Back to An Intuitive Introduction to Probability

Learner Reviews & Feedback for An Intuitive Introduction to Probability by University of Zurich

This course will provide you with a basic, intuitive and practical introduction into Probability Theory. You will be able to learn how to apply Probability Theory in different scenarios and you will earn a "toolbox" of methods to deal with uncertainty in your daily life. The course is split in 5 modules. In each module you will first have an easy introduction into the topic, which will serve as a basis to further develop your knowledge about the topic and acquire the "tools" to deal with uncertainty. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to complete 5 exercise sessions to reflect about the content learned in each module and start applying your earned knowledge right away. The topics covered are: "Probability", "Conditional Probability", "Applications", "Random Variables", and "Normal Distribution". You will see how the modules are taught in a lively way, focusing on having an entertaining and useful learning experience! We are looking forward to see you online!...

NS

Sep 17, 2017

Superb course. I am very impressed with the way the faculty explained real world examples through the probability concepts. I wish we can have more courses from him on statistics and machine learning.

RR

Jun 17, 2017

Amazing course to understand the nature of probability and its applications. Lecture delivery by Karl is fabulous and the efforts put in by Jose is highly appreciable. Hoping for an advance course.

151 - 175 of 271 Reviews for An Intuitive Introduction to Probability

By Johnny T

Mar 22, 2017

This short course offers informative and fun real world examples.

By Floyd D

Jul 31, 2017

I've been trying for years to get to a point where probability doesn't scare me more than clowns. This class has done it for me. He's done an excellent job demystifying the subject and extracting the points one actually needs to understand from all the nice-to know's. Highly recommend the class to anyone in fields like statistics, Bayesian Networks, or data science.

By Georgia P

Jun 06, 2018

Thank you!

By George

Apr 22, 2017

Well narrated, really easy to understand. A hundred percent will recommend to my friends. Thank you Professor!

By Sarwar S

Nov 01, 2017

very well structured course , a must take for someone who is looking for a career in field of analytics and statistics.

By Victoria A

May 02, 2017

Excellent course and the instructor is doing a great job.

By Michael P

Jul 27, 2017

Engaging!

By Supratim P

Dec 02, 2017

Good course to get examples on real life examples on probability

By Martina C

Mar 30, 2018

The teacher is funny and clear, he made me love Probability!

By christopher w

Feb 23, 2018

Excellent course, the instructors were engaging and succeeded in making the course fun. I learned a lot from this and it did not feel like work at all, rather it was a pleasure to participate. Very nicely done indeed!

By Giovanni V

Dec 03, 2017

It finally got me convinced of bayes' theorem rationality (I used it a lot before).

There are a lot other courses about probability and statistics that goes way deeper, but this one imho is definitely the best to start, since it explains thoroughly the basic concepts, letting the student overcome their initial counter-intuitivity.

Feb 16, 2017

Professor Schmedders succeeds in giving a very intuitive exposition of the basics of probability, eschewing most formulas while still covering many of the key concepts needed for studying probability and statistics. He has great enthusiasm for the material and injects just the right amount of humor into the course, so the lectures are never boring.

The course would serve as a good "taster" of what probability is all about for those unfamiliar with the subject, or as a warmup or refresher in preparation for more technical courses.

By Carlos V

Sep 19, 2017

Excelente curso introductorio a las probabilidades. Es un gran comienzo para entrar en el mundo de las decisiones.

By Matthew A

Oct 16, 2017

A great overview of basic probability, with interesting applications and motivating examples.

Short quizzes after each video gives invaluable quick feedback on comprehension.

Prof Schmedders is an engaging and insightful instructor.

My only criticism is that it is just 5 weeks of material, it's all over too soon. A followup course would be wonderful.

By Dave G

May 10, 2018

Excellent introductory course - thank you Karl, very good teacher, much appreciated.

By Jorge V

May 28, 2018

The course is a good introduction. There are certain aspects of the course I was not prepared and I had to do extra research on my own. I did not obtain answers from the forum but being able to learn something on my own was really nice and I felt like I did something great for myself.

By Stanislav C

Jul 13, 2017

Great course! Very useful, interesting and easy to understand.

By Paul K

Jul 29, 2017

Taught from a very practical standpoint with no math derivations or excessive theory. The use of Microsoft Excel made it very easy to calculate probabilities. This course has numerous ral-world

By Daniela A L

May 20, 2018

Requiere un nivel muy básico del inglés. Es excelente para entender la teoría elemental de la probabilidad y para aprender las funciones básicas de esta en excel.

By WojciechŚwiderski

Jan 30, 2018

nice course

By Joseph L

Dec 30, 2017

This is an amazing course that Pr Karl's lively lecture make difficult and complicated concept simple and clear, not only easy to understand but also easy to apply. I do appreciate Pf. Karl and TA Jose.

By Jayaganesh G

Dec 17, 2017

The Best.

By Victoria L

May 31, 2018

Excellent course to introduce or review concepts of statistics and probability. I found the calculations of probabilities much easier to do than before starting the course and following the Excel functions. I also loved the energy and charisma of both Professor Karl and assistant Jose as well as the types of exercises (e.g. Biles Olympic performances or the probabilities to survive being hit by an asteroid). Please, please, please, do another on-line course like this one for next level statistics. I would love to learn more about Bayesian applications, for example, and through your teachings. In short, I highly recommend this course for a refresher of statistics and for learning statistics in a fun an applicable way. Cheers!

By Robert E

Aug 11, 2017

A really great course with good explanations. My favorite parts were the applications in week 3 and finally understanding what a z-score is (week 5).

By Sophia A

Dec 29, 2017

It really has inspired my interest in the probability in this uncertain world. A lot of quite useful applications as well. I've had a lot of fun in the study. I love this course!