Back to Introduction to Climate Change and Health

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Climate Change and Health by Yale University

Climate change is one of the greatest threats to human health in the 21st century. Yet these impacts to health are still not well recognized. Since you can’t change what you don’t understand, this course is designed to equip health and environmental professionals, as well as other changemakers and the public, with critical and usable knowledge to take positive action. The course begins with an introduction to the science of climate change and how climate change affects human health. It takes a deep dive into climate change’s adverse health effects, including those related to extreme heat, waterborne infections, insect-borne diseases, and exposure to storms and floods. Throughout, the theme of health equity is interwoven by pointing to what factors make some populations more vulnerable than others to climate change’s negative health impacts. Finally, the course explains how measures to reduce greenhouse gas emissions can not only limit future climate change but can also generate substantial immediate health “co-benefits” over and above the benefit of reducing climate change. Following completion of the course, students will be able to: · At an introductory level, describe how the climate has changed, explain the role of greenhouse gases in climate change, and describe how the climate is predicted to change in the future. · Describe how climate change adversely impacts population health, with differing vulnerability across population sub-groups, through direct effects; through ecosystem transformation and degradation; and through the stress it places on political, economic, and social systems. · Explain how adaptation and mitigation strategies can reduce adverse health impacts of climate change and can generate substantial non-climate health benefits in a just and equitable manner....

PS

Aug 21, 2020

Thanks to Yale University. This is really very informative course for beginners who needs to know each dynamics of the protection of our nature by combating the climate change.

SA

May 04, 2020

Great course for getting one's feet wet in the world of climate change. I learned a few very interesting things and look forward to more in the next two classes in the series.

1 - 25 of 89 Reviews for Introduction to Climate Change and Health

By flighting

Oct 21, 2019

Very helpful and giving ideas

By Mirco P

Apr 10, 2020

Well intended course for those looking for a brief overview on the main concept of climate change and the most common impact climate change has on health. Specific diseases are discussed in details. The final assignment is a 400 words long analysis on 3 adverse impact of climate change on health in a specific region (you have to choose the region at the beginning of the course and every assignment should consider that region for reference). Plus, you have to identify 3 sub-group of the region population affected by the climate change impacts.

By KANDUKURI V S

Oct 27, 2019

Great Course and well covered by Prof

By Luis G P

Oct 30, 2019

Excellent course

By MICAEL N K

Oct 02, 2019

Great course. Clear and robust information provided. I even learned from topics that I thought I mastered. Support staff and teachers should be more proactive in Forums to enrich the experience. If you want to get a deeper understanding of climate change impacts, this is your course.

By Shelley R G

Nov 08, 2019

Well sone and wall laid out. Covers a lot of material, studies and analysis and varying opinions. I learned a lot from this class and would recommend it to anyone in any field.

By Rajendra T

Oct 06, 2019

Topic is good but there are lot of items which could be improved in course. Slides were messy and confusing, containing lot of repetitions. Presentation style also could be improved a bit.

By Patel Y S

Dec 20, 2019

This course is really great, they provide knowledge in depth, best course for beginners to learn about climate change

By Kryzhevich M

Nov 26, 2019

This course is a very interesting for me.

By David S - E

Nov 22, 2019

great, concise and on point.

By Anna S

Apr 13, 2020

This course was fantastic. Really opened up my eyes. I highly recommend as a tool for learning more about our planet and the effect we have on it. On the smallest scale, it's given me passion to pursue mitigation efforts to help lessen climate change personally, and on the largest scale, it's given me the knowledge and confidence to discuss climate change with friends and family, reconstructing their ideas about the reality of this problem and changing their responses for the better of the planet. I wish this instructor was teaching the next course - he was great! He took complex concepts and paired them down into simple ideas. I never felt like any of the material was beyond my understanding because of him.

By LINDAMULAGE Y H F

May 09, 2020

great course but it would have been better if some of the sessions were more interactive sessions as the content felt quite similarly structured and it would be great if the quizzes could be improved a bit more. but all in all, it was a great experience and learning opportunity which I am glad I took. Thank you

By Manal A

The course material was interesting and informative, and I enjoyed doing the assignments. The course presentations were a bit dull, however, and overall the course would benefit from more interactive or visual presentations.

By Wee H L

Jun 02, 2020

Good course, easy to follow through, but the lectures were dry

By Rahul R

Apr 19, 2020

This is an introductory course but beautifully delivered. Very informative course. This course motivates why we need to start taking action to save mother earth and humanity. Thanks for making a course on a very important topic.

By steven a

May 04, 2020

By Tej S

Jun 15, 2020

I don't really like the idea of 60% of grades being determined by peer-review as one of the people who reviewed my work gave a review which I don't agree with.

By Khairunnisaa' B S

Jul 01, 2020

Great insight and lecturer provided a lot of data and statistics but he could have been more engaging :)

By MJ

Apr 01, 2020

professor completely dull and robotic; not engaging; simply reads slides

By M.Venkatakrishnan -

Sep 18, 2020

One of the best specializations available in Coursera. The instructor explains the topic from the ground level and goes to the specifics. After completion of this course, I know what are the major health issues which are likely to occur after a natural disaster.

The Import aspect of this course is that it teaches how public health gets affected due to climate change with the aid of the latest climate change model.

#loved_it

By Nancy B

Feb 06, 2020

Hi

The course 'Introduction to Climate Change and Health' was engaging and informative. The information was referenced and fact based. I enjoyed learning about this topic as the current environment in Australia is impacted by extreme heat and an extended bushfires season. I do recommend this Yale course! Nancy

By Elyson K P E

Oct 19, 2020

As an environmental scientist, I enjoyed this course because I was able to review some of the climate change principles that I have been taught in graduate school. I also appreciated seeing graphs that span decades thus solidifying the point that climate change must indeed be addressed in the present.

By Nastia T

Jul 12, 2020

Good courses about climate change impact, good materials self-study, exactly been said that climate change is serious threat for health various social groups thus people has vote for protect environment. So I want to continued this cycle of courses for full understanding global problem. I promise

By Eileen H S Y

The course teaches very in-depth content and backs it up with a lot of research data. It also sends a powerful message as to why we should care about climate change not just because of the adverse impacts on earth but also on people's health.

By Mohammad S B

Sep 10, 2020

Excellent course for beginners. It would be easier to catch if you have science background. Thank you Professor Robert Dubrow and the team for creating this online course about the current burning issues.

I am completing this specialization.