Back to Introduction to Software Product Management

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Software Product Management by University of Alberta

This course highlights the importance and role of software product management. It also provides an overview of the specialization, as well as its goals, structure, and expectations. The course explains the value of process, requirements, planning, and monitoring in producing better software....

NK

Jan 11, 2019

The course was very interactive, useful and interesting. I can definitely apply the knowledge that I gained out of this course to my day on day work on Software Management. Kudos to the production and

ED

Feb 19, 2018

Though it is an introductory course, it is packed with great information about managing a software product. I enjoyed the course, and I am moving on with the next course on the SPM specialization.

726 - 747 of 747 Reviews for Introduction to Software Product Management

By Igor A

Feb 17, 2016

Not really about Product Management, but about Project Management

By vaibhav r

Nov 01, 2015

The Course could have been covered in a more interesting way

By mostafa-ibraheem

Sep 12, 2017

need more examples to be more specific

By Boris S

Mar 24, 2016

Only the link agilemanifesto.org has real value in this course. The rest is self-PR and "water". I see no reason paying for the sertificate and I am not convinced further cources of this specialization will deliver greater value.

By Brian D

Nov 02, 2015

Defiantly the worse MOOC I have taken. Does the specialisation need such a long introduction?

By Hameed A

Dec 11, 2016

The quizzes are about the course structure and not product management.

By Allen J

Apr 18, 2017

The course seems to be a course in Scrummerfall, i.e., a mixture of Scrum and Waterfall. After having briefly discussed the Agile Manifesto, which emphasizes things like "People over processes," what is the first thing that they dive into? Processes where they say things like "Requirements combined with processes are the backbone of any successful software project." I would disagree. Requirements and processes are important, but people and communications are the backbone of any successful software project.

I'm dropping this specialization and searching for another course that really follows Agile methodologies.

By BAI X

Aug 24, 2019

Too general without any specific skills

By Mathias D

Nov 05, 2019

Very, very basic... more like fishing for customers to apply for the other courses. Yet, still quite the motivated and enthusiastic team.

By Roy V

Jan 07, 2016

This is a very old fashion way of looking at development and developers. Where developers are considered resources and minions that need to follow orders. Modern development techniques value developers and allow them to be much more active players. Product Manager is not a MANAGER but a facilitator. This course describes the view that developers are loose canons that need to be managed and that upfront planning and estimation are the right path. I do not agree at all with this view.

Should you happen to agree with this view, the Course is well explained and presented well.

By siyu l

May 17, 2016

nothing helpful

By kiran v

Dec 19, 2017

No useful info(at least in the introduction course). This is just an overview of what they're going to cover in the rest of the specialization and a huge waste of time. Thanks!

By Daniel O

Oct 30, 2017

Good overview for people without any background at all.

Otherwise, mostly stating the obvious.

By Boris B

Feb 10, 2016

Content is very basic. I believe this can be useful for school graduates, but if you have at least a couple years of hands-on experience, you shouldn't find anything new.

By Alberto G G

Jan 17, 2016

Not really useful as course, but only as introduction to other materials... feels more like an ad than a real course

By Vivek G

Apr 12, 2016

It was too basic for me.

By Sateesh K

May 20, 2016

Very shallow coverage, doesnt have the scope to be an entire Course!

By Catherine M

May 11, 2016

I can't complete the course without passing the graded content, but I can't complete the graded content unless I pay money and upgrade. Not the purpose of thes courses.

By Paulo A

Dec 17, 2015

Mostly a bunch of unsubstantiated and dogmatic cliches flaunted around. The "Agile" buzzword in its best and most "religious" form.

By Suresh S

Oct 22, 2015

Difference between a Software Project and a Software Product - of course it is defined by convention, but it is there and is pretty generally understood. Typical software projects are bespoke applications developed for the use of one organization and typically automates a business process. A S/w product, on the other hand, is built and sold to a range of users in the target group, who can be individuals to large organizations. This course does not seem to address any of the issues faced by a S/w Product Manager. I think this course completely misses the point.

By Yourie K

Jul 22, 2017

Wasted time, material is super common sense, I went straight to the quiz and was able to ace it using common sense, and then I watched the videos/read. I don't have any background in this PM stuff. I think the next course will be more useful.

By pengwei

Jul 04, 2016

This course is just pulling the knowledge without basic logic. I have no idea what I have learned.