Back to Introduction to Classical Music

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Classical Music by Yale University

Using a simple and enjoyable teaching style, this course introduces the novice listener to the wonders of classical music, from Bach fugues to Mozart symphonies to Puccini operas....

SL

Mar 07, 2019

Really appreciate Prof. Wright give us such rich content and sophisticated course. I really enjoy and love it. I am looking forward to seeing more high-level courses from Prof. Wright if there is any.

ER

Mar 08, 2016

This course has a lot of information. It is well organized, and so many music illustrations. I am really enjoying this course, and will freely recommend it to anyone interested in classical music.

126 - 150 of 793 Reviews for Introduction to Classical Music

By Hasan F G

Sep 02, 2020

What a fascinating learning experience, a joyful, enriching journey with Prof. Wright through man's history of music and fine arts, looking into a wide spectrum of sounds, sights, movements and culture. I wish the course were a never-ending one. Heartfelt gratitude to Prof. Craig Wright, Yale Broadcast Center and the Yale University.

By Enyu L

Aug 03, 2020

A great and engaging course to learn about some music theories and different styles of Western classical music! I really appreciate the instructor and other members of the team that put the course together and put it out on Coursera. I feel like classical music sounds different to my ears now, and I am inspired to learn more. Thanks!

By Isabel R

Jun 13, 2020

I am very satisfied and excited with this course! It is very beautiful and interesting course! Indeed, the professor Craig M. Wright makes it more interesting and entertaining!! He is an excellent professional, and delightful to hear and look at!!

My best regards for him!

PD: I am waiting for his published book coming out this year..!

By Mirna A E A

May 29, 2016

I simply love the course! I've rarely seen a professor who is so good in fascinating his students. I feel like I'm not only learning a lot in this course, but that it is also great fun learning with Prof. Wright. Thank you very much for that, I really appreciate the work everyone has put into this course, it was definitely worth it!

By Inga V

Jan 29, 2016

The course will be difficult for those who have no musical training. I enjoyed the course, though I often wished Dr Wright didn't play the piano himself as wrong notes spoil the impression. I'm also puzzled why a renowned musician like Robert Blocker plays Chopin's prelude in C minor wrong. Thank you for the course, Yale.

By Maria

Feb 19, 2019

Haven't finished watching yet, but absolutely love the material, surprised at times by the accuracy of the comparisons with architecture, art, philosophy and teology even. Professor Wright is incredible - so happy to have stumbled upon the course, and what luck it is to be introduced to music by such a talented teacher.

By Clara K

Mar 31, 2019

Wonderful introduction to the world of classical music. I learned some music theory as well as a great overview of the history of music. I have been playing instruments for fun since I was a child, but I feel like I have a greater understanding and appreciation of music now. Thank you for sharing this with the public.

By Pablo D C

I find this course essential if you are interested in classical music. It is a great way to grow as a musician (I am a nonclassical musician) and as a listener. The simple explanations and the organisation of the teaching material make it very easy to understand everything, even if you don't know so much about music.

By Ricardo C d S L

Jun 15, 2018

Great course! Really helped me to get to know the main works of the History of Music, and to grow the taste for classical music. Excellent didactic by Professor Craig and his team on the "Office Hours". Enjoyed so much, and now will keep learning with all the suggestions of music to listen received during the course.

By Joan M L

Jul 18, 2020

it's by far the best way to introduce yourself into classical music even if you ever listened to or think of it as a boring subject.

professor Wright spreads his love for music with well explained examples and a fine sense of humor.

I wish all music teachers i had when i was a student were like professor Wright-

By Chelsea N H

I really enjoyed this course. This course really broadened my knowledge of classical music and it definitely lived up to my expectations. I was never really experienced in classical music but this course has sparked my interest in it. If you take this course, I am positive you will be happy with its results.

By Stephan N

Jul 04, 2020

This course gives a broad overview of Western classical music from the Middle Ages to the 21st century. The first three weeks give an overview of some basic music theory, so if you have a background in music, you may want to breeze through those quizzes and get right to week 4, where the action really starts.

By Diep C H

Apr 10, 2020

Excellent!!!, a huge thank to the team for putting this together, especially Mr. Craig Wright, I have gained a lot insight and appreciated classical music even more, I love the way the class was taught, it's very visual, interesting and in a moderate length. Definitely love love love the office hour too <3

By Fernanda G

Jun 02, 2020

Un curso muy bueno. El profesor tiene un carisma que resulta muy grato al momento de aprender temas tan densos como la historia de la música clásica. Lo único que me costó como estudiante de Chile fue que entender las traducciones y diferencias de nombres entre la escala ABCDEFG vs Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Si.

By Olya M

Nov 19, 2017

Очень довольна курсом! Интересный взгляд на западную европейскую музыку (и искусство в целом), взгляд американца. Новые параллели, новые примеры. Хорошие, не скучные лекции (с субтитрами или без), жаль, что курс окончился.

Хочется продолжать и узнавать новое или повторить "старое" вместе с Йелем.

Спасибо !

By Ritsu N

May 29, 2016

This was a fantastic course!! I truly enjoyed Prof. Wright's lectures and listening to tons of beautiful and interesting music pieces with his informative commentaries. What a wonderful experience! I would recommend this course to anyone who loves classical music or is interested learning more about it.

By Susan C

Aug 05, 2020

An outstanding course with amazing multi-modal coverage of Classical musical history, cultural and technological influences, and lots and lots of music to listen to and great support to understand it! I really loved this course and learned much more than I thought possible. Craig is an amazing teacher!

By shuhua

Sep 14, 2020

Professor Craig Wright is so knowledgeable. He teaches a difficult subject with interesting art examples and music pieces. Especially, he has a strong musical networking, he brought some distinguished colleagues and friends to demon the music. I learn so much from this course. Highly recommended.

By Álvaro R

Jul 04, 2020

Es un curso muy completo, muy fácil de llevar incluso para quien no cuenta con una educación musical formal previa, puesto que cuenta con una buena cantidad de material tanto auditivo como visual. Las explicaciones del profesor son claras y las evaluaciones requieren de la concentración necesaria.

By Tim M

Dec 14, 2017

This class is part music-theory, part music appreciation, part exposition, and part history.

I enjoyed the guest presentations, breakdown of compositions, and visualizations that were created for some of the compositions.

It's one of the best classes I've ever taken, I can't recommend it enough.

By gloria l

Jul 12, 2018

Having a total blast and it’s only week one. The explanations, visuals and modern comparisons are a delight ! ( who ever came up with comparing and contrasting Swedish House Mafia with a classical example is a genius!) The tutor is ace the curriculum looks clear and simple. Thank you Thank you

By jose i m

Sep 07, 2020

Excelente curso para todos los amantes de la música. Desde su historia, teoría, biografía y anécdotas de los principales compositores. Este curso sirve para entender y estudiar conceptos que ayudarán a quienes tocan algún instrumento, y a quienes incluso no sean fanáticos de la música clásica.

By Aldo B

Feb 02, 2018

I'm really satisfied, everything was awsome. I just wish that it could be a little longer and deeper in some sections, but, in general, it was really good. Now that i complete the course i feel pleased and grateful for everyone involved and for the existence of internet. Thanks from Brazil!

By Elias B

Such a fun and educational course for the classical music lover. It'll make my visits to the opera and symphony even that much more engaging. Thank you for opening up this course during the Pandemic -- it provided solace during these unprecedented times. That's what music does, right? :)