Back to Introduction to Classical Music

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Classical Music by Yale University

Using a simple and enjoyable teaching style, this course introduces the novice listener to the wonders of classical music, from Bach fugues to Mozart symphonies to Puccini operas....

SL
Mar 6, 2019

Really appreciate Prof. Wright give us such rich content and sophisticated course. I really enjoy and love it. I am looking forward to seeing more high-level courses from Prof. Wright if there is any.

EV
Oct 15, 2020

Wonderful course where Craig Wright delves into all eras of classical music and takes you along for the wonderful ride! Craig Wright is one of the best instructors I have come across! Enjoy the ride!

76 - 100 of 891 Reviews for Introduction to Classical Music

By Rachel W

Oct 15, 2020

Thank you for this fabulous course which I have just completed. It was extremely well laid and out and interesting and I learnt a lot. I highly recommend this for anyone who has any interest in music. I am a busy person but this was perfect, with videos that weren't too long in length which were very engaging, so was easy to stop and start to fit in with my lifestyle. I very much enjoyed this and am very appreciative of this being available to complete, especially at a time when we're all looking for things to do at home. Thank you very much.

By Michael V

Nov 20, 2020

Although being an enthusiastic listener of Classical music since my early years, this course has assisted me to clear uncertainties as to the periods of music while it has shed light in to the historical frame of every period and it's composers . A simple terminology has also revealed interesting aspects of the score writing techniques , making so listening much more enjoyable and deeper understood. Many thanks to Mr Wright and the whole work team at Yale and hope that a second advanced course will follow soon. Very Best Regards / Michael Vaianos

By Emma G

I'm not college age yet and am still in high school, but I felt that this was a very informational course that will help me to be prepared to enter the world of becoming a music educator in college. It was a sort of introduction to me of what college-level music classes might look like, and I just overall enjoyed the course. The instructor was great - very experienced, knowledgeable, and funny. I really enjoyed learning about the different styles, terminology, composers, and eras of classical music. Overall a wonderful course and would recommend!

By Anne Y E

Nov 19, 2020

Professor Wright is an excellent teacher, who adapted to the technology of online learning. I am so thankful for the opportunity to study at Yale University. I really got a review and overview of the History of music, all the basic components of composition, scales, harmony, chords, instruments, voices, and cultures, which pulled together everything I’ve learned from piano lessons to choral singing. This framework of knowledge provides a foundation upon which I can add future skills and information acquisition. Thank you, Professor Wright!

By Barbara K

Apr 27, 2020

A wonderful course, constructed very well to teach and reinforce ideas, concepts and knowledge of music which prompts one to look further, read and listen more. Ties in with art, architecture, history, literature, dance, theatre, artisans, science, the human struggle, the world and the universe. The depth of knowledge that Professor Wright has on a lot of subjects, his sense of humour and gift of bringing the subject to life in an interesting way, has made this a most enjoyable course and way to spend some of my time in retirement. Thank You

By Skr C

Oct 28, 2020

This is an amazing course, a little challenging when talking about the music theory, but the teacher make it simple, and more often focusing on the impact and beauty of music. At the beginning I thought the course was too long (9 weeks) but around the 5th week I found myself wishing the course could last another 10 weeks. After this course, I found myself listening to the complete symphonies and operas mentioned and recommended by the teacher. Thank you so much for this marvelous material, I will waiting for more of your excellent work.

By Pavel T

Dec 10, 2017

The one of the best courses I've ever had. I realized that before this course I knew about the classical music almost nothing although I was confident in the opposite. Craig is a great teacher and he showed me the classical music from a totally different angle. I discovered a lot of new names, especially Hildegard von Bingen - an absolute hit! Before starting this course I was afraid it would be boring and too "classic" but luckily I was a million percents wrong! Thanks for this wonderful journey through the classical music world!

By Christina

Jul 31, 2017

This is a terrific in-depth course introducing the history of classical music. I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in music. It will provide a sound foundation from medieval through modern music periods. This multimedia course is based on the instructor's excellent textbook (which is helpful but not necessary if you audit the course) plus many years of tecahing undergraduates at Yale. The Office Hours portion of the course, which is optional, was terrific, too. I give course and instructor an A!

By Wayne O

Nov 2, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course, and learned a lot more than I expected to. Before taking the course I never suspected how music was influenced by, and to some extent influenced architecture, the arts, and historical events. And at the end of the course I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could recognize what era the music was from when listening to short audio clips. Craig Wright's conversational style and subtle sense of humor made me feel like he was speaking directly to me in the class sessions.

By Jenny S

Mar 27, 2019

This is a truly wonderful course that surveys the history and development of Western music. The professor explains the details very clearly and makes the course interesting. The first two weeks were a little dry for me, because the course started with the many technicalities of music. After the first two or three weeks, it becomes much easier to follow. Now I can go to Baroque opera and Stravinsky concerts knowing what to pay attention too! I am very grateful that the professor has done such a wonderful job!

By Isabelle J

Apr 25, 2020

Un cours particulièrement clair, dont l'objectif: donner envie de découvrir, d'en savoir plus sur la musique classique, son histoire, ses différentes théories est atteint, dans mon cas en tout cas! Bien qu'à la portée du plus grand nombre, il reste d'une parfaite exigence intellectuelle. J'ai suivi ce cours avec un vrai plaisir: plaisir de redécouvrir un savoir parfois oublié, plaisir de s'enrichir à travers de nouvelles connaissances musicales. J'ai particulièrement profité des morceaux donnés en exemples.

By Jessica B

Dec 13, 2018

I so thoroughly enjoyed this course and have noticed that I appreciate classical music much more, it's so exciting when I can identify an era or composer just by listening and using my knowledge from this course! Professor Wright is a delight and also ties in other subjects and does a great job of creating an engaging course. I particularly enjoyed the brief opera reenactment. I just can't say enough great things about this course, I highly recommend it if you are remotely interested in classical music.

By Deborah M

Sep 10, 2020

Absolutely wonderful course. Professor Craig was engaging and made the course even more enjoyable for me. I loved his sense of humor and the different materials presented. Some of the music theory parts could get complicated if you've never studied music but represent a challenge nonetheless and are interesting to understand. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone who wants to at least recognize and ultimately explore and enjoy classical musical a little more than the casual listener.

By Lisa M C

Mar 13, 2020

Dr. Wright is fabulous and the course is challenging and provides a comprehensive history of classical music, demonstrating, among other things, the classical roots of most modern popular music. I very much enjoyed learning about musical forms and structures, which has greatly enhanced my appreciation of all music. I was a classical music and opera fan before I started, but now I am inspired to continue my studies to learn to read music and play the piano. Thank you Dr. Wright!

By esteban z

Jul 26, 2020

I really enjoyed learning music history.

Professor Wright si an extraordinary teacher.

The on line course productios is very well done and it goes further than watching someone speaking.

It adds real Yale prerecorded classes, interviews with musicians, live antique instruments demonstrations, and of course images that gives context to this journey, maps, art forms, buildings, etc.

I think I can enjoy from a new perspective classical music, historicly, technically and emotionally.

By Erika J C V

Dec 17, 2020

I have love this course, it was a little more intensive that I thought it would be, but I enjoyed and learned with every single minute.

I have no words for Craig Wright. Is one of the best professors I've ever had and I don't even know him in person. He knows exactly how to explain a subject without make it boring or difficult and you can easily connect with him.

I fully recomend this course, even if you are not studying or planning to study music. The experience is amazing.

By Kris J

Oct 11, 2020

Fantastic introductory course in Western classical music appreciation and history. To begin with, I didn't have a lot of background in music and knew little about music theory. This course provides a very broad overview, and presents even the technical information in an accessible way for beginners. Most of the quizzes are simple "were you paying attention" questions, but some actually test some music listening skills taught in the class. I was very happy with this class.

By Karen S S

Jul 17, 2020

This course is a terrific introduction to classical music: the content is substantial, chronological, related to reigning ideas in art and literature and placed in historical context, including technological developments. The professor is engaging, as are the performers, guests and the TA, More women composers are needed, and appear to be added with updating. Even a person who cannot read notes, such as myself, can follow the theory enough to understand the main ideas.

By Sandy U

Sep 30, 2020

I enjoyed this course very much. My early introduction to Classical music was at the hand of Leonard Bernstein when he visited my Junior High School. He thought me to listen to the music however, this class thought me the why’s and wherefores of how the music developed throughout the centuries. I now feel that I can distinguish the era it was produced and the style and probably the artist who wrote it. Kudos Mr. Wright and thank you for an enjoyable summer of learning.

By Faris K

Nov 12, 2017

I absolutely loved this course beyond my expectations. It was so interesting, engaging, at times challenging and thoroughly enjoyable. I will miss dear Mr Craig Wright and his lectures though will revisit the videos again and again (as long as I can). This was and is a most excellent introduction to Classical Music (in fact, I think it went further than a mere introduction). I also feel very privileged to be able to do a course offered by Yale. Well done all!

By Boris L

Oct 23, 2020

In my opinion, this is a very comprehensive course that thoroughly describes the development of Western music, as well as some basics of music theory. The narration is well set in the historical background, and the analysis of famous pieces of music goes hand in hand with composers' biographies and other very interesting and exciting materials. I would like to thank the creators of this course for the miraculous experience I have had these several weeks!!!

By anna l d l f c

Aug 28, 2020

Prof Craig is gentle, with lots of engaging stories and easy to adapt explanations. Majority of the quizzes are challenging so you feel good if you ace them. I love that as I finished my last quiz and video material, Handel's Messiah played in the credits, there was a digital confetti to celebrate my accomplishment and my Certificate of Completion email alerted, and the Sacher Torte (Austrian chocolate cake c1832) i ordered was delivered just on time;)

By Meijian L

Jun 25, 2020

Best introductory music course. I have watched the class videos by Craig Wright many years ago, first in China then in the US. I really liked them and gained a deeper understanding on music. I also purchased the textbook online. This new coursera course is more engaging, systematic and interesting. I am really grateful to Craig and everyone behind the course to make it possible. You are a gift to us all. Thank you very much, truly and sincerely!

By Valdeck R

Dec 14, 2017

Very informative and engaging course for beginner who appreciate classical music and would like to start exploring this universe in a more academic way. Professor Wright is captivating in his ability to pass on to his students his knowledge and love for music. His lectures are fascinating and easy to follow even when the subject gets more technical. Thank you Professor Wright for making learning about classical music fun and interesting. Bravo!