Back to Introduction to Classical Music

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Classical Music by Yale University

Using a simple and enjoyable teaching style, this course introduces the novice listener to the wonders of classical music, from Bach fugues to Mozart symphonies to Puccini operas....

SL
Mar 6, 2019

Really appreciate Prof. Wright give us such rich content and sophisticated course. I really enjoy and love it. I am looking forward to seeing more high-level courses from Prof. Wright if there is any.

EV
Oct 15, 2020

Wonderful course where Craig Wright delves into all eras of classical music and takes you along for the wonderful ride! Craig Wright is one of the best instructors I have come across! Enjoy the ride!

151 - 175 of 894 Reviews for Introduction to Classical Music

By CAROLINE   CULASTE   BALABA

Jul 3, 2020

Excellent!!! Professor Craig Wright and team delivered it well. Classical Music saved my life from boredom and anxiety in this time of CoviD19 pandemic. Now, I learned that i am more of a classical person, i sleep, breathe and relax well of this kind of classical music. Probably, I am an old soul inside, in a pop-modern lifestyle. Cheers !!!

By frederic p

Feb 26, 2018

I strongly recommend this course to anyone interested in Music ; it’s a fabulous journey through centuries, from the early Middle Ages to the Postmodernist era.

Professor Wright is always caring and exciting.

I have been looking for such a course for years.

Thousands of thanks to Professor Wright and to the team to imagine and produce it !!

By Jose W O

Jun 17, 2017

The Material and how it is presented is great, very professional and supported with different approaches and activities to maintain it fun. The historical references and the examples are also very interesting and meaningful. I really enjoyed this course, I wanted to join the visit to Austria but it is pretty expensive for me, maybe some day.

By Ng H S

Feb 7, 2016

Well-structured, well-paced, easy to understand. Good mix of classical music and pop music references to help you understand. This course really helped me to understand exactly why I love certain classical music pieces. FYI if you're on Spotify, someone's created an accompanying playlist so you can listen to the music he references in full.

By Anna K

May 22, 2020

Un cours très sympa. Malheureusement, plusieurs compositeurs n'ont pas pu être abordés, sans doute, par manque de temps. J'aurais bien aimé un chapitre consacré à la musique française (Bizet, Massenet), à l'opéra vériste italienne (Puccini, Leoncavallo), à la musique russe.

En revanche, Mozart, Beethoven, Bach étaient très bien présentés.

By Vida H

Jul 28, 2016

This is a great course. I really enjoyed doing it, and I must say this course kept me going as it was very stimulating. The video lectures was great, clearly explained and easy to follow. I have already recommend this course to my friends, and I would like to thank professor Wright and all the course team for making such enjoyable course.

By Tressa C

Dec 31, 2020

This course was so well structured. Professor Wright keeps you very focused wanting to learn more and more. He has so much knowledge to share and there is so much to learn here. I am so happy I found this course. Also, his book "The Hidden Habits of Genius: Beyond Talent ,IQ and Grit-Unlocking the Secrets of Greatness" is a MUST READ!!

By Tushar D

Jan 10, 2021

This course is truly the first step in the journey of understanding western classical music. The instructor has done an outstanding job in setting the context and giving a birds eye view of the fundamentals of western classical music. I'm now able to better appreciate classical music as compared to an earlier purely sensory experience.

By LI W

May 9, 2016

Thank you Pr. Wright for this excellent course, I really enjoyed the content, the structure as well as your way of explaining things! As simple music lover, I have been listening to classical music since a while, this course helped me to have a more structured knowledge of it. Hope you would think of recording more and deeper courses.

By Hasan F G

Sep 2, 2020

What a fascinating learning experience, a joyful, enriching journey with Prof. Wright through man's history of music and fine arts, looking into a wide spectrum of sounds, sights, movements and culture. I wish the course were a never-ending one. Heartfelt gratitude to Prof. Craig Wright, Yale Broadcast Center and the Yale University.

By Enyu L

Aug 3, 2020

A great and engaging course to learn about some music theories and different styles of Western classical music! I really appreciate the instructor and other members of the team that put the course together and put it out on Coursera. I feel like classical music sounds different to my ears now, and I am inspired to learn more. Thanks!

By isabel r

Jun 13, 2020

I am very satisfied and excited with this course! It is very beautiful and interesting course! Indeed, the professor Craig M. Wright makes it more interesting and entertaining!! He is an excellent professional, and delightful to hear and look at!!

My best regards for him!

PD: I am waiting for his published book coming out this year..!

By Mirna A E A

May 29, 2016

I simply love the course! I've rarely seen a professor who is so good in fascinating his students. I feel like I'm not only learning a lot in this course, but that it is also great fun learning with Prof. Wright. Thank you very much for that, I really appreciate the work everyone has put into this course, it was definitely worth it!

By Sampath K , R

Jan 11, 2021

One of those rare courses which make me want to do it again. The course covered all the important aspects of music from some inputs on theory to the essence of CLASSICAL MUSIC so ably, totally. and professionally covered by Prof. Wright. My understanding of Western Classical Music is now above average. Thanks to this course.

By Inga V

Jan 29, 2016

The course will be difficult for those who have no musical training. I enjoyed the course, though I often wished Dr Wright didn't play the piano himself as wrong notes spoil the impression. I'm also puzzled why a renowned musician like Robert Blocker plays Chopin's prelude in C minor wrong. Thank you for the course, Yale.

By Maria

Feb 19, 2019

Haven't finished watching yet, but absolutely love the material, surprised at times by the accuracy of the comparisons with architecture, art, philosophy and teology even. Professor Wright is incredible - so happy to have stumbled upon the course, and what luck it is to be introduced to music by such a talented teacher.

By Clara K

Mar 31, 2019

Wonderful introduction to the world of classical music. I learned some music theory as well as a great overview of the history of music. I have been playing instruments for fun since I was a child, but I feel like I have a greater understanding and appreciation of music now. Thank you for sharing this with the public.

By Pablo D C

I find this course essential if you are interested in classical music. It is a great way to grow as a musician (I am a nonclassical musician) and as a listener. The simple explanations and the organisation of the teaching material make it very easy to understand everything, even if you don't know so much about music.

By Ricardo C d S L

Jun 15, 2018

Great course! Really helped me to get to know the main works of the History of Music, and to grow the taste for classical music. Excellent didactic by Professor Craig and his team on the "Office Hours". Enjoyed so much, and now will keep learning with all the suggestions of music to listen received during the course.

By Hansel R Z L

Oct 15, 2020

excelente curso, algunos examenes me confundieron pero es porque la traducción al español cambian ciertas palabras y se pone complejo. pero el curso es perfecto y extenso y lo mejor mezcla la música y arte. gracias profesor Wright su curso es muy valioso para mi y para las nuevas generaciones...saludos de colombia!

By Joan M L

Jul 18, 2020

it's by far the best way to introduce yourself into classical music even if you ever listened to or think of it as a boring subject.

professor Wright spreads his love for music with well explained examples and a fine sense of humor.

I wish all music teachers i had when i was a student were like professor Wright-

By Chelsea N H

I really enjoyed this course. This course really broadened my knowledge of classical music and it definitely lived up to my expectations. I was never really experienced in classical music but this course has sparked my interest in it. If you take this course, I am positive you will be happy with its results.

By Stephan N

Jul 4, 2020

This course gives a broad overview of Western classical music from the Middle Ages to the 21st century. The first three weeks give an overview of some basic music theory, so if you have a background in music, you may want to breeze through those quizzes and get right to week 4, where the action really starts.

By Diep C H

Apr 9, 2020

Excellent!!!, a huge thank to the team for putting this together, especially Mr. Craig Wright, I have gained a lot insight and appreciated classical music even more, I love the way the class was taught, it's very visual, interesting and in a moderate length. Definitely love love love the office hour too <3