximate at best

-Mistakes on transcripts are left un-corrected. (Just one example: the lecture on the national anthems - Germany and Austria do not share the same melody for their anthems.)

-Some of the quizzes are fine. Some questions, however, test small details which have very little if nothing to do with the main points of the lecture. (I'm not talking about the listening quizzes which some participants complained about in the forums. Those are actually appropriate in my opinion.)