Back to Introduction to Classical Music

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Classical Music by Yale University

Using a simple and enjoyable teaching style, this course introduces the novice listener to the wonders of classical music, from Bach fugues to Mozart symphonies to Puccini operas....

SL

Mar 07, 2019

Really appreciate Prof. Wright give us such rich content and sophisticated course. I really enjoy and love it. I am looking forward to seeing more high-level courses from Prof. Wright if there is any.

ER

Mar 08, 2016

This course has a lot of information. It is well organized, and so many music illustrations. I am really enjoying this course, and will freely recommend it to anyone interested in classical music.

51 - 75 of 794 Reviews for Introduction to Classical Music

By Stéphanie L

Jan 16, 2017

Professor Craig Wright is a passionate teacher and music lover who makes information easily accessible to anyone regardless of previous musical knowledge. I can better appreciate music since I've taken this course, simply because I can understand it better. I can identify musical styles, periods, and even composers. Pr. Wright shares anecdotes on composers and events that make the history and theory easier to remember. I have to admit that I wasn't sure if I'd like his teaching style when I watched the first few videos, but I was quickly converted. Professor Wright is so endearing and funny! An expert, really. I absolutely loved this course.

By Ilze B

Oct 18, 2016

Absolutely lovely, wonderful and incredibly engaging course. I developed a habit to watch the lecture on my way to and from work and couple of times almost missed my stop to get out. :)

I used to listen to classical music before taking the course, because I simply liked the feel it created. This course has allowed me to listen to it more intelligently, to know and recognize more of what I actually hear, and in case of postmodern music, explained nicely what are the elements that over time have become reasons for me not really liking it.

Long story short, I use this course as an example to tell friends how amazing Coursera is.

By Miren J

Jun 21, 2020

This is an excellent course! I completed it during the "lockdown" due to the Corvid19 as I have had a lot more time on my hands, and it has been a wonderful experience. Craig Wright is a fantastic teacher and the course is extremely well put together with a really good combination of music, music theory, biographical information about the composers profiled and general art history too. I used to play the flute, and the course has inspired me to pick up my flute (for the first time in over ten years) which has also been a lot of fun. If you have any interest in classical music, I wholeheartedly recommend this course.

By Roger G

Aug 07, 2020

Great course! I have sang in our church choir and our community symphony choir for many years but I learned music terms which aids in my music comprehension. The quizzes were challenging and required some outside resources (especially identifying the different triads). I have taken a music appreciation course at my local college but this course went into greater depth in music theory and history. I have taken 7 online courses from various universities but this is the finest course I have taken. Kudos to Professor Wright and his staff for constructing an outstanding course. Submitted by Roger Gray, Canton, Ohio , USA

By Jagannath S

Apr 04, 2018

Excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed the course. My sincere thanks to Prof Craig White and his colleagues. Apart from his knowledge and skill, I am deeply impressed (and positively influenced) by Prof White's enthusiasm to teach the program and make it interesting to learners. I had zero exposure to any type of classical music before - but now i have developed a sincere appreciation of western classical music. I still struggle with identifying the scales and notes :( but that means i need to listen more. Overall, i loved the program. Thanks to Yale University for creating this.

By Dawn S

Jul 14, 2020

Fantastic course! I can't say enough about it! I enjoyed it from beginning to end! Great professor, great videos, great format, tying in art to music to the great human experience! This class has it all drama and passion from these past great composers and artist, I can say learning about the human side of these artist helped me to appreciate one universal truth about creative people they are innovators, often misunderstood and usually have to leave this plan of existence to be really seen and appreciated. Thank you so much for this course it was utterly fantastic

By Abhijit C

Jun 29, 2020

This is the best online learning course I have ever done. I don't come from a music background, but the professor and his team could make me stick around patiently and learn about so many things for the last 9 weeks. This had been a very tough time with all the uncertainties going around us due to the pandemic, and this course played the role of a good friend to hold hands and take me along through this time. I am tremendously grateful to Prof. Crag Wright and his team at Yale, as well as the Coursera team for making this accessible. More power to you guys! :)

By ADITYA J

Feb 25, 2020

Excellent course which I enjoyed through out its duration. The rare insights into the evolution of western classical music along with biographical details of the major exponents was really helpful. As a layman without much knowledge of classical music, I can now appreciate at least some of the technical details of the melody and harmony. The course has helped me immensely and my love for western classical music has grown stronger. Thank you Coursera for offering this course and thanks to Professor Wright and Yale University for putting it all together.

By Sanae D

Jan 09, 2019

Bonjour, j'ai beaucoup appris à travers ce cours. En plus des objectifs cités dans la présentation, j'ai découvert les points marquants de chaque période de la musique classique, l'architecture qui va avec, l'interaction des musiciens avec les autres artistes et leur recherche ardue du savoir là où il est pour la plupart d'entre eux.

Je vous remercie vivement et je vous félicite professeur Wright pour le grand effort pédagogique que vous avez déployé. Je remercie aussi l'université Yale qui a mis à notre disposition ce magnifique cours.

Salutations

By Emma G

I'm not college age yet and am still in high school, but I felt that this was a very informational course that will help me to be prepared to enter the world of becoming a music educator in college. It was a sort of introduction to me of what college-level music classes might look like, and I just overall enjoyed the course. The instructor was great - very experienced, knowledgeable, and funny. I really enjoyed learning about the different styles, terminology, composers, and eras of classical music. Overall a wonderful course and would recommend!

By Barbara K

Apr 27, 2020

A wonderful course, constructed very well to teach and reinforce ideas, concepts and knowledge of music which prompts one to look further, read and listen more. Ties in with art, architecture, history, literature, dance, theatre, artisans, science, the human struggle, the world and the universe. The depth of knowledge that Professor Wright has on a lot of subjects, his sense of humour and gift of bringing the subject to life in an interesting way, has made this a most enjoyable course and way to spend some of my time in retirement. Thank You

By Pavel T

Dec 10, 2017

The one of the best courses I've ever had. I realized that before this course I knew about the classical music almost nothing although I was confident in the opposite. Craig is a great teacher and he showed me the classical music from a totally different angle. I discovered a lot of new names, especially Hildegard von Bingen - an absolute hit! Before starting this course I was afraid it would be boring and too "classic" but luckily I was a million percents wrong! Thanks for this wonderful journey through the classical music world!

By Christina

Jul 31, 2017

This is a terrific in-depth course introducing the history of classical music. I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in music. It will provide a sound foundation from medieval through modern music periods. This multimedia course is based on the instructor's excellent textbook (which is helpful but not necessary if you audit the course) plus many years of tecahing undergraduates at Yale. The Office Hours portion of the course, which is optional, was terrific, too. I give course and instructor an A!

By Jenny S

Mar 28, 2019

This is a truly wonderful course that surveys the history and development of Western music. The professor explains the details very clearly and makes the course interesting. The first two weeks were a little dry for me, because the course started with the many technicalities of music. After the first two or three weeks, it becomes much easier to follow. Now I can go to Baroque opera and Stravinsky concerts knowing what to pay attention too! I am very grateful that the professor has done such a wonderful job!

By Isabelle J

Apr 25, 2020

Un cours particulièrement clair, dont l'objectif: donner envie de découvrir, d'en savoir plus sur la musique classique, son histoire, ses différentes théories est atteint, dans mon cas en tout cas! Bien qu'à la portée du plus grand nombre, il reste d'une parfaite exigence intellectuelle. J'ai suivi ce cours avec un vrai plaisir: plaisir de redécouvrir un savoir parfois oublié, plaisir de s'enrichir à travers de nouvelles connaissances musicales. J'ai particulièrement profité des morceaux donnés en exemples.

By Jessica B

Dec 14, 2018

I so thoroughly enjoyed this course and have noticed that I appreciate classical music much more, it's so exciting when I can identify an era or composer just by listening and using my knowledge from this course! Professor Wright is a delight and also ties in other subjects and does a great job of creating an engaging course. I particularly enjoyed the brief opera reenactment. I just can't say enough great things about this course, I highly recommend it if you are remotely interested in classical music.

By Deborah M A

Sep 10, 2020

Absolutely wonderful course. Professor Craig was engaging and made the course even more enjoyable for me. I loved his sense of humor and the different materials presented. Some of the music theory parts could get complicated if you've never studied music but represent a challenge nonetheless and are interesting to understand. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone who wants to at least recognize and ultimately explore and enjoy classical musical a little more than the casual listener.

By Lisa M C

Mar 14, 2020

Dr. Wright is fabulous and the course is challenging and provides a comprehensive history of classical music, demonstrating, among other things, the classical roots of most modern popular music. I very much enjoyed learning about musical forms and structures, which has greatly enhanced my appreciation of all music. I was a classical music and opera fan before I started, but now I am inspired to continue my studies to learn to read music and play the piano. Thank you Dr. Wright!

By esteban z

Jul 26, 2020

I really enjoyed learning music history.

Professor Wright si an extraordinary teacher.

The on line course productios is very well done and it goes further than watching someone speaking.

It adds real Yale prerecorded classes, interviews with musicians, live antique instruments demonstrations, and of course images that gives context to this journey, maps, art forms, buildings, etc.

I think I can enjoy from a new perspective classical music, historicly, technically and emotionally.

By Karen S S

Jul 17, 2020

This course is a terrific introduction to classical music: the content is substantial, chronological, related to reigning ideas in art and literature and placed in historical context, including technological developments. The professor is engaging, as are the performers, guests and the TA, More women composers are needed, and appear to be added with updating. Even a person who cannot read notes, such as myself, can follow the theory enough to understand the main ideas.

By Faris K

Nov 12, 2017

I absolutely loved this course beyond my expectations. It was so interesting, engaging, at times challenging and thoroughly enjoyable. I will miss dear Mr Craig Wright and his lectures though will revisit the videos again and again (as long as I can). This was and is a most excellent introduction to Classical Music (in fact, I think it went further than a mere introduction). I also feel very privileged to be able to do a course offered by Yale. Well done all!

By annaliza c

Aug 28, 2020

Prof Craig is gentle, with lots of engaging stories and easy to adapt explanations. Majority of the quizzes are challenging so you feel good if you ace them. I love that as I finished my last quiz and video material, Handel's Messiah played in the credits, there was a digital confetti to celebrate my accomplishment and my Certificate of Completion email alerted, and the Sacher Torte (Austrian chocolate cake c1832) i ordered was delivered just on time;)

By Meijian L

Jun 25, 2020

Best introductory music course. I have watched the class videos by Craig Wright many years ago, first in China then in the US. I really liked them and gained a deeper understanding on music. I also purchased the textbook online. This new coursera course is more engaging, systematic and interesting. I am really grateful to Craig and everyone behind the course to make it possible. You are a gift to us all. Thank you very much, truly and sincerely!

By Valdeck R

Dec 14, 2017

Very informative and engaging course for beginner who appreciate classical music and would like to start exploring this universe in a more academic way. Professor Wright is captivating in his ability to pass on to his students his knowledge and love for music. His lectures are fascinating and easy to follow even when the subject gets more technical. Thank you Professor Wright for making learning about classical music fun and interesting. Bravo!